Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 12:25:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Punching grommets through webbing.

Started by Grebo, March 15, 2011, 10:17:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I like that one, too!  So, Bob, do you have to wear oven mitts?   ;)

Bob T

March 16, 2011, 04:00:28 pm #16 Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:08:15 pm by Bob T
Surprisingly, no oven mitts.  I can usually do about 20 holes before it gets too hot to hold, then I let it cool while I put in the grommets.  Otherwise, I just dip the handle in cold water.  On sails, sometimes I need to go thru 10 layers or more.

Mike8560

Here  is my press mi had ro make a t top canvas this morning
indont put webbing were the grometts will be only 3 layers od canvas.
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/photo-91.jpg

Grebo

Nice Mike.  :D

The webbing is customers request  ::)
But I am pretty fed up with bashing the table everytime I need to fit them so I am going to invest in the grommet dies & button cutters to fit my osborne W1 button press, that should do it.  ;D

Mike8560

Sorry to hikack but has anyone had trouble with selfpiercing grometts latly

For me they just don't cut anymore maybe it's cheap metal.

Bob T

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.  Here is the setup I use for the smaller grommets.  I heat the cutter and use the drill to spin it.  Cuts easily.

Darren Henry

QuoteI keep looking at my button press, I am sure I could something with it.

Yes you can. Check your local tool stores for a punch set where the different sizes share one handle. Think of a socket set that snap onto an extension. There is a set out at work if you want a picture Monday {I don't want to see that ignorant S.O.B until punch in Monday}

Plan "B"; find a piece of stout tubing the right diameter, sharpen the end on your grindstone and cut to the length you need.

Not only does the end grain wood /rubber pad * save your tool they make a cleaner hole because the die can go into them and any "low spots" on the cutting edge get a chance to catch up and do their job .

* My favorite for the button press is a men's heel lift [that rubber piece on the bottom of the heel of his shoe]. I buy them wholesale for a buck or two a pair. Tell your cobbler what you need it for and he/she should have varying densities to choose form. I punch into the back side. The face usually has something embossed on it.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike8560

Bob that looks lime how we usx to stud our snowmobile tracks carbide studs fir traction on ice   
We did t heat it though just lit it in. Drill and cut the holes   

Grebo

Quote from: Darren Henry on March 18, 2011, 04:32:35 pm
QuoteI keep looking at my button press, I am sure I could something with it.

Yes you can. Check your local tool stores for a punch set where the different sizes share one handle. Think of a socket set that snap onto an extension. There is a set out at work if you want a picture Monday {I don't want to see that ignorant S.O.B until punch in Monday}

Cool thanks Darren, I will go look on Monday, everyone's closed today as it's Fathers day  ::)

Suzi

Darren Henry

Father's Day  :o  :o  :o Oh crap!!! Do we celebrate it the same day over here in Canada? I thought it was in June. I've already overlooked one birthday this year. The girlfriend's 60 Th.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike8560

Darren down here it's called. "woman friend"

Grebo

Quote from: Darren Henry on March 20, 2011, 08:18:38 am
Father's Day  :o  :o  :o Oh crap!!! Do we celebrate it the same day over here in Canada? I thought it was in June. I've already overlooked one birthday this year. The girlfriend's 60 Th.

No I think Spain has it anytime they feel like it  ;D   Definitely not the same as the UK anyway.  ;)

I have been around loads of shops this morning & not one has the set you are talking about  >:(, I know exactly what you mean, there is a couple in the Osborne catalog.
I even went to an industrial ferreteria ( iron mongers I guess you call it ) & all they had where the single punches like I have anyway. So I got a couple of new one's & will cut down the old ones. :(
I might go & try the heat method just to get this job done.  Thanks Bob.  ;)

Suzi

gene

This is one of the reasons I enjoy this site. When I saw the topic, "Punching grommets through webbing", I thought maybe one or two replies.

I have done grommets for shower curtains and a few times for drapes. And once for a tarp that a friend was going to use for camping.

I never knew that it was such an important part of marine work. I must have thought subconsciously that all those grommets came with the fabric.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

JuneC

A single t-top can take hundreds of grommets.

http://www.centuryboats.com/images/uploads/boats/2102IS-ttop.jpg

I have a floor-standing, foot operated, Stimpson.  Unfortunately, I don't have self-piercing dies for it so holes must be cut first.  I have yet to find self-piercing grommets with spur washers anyway.  No idea why the two concepts can't be combined.  You can either get self-piercing, or spur, but never have found both in a single grommet. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

DBR1957

Don't do grommets on a regular basis but the last job I did was about 4 gross with hammer
style punch, #1 spur grommets. Narrow storm curtains on a huge houseboat. The real trick
to cutting the hole in webbing is to cut with the webbing side up. Always worked best for
me. I've always just used plywood or Starboard scrap as a backer.