Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 12:53:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

big one

Started by Mike, January 10, 2013, 01:45:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I got a call from a guy wanting a full to the waterline summer cover ( funny hey northern friends) on a 45 sundancer.
140 yards

Darren Henry

A hundred and forty yards huh?;You and John had better start bulking up on steak and eggs---or offer to host to inaugural Florida BBQ and bullshoot. That's a lot of canvas to be draggin' around. :P
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

from a email tonight I think hes got sticker shock. I realy didn't feel like mussling that all hanging off onto the floor :o

Mike

January 11, 2013, 06:49:57 am #3 Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:35:34 am by MikeM8560
He showed me a sample. From  a friend that looked like recacril. And told me that recscril is $10.a sy cheaper then sunbrella   And he has a swrinkerap. Un and eith 190 bucks for plastic can make a cover
45' searay to the waterline!

And why  am i sick of this stuff

DBR1957

I just love it when people think they know more about our business than we do.

I've actually told a couple of people, "If you know so much, why are you even talking to me?
Let me know when you get it done and I'll come by and take a look."

First giveaway is he quoted Recacril/Sunbrella by the square yard. Anyone here ever buy fabric
by the square yard before?

Funny thing is, after the first time he put it on, he would never want to do it again.

Mike

On the phone he said he had a sheinkwrap gun and has done his own shrinkwrap uP north. That was a cheap sign there

Peppy

Tell him to shrinkwrap his boat and you can use that as a pattern. Save him all kinds of money.

;P
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mike

if he shrinkwraps It it will be a moldy mess

gene

January 11, 2013, 03:36:15 pm #8 Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:40:50 pm by gene
My wife has a hair dryer. I tell people that I have a shrink wrap gun too.   :D

Some people want custom work at a Wal Mart price.

I had a lady this week choose a $159.00 per yard (lineal yard, not Sq. Yd.) for a sofa at 22 yards. Sticker shock until she found out what a new sofa of the same name and same high end would cost today: $7,500.00.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

zanepurcell

explain that you quote things by the cans of vinyl spray paint that it will cost to re-do their stuff.
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=117
Zane

DBR1957

Mike - Did you ask him how much he thought it would cost to have the custom cover made?

There is a company called Fisher Canvas (not sure) that makes full winter storage covers. I think
they came to our marina once and did a cover from measurements for a 36' for $1,800.00. They
use treated duck, maybe Durafin.

Mike

Ive heard of them ive seen cotton canvas alot cheaper then reactio or sunbrella too.
And i estimated  140 yards    Im glad not to do it. 
I agree with June not wanting big covers

JuneC

For sure.  The cover would weigh well over 100 pounds.  That's just crazy. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

raindodger

When I decided to get into canvas work, my first paying job was a full cover on a 36ft sailboat.  That was more than enough canvas to wrestle with the amount of space (and experience) that I had (basically my living room)...  I didnt have any tables yet either.  Just the stand my machine sits on, so it was hanging on the floor, pulling its self off the table.   I had to fight it the whole way, I was soooo glad when I was finally done with that thing.  Not a fan of the bigger covers, but it was an excellent learning experience

Grebo

Quote from: JuneC on January 12, 2013, 08:02:45 am
For sure.  The cover would weigh well over 100 pounds.  That's just crazy. 

June

And how the feck would he fit it !

Suzi