Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 11:04:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Anyone done one of these tables

Started by Highvelocity, January 09, 2013, 01:48:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Highvelocity

I have a job coming up next week, its 5 chiropractic tables.  They are sectioned into 5-7 pieces, hand rest, middle, lower and leg sections.  I am thinking it's straight forward.  I just don't want to get burned if I quote about $200 a table plus material.  Or do I do one table and give him a price for the rest ??

Not the end of the world if I'm off a bit, but as always I respect all the opinions on this board.

Thanks,
    Ed
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

sofadoc

Some of the older ones tend to have stripped screws and bolts, spinning T-nuts, etc. So if it is falling on you to go to the office and remove the pieces, you might factor a little extra "aggravation time" in your estimate.

Otherwise, $200 plus material should cover you nicely.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

If they are not hydraulic take the complete table. If you run into trouble the customer doesn't see the work involved and how you do it. Also it keeps the office clean and they would prefer not to have a mess. And you will have the tools you may need. Your price seems a bit low to me but that would depend on where your market is.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

zanepurcell

keep in mind that these tables sell used for around $6k.  The pads are just covered with four side seams and chased around the edges with marine hidem. The nail heads are not orig.
Zane

zanepurcell

the main issue is that they are giant and weigh a ton.

Highvelocity

Zane, you're right about the weight.  There is no way I am taking the tables with me.  I will remove the pads there and keep my fingers crossed nothing strips out...lol  Cool so $200 sounds good, I appreciate the input on that.  I will post some pictures here soon, waiting for vinyl to arrive and then I will have at it.

DBR1957

How much is a new table? Have you done one before? Sounds like a recipe to lose $$ to me.
Do the first on time and materials then give a discount for doing all of them. Or do the first
for $200, track your time and let the customer know the price for the remaining will be
adjusted accordingly. If they think the price adjustment isn't worth it then you've only lost
on one chair.

zanepurcell

DBR,

if someone pulled that stunt on me, I would put them out of business.
ZGP

Darren Henry

The cost of a new table is irrelevant IMO.I can however see DBR's point that {if no price has already been quoted} Ed could speak to the customer and explain that while the upholstery principles are old hat he hasn't done one of these in a while,and can't remember exactly how long the last one took, so would like to do one to make sure that his estimate of $200 is fair to everyone.

As a consumer with a "niche" project like this I would certainly understand, and I'd respect his honesty. Who knows---it might even be a wee bit less :-\

I can see Zane's take on this as well---you obviously couldn't do this after a quote was given.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

DBR1957

Quote from: zanepurcell on January 11, 2013, 04:02:52 pm
DBR,

ZGP

What stunt? Agree to do the first one for $200 with the understanding that if it actually
takes more time than anticipated he will let the customer know before proceeeding. The
customer will be in control of going forward and HV will protect himself from a loss. If HV
has never done one of these before he has to protect himself from losses and will be
upfront and honest with the customer.

I don't know how you read my post but no bad intent was presented on my part.

DBR1957

Quote from: DBR1957 on January 11, 2013, 05:37:07 pm
Quote from: zanepurcell on January 11, 2013, 04:02:52 pm
DBR,

ZGP

What stunt? Agree to do the first one for $200 with the understanding that if it actually
takes more time than anticipated he will let the customer know before proceeeding. The
customer will be in control of going forward and HV will protect himself from a loss. If HV
has never done one of these before he has to protect himself from losses and will be
upfront and honest with the customer.

I don't know how you read my post but no bad intent was presented on my part. Next time
I will spell it out for you.

Highvelocity

Well, the reason I made this post wasn't to get anyone upset.  I think no matter what trade your in, you run the risk of a job eating your lunch.  So in order to help avoid that, you get as much info as you can.  You guys on this board have seen and done just about everything out there...  So if I said $200 and it was way of line, I knowyou guys would let me know. 

Ed

sofadoc

Quote from: Highvelocity on January 14, 2013, 07:50:11 am
So if I said $200 and it was way of line, I knowyou guys would let me know.
Like Paul said, what seems about right in one part of the country may seem low in another.
I've done those tables before for around $350 vinyl included. Sometimes I wish that I'd gotten a little more to cover all the aggravation of stripped screws and bolts.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

ill do one seat on a boat probly smaller one piece for about $200 no foam  do you also have to add new foam?

Highvelocity

Hey Mike, no just doing skins, no foam.   But based on what your saying, and what I am hearing from Sofadoc, I may go $250 or $300.