Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 26, 2024, 07:44:16 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Church Job

Started by kodydog, May 04, 2018, 06:26:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

It's been awhile. I'm not sure if y'all remember the church job I started Nov 2015. The church was destroyed when they set an over weight steeple on the roof. It crushed the roof and bowed the walls. With the help of some church members we striped the pews. While I was there I could see much work was needed on the building before I could began to cover them. They were sure they would be in by Christmas but I didn't think so.

The contractor kept screwing up and finally they had to fire him. And the church sat unfinished for a while. We drove by a last march and a lot of work was still needed. I honestly thought we would never finish this job.

They called this week and said the church is almost finished. Rose told them we could start in July. :)
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

I guess I have been here awhile. I do remember this.
So what do you do, are you bringing the pews back to shop or do they just need cushions.
There are a few churches around here, I hadn't really thought of that work. Do they want you to be a member though?

SteveA

A building for Worship with cushioned pews.  I believe when you attend they want you to stay a while.  In our Roman Catholic Church there are no cushions just oak pews.  45 minutes, pass the basket, final Blessing and out you go.
SA

gene

I've always heard that Catholics never bother to take their coats off in church. They're not going to be there very long.

I grew up in a Christian evangelical church. It started early and always ended well after the normal lunch hour.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

After service one Sunday my old man handed the minister a lemon. Dad hated when the sermon lasted after noon. This cut into his Sunday football games.

To answer your question 65, I will be covering the pews at the church. The seats and backs are attached. 30 pews. I'll work 10 hour days to help cut down on the 45 minute trips. I figure 4 to 5 pews per day.

Mojo

Having grown up in the Catholic church and attending Catholic schools I have attended many masses. One oddity of the Catholic's is their kneeling during certain parts of the mass. I always thought that was to keep people from falling asleep.

Now at my age I kneel down on those padded kneelers and then I pray I can stand back up. :)

Mojo

gene

I think all the standing and sitting and kneeling and standing and sitting and kneeling, is to loosed up your pants so you can get to your wallet easier when the collection plate comes around.

"Don't make me holler don't make me shout. Turn those pockets inside out. It it jingles we'll take it, but we prefer it to fold."
The Reverend Deuteronomy Skaggs.

gene

kodydog

August 10, 2018, 07:30:02 pm #7 Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:38:06 pm by kodydog
We started this elusive job this week. Last time we visited the church was last March and you could see the sky through the trusses. What a remarkable change when we walked in Tuesday. Just beautiful. They still have some lose ends to tie up and were installing the carpet this week. They have me set up in the kitchen/dining room. This works out very well except... a last minuet change order.

Wednesday the contractor was ripping out a block wall to make two rooms into one room. This involves a gas powered saw to take the wall down. The noxious fumes wafted into my work area and was thick with smoke. This meant the AC went off and doors and windows were opened. 99* outside, 88* inside. I was not happy but not much I could do.

Thursday and today was much better and church members are stopping by and loving the progress. Averaging 4 pews a day and I should be done sometime next week, if all goes well.

sofadoc

I just finished a small church a couple weeks ago. Twenty 10 ft. pews.
I had to crawl under them to remove a million seat screws. As with many small churches, they only run the A/C on Sunday. So it was about 1000 degrees in there.

When I finished the job, I was more exhausted than I think I've ever been in my life. As little as 5 years ago, I could've knocked that job out in half the time without even breaking a sweat. But this job made me realize that maybe I'm getting too old for this.

Then one of the church elders came by the shop. He told me that after I left, they decided to remove the seats again so they could touch up the wood finish. Members of the church unscrewed the seats and then re-installed them a few days later.

He said that it took 6 men a full day to do what I did solo in about 4 hours.

So maybe I'm not as old as I thought.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Yes there comes a time when age slows you down. I'm at the point where I would not take on a church job like that. If I got under the pews I would still be there LOL.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

When the bankers and lawyers volunteer to help it's surprising how inept they are.  I'd be shocked if they could back a screw out with a Phillips bit in the drill chuck without it slipping off the mark.  Their intentions are good but I would take one slightly aging "Doc" any day before I would hire the crew of weekend greenhorns.
SA

kodydog

How many of you find this to be the norm.

You get your part done but now have to wait for someone else to get their part done. We can pretty much set our schedule knowing the other party will not be ready when we are. No mater if its the decorator, cabinet maker or contractor. They tell you they will be ready but they never are.

I'm referring to the church job. They sent out two 12' pews to be cut in half thus making 4-6' pews. They assured me everything would be ready when I was. I'm ready but there like, maybe Wednesday. Happens every time. Fortunately I have plenty of other work to keep me busy.

gene

"They tell you they will be ready but they never are."

Many, many times I had a due date with an ID who was wanting to coordinate my upholstery deliveries with the window treatment installations and/or new furniture being delivered. And I got a call telling me the due date was pushed back because someone was not ready. Sometimes it was the painters or flooring people or carpenters who were not ready.

I never want to be the person who is not ready. I will occasionally remind my IDs that when they have a thousand details to worry about on a project with a homeowner or business owner, they never have to worry about my work. And they always agree with that.

"Because the customer has a need, we have a job to do. Because the customer has a choice, we must be the better choice. Because the customer has sensibilities, we must be considerate. Because the customer has an urgency, we must be quick. Because the customer is unique, we must be flexible. Because the customer has high expectations, we must excel. Because the customer has influence, we have the hope of more customers. Because of the customer, we exist!" Zig Zigler

gene

kodydog

August 14, 2018, 06:39:18 am #13 Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:39:58 am by kodydog
Thanks for the Zigler quote Gene. Good words to run a business by.

Rose is posting it on our FB business page.

SteveA

I'm not at all familiar with the Zigler quote.  I do know that kind of mission statement isn't easily followed by owners who are hands on.  When you're doing the work and running a business you can't be the jolly customer service person as well - at least I can't -
Two weeks ago a customer emailed me and asked if I could come out and fix the broken springs in her sofa.  She sent photos.  It appeared 3-4 ziggers were dislodged.  I gave her a price and she said I'm away for 10 days - I'll phone you when I'm back.  10 days pass and an email comes - I'm back I need a date for the repair.  I didn't have her address and needed to confirm the cost and tell her how much time I need in her home. I wanted to speak by phone.  I reply - it's better if we speak by phone.  The next day she emails me and is upset - ranting out loud that she doesn't have time for this email and I should have just emailed her a date.   I don't respond.  The next day she calls my machine and the message is - " either I get on the schedule today or I'll find someone else."   I thought good - she sounds like a nut. Let her go away -  2 days pass - she phones and I answer - again why haven't you scheduled.  I reply - it sounded like the 2 emails was heavy lifting for you and you said if I didn't call you'd find someone else.  With that she said FU and hung up.  The existence of that customer is not why I have survived in business. There are exceptions to that rule when you're one on one with customers.  Rose must be an Angel to be able to smooth over those crazies
SA