Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 09:59:14 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Storage charges for furniture?

Started by Rich, September 08, 2010, 06:07:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Does anyone assess storage charges for furniture left at their shop when the customer is holding up the work process, or just not picking it up when finished? If so, how much?
Thanks,
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

mike802

That's always been a sore subject between my wife and I.  She feel's if a piece is not picked up right away that storage fees should be assessed.  I tend to give the customer time, more than I should probably.  I think if storage fees are going to be charged it should be stated in writing on the original estimate, work order, or whatever you give the customer. I do not have that listed on the paper work I give the customer, so have been reluctant to charge for it.  Most of the time work is picked up in a timely manner, but some times it feels like I am being used for free storage.  I have a snowmobile seat that I repaired last Feb. the customer has paid half the bill, but I know he will not pick it up until snow starts to fly.  I have charged $5.00 a day on customers who have waited over thirty days to pick up their stuff, but that was only after I notified them in writing that they would be charged after a certain date.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Rich

QuoteI think if storage fees are going to be charged it should be stated in writing on the original estimate, work order, or whatever you give the customer.

Yes, of course that would be fair. I think every rule and/or regulation that has ever come about was done as a result of a person or person whose good nature was abused by someone else. If you don't see much of an abuse, it makes sense that you don't enact a policy to deal with it. But when it happens, you wish you had. I think it's something that needs to be done when you feel you're being taken advantage of too many times.
In my case, it's hardly ever a problem, but, I have a piece of furniture the customer has been slow about doing anything for. Getting back to me on the phone, dropping off a deposit and now bringing her fabric in and I'm starting to think that money could be a great motivator. Hopefully, it won't be necessary, but I wanted to know what others thought.
Thanks,

Hey, I'm reminded of an old story about a guy who is rummaging around in the attic and finds his old army uniform. Wondering if it still fits, he tries it on. As he's standing at the mirror, he puts his hand in the pocket and pulls out an old shoe repair ticket. So, now he's wondering if that repair shop might still be in business since it's in a part of town he hasn't been to in many years. He drives over, only to find that it's actually still there! He can't resist the urge to play a little joke, so he goes in and hands the ticket to the little old man behind the counter without saying a word. The little old man takes the ticket, puts on his glasses, looks at it and says "I'll be right back". A few minutes later, he comes out from the back room and says "your shoes will be ready next Tuesday"

I guess storage fees don't matter to everyone.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

bobbin

Lol, Rich!  I have been doing alteration work for a lot of years.  I inevitably wind up with someone's abandonned blazer with perfectly shortened sleeves.  I call weekly for 6 mos., then tell them to pick it up or it's going to be donated to charity (I keep phone records).  Usually they come in.  But some have not and have been horrified to find the garment is gone when they deign to "drop in". 

Tough luck!

sofadoc

I've had a few pieces over the years that I couldn't get the customer to pick up.
Kinda like when you wash your car, it rains. Same with furniture left too long. The minute I get rid of it, they come back for it. The funny thing is, even though I am well within my rights to sell, or dispose of stuff that hasn't been picked up, it doesn't stop the customer from telling EVERYONE in town what a "low-down, dirty dog" I am. And when they do, somehow MY version of the story gets lost in the translation.
Even though you can, and should charge a storage fee, or outright get rid of their stuff, remember, they have a mouth, and they know how to use it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

mike802

September 09, 2010, 04:06:12 pm #5 Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 04:15:04 pm by mike802
I had a woman leave an antique sofa with me for reupholstery.  I finished the job and called her, she came in only to pay a partial payment, then I never heard from her.  I called and left many messages, sometimes she pretended she was someone else.  I finally wrote her a very official sounding letter requiring a signature as proof she received it, threatening to auction off the sofa on ebay if I did not receive a response, in the letter I happened to mention that I was willing to take payments.  She called right up and apologized and made regular payments until the balance was paid, and she offered to pay extra for storage.

QuoteHey, I'm reminded of an old story about a guy who is rummaging around in the attic and finds his old army uniform. Wondering if it still fits, he tries it on. As he's standing at the mirror, he puts his hand in the pocket and pulls out an old shoe repair ticket. So, now he's wondering if that repair shop might still be in business since it's in a part of town he hasn't been to in many years. He drives over, only to find that it's actually still there! He can't resist the urge to play a little joke, so he goes in and hands the ticket to the little old man behind the counter without saying a word. The little old man takes the ticket, puts on his glasses, looks at it and says "I'll be right back". A few minutes later, he comes out from the back room and says "your shoes will be ready next Tuesday"

This reminds me of a real life story that happened to me.  A young private in the army came into my shop one day and asked me to recover a motorcycle seat.  He paid in full up front because he did not know when he would be back in town.  About 20 years go's buy and one day a Cournal shows up, he is in town for his wedding and was wondering if I could sew some fancy looking wings on to his hat.  I had to explain to him that my sewing machine would not take the shape of his hat and I had to send him to a guy who does shoe repair.  I ask him to wait for a moment, I go out into the shop and come back with the bike seat he left with me for recovering all those years ago.  He just about fell over :o  Come to find out he still has the bike ;D
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln

Rich

QuoteThis reminds me of a real life story that happened to me.  A young private in the army came into my shop one day and asked me to recover a motorcycle seat.  He paid in full up front because he did not know when he would be back in town.  About 20 years go's buy and one day a Cournal shows up, he is in town for his wedding and was wondering if I could sew some fancy looking wings on to his hat.  I had to explain to him that my sewing machine would not take the shape of his hat and I had to send him to a guy who does shoe repair.  I ask him to wait for a moment, I go out into the shop and come back with the bike seat he left with me for recovering all those years ago.  He just about fell over Shocked  Come to find out he still has the bike Grin

What's he been sitting on all these years? :o
Rich

mike802

QuoteWhat's he been sitting on all these years?

He told me the bike was in storage, had been for years and he total forgot about it.

chevman57

On reading this thread i`m glad to see i`m not the only one that has pieces i`ve worked on forgotten about and not picked up for a long time. With people doing this to a shop, this makes me ask. Do any of yall require a material deposit before starting on a job?
Terry

mike802

Terry, I usually require a 50% deposit on all work unless they have an open account with me. 

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

LOL.  I could write a small book on how many sewing machine were left at our shop.  People drop off for repair, and show up (a record) two and a half years later, like it was nothing.  I have about five right now left for over six months.  I don't know if they passed, left the country, or are in jail.  Disconnected numbers, all kinds of stuff.  OH, and the day I sell it or give it away...customer walks in or calls the next day, without fail.  Years later!

I like the deposit idea.  We have machines left after we informed cusotmer of a $60 repair bill.