Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 26, 2024, 05:20:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Incentives

Started by kodydog, November 03, 2013, 07:15:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Momto

There is a reason it's tolerated -  I've never owned a big company but I've been asked to watch things when the boss went away.  From that experience I can tell you that on the busiest day of the year your best guy with all the pride doesn't show up and that slacker starts looking pretty good.  Whatever the psychology is - some guys who don't usually perform will surprise you at times.  With respect to your thoughts - it's not having a bad boss - it's getting the work out no matter what
SA

sofadoc

Many companies have the attitude that instead of paying 10 good employees $20 hr., they'd rather pay 20 "warm bodies" $10 hr.

Then you have 20 people pretending to look busy all day because they only really have 3-4 hours worth of work to fill an 8 hour day. And yet somehow, they still manage to fall behind.

But as it's been pointed out. Adequate compensation (or even over-compensation) does not necessarily guarantee good performance. But under-compensation will definitely guarantee poor performance.

That's why many employers just go with the "Warm body" strategy. They may not get much (effort)........but then, they didn't pay much.

If you gave people the option of working their ass off for $20 hr., or screwing off all day for $10 hr., you'd be surprised at how many would take the 10 bucks.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Drove past a McDonald's yesterday.   On the marquee was a note, "Congratulations   Helen 40 Years."

Forty years working at McD?   Shoot me now. 

A friend of mine has a son who's pretty smart.  Got a degree in civil engineering, then a law degree.   When a  teenager, he worked briefly at Burger King.   A typical rookie shift was, "Here, watch this ten minute video on how to make french fries.   Then we'll put you on the fryer."   I think he lasted about 3 days and told the manager he really couldn't make a go of it.   The manager understood and said that they have a pretty high turnover for beginners.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Obviously, Helen brought her lunch from home for 40 years.

Because if she consumed the fare provided by her employer, she wouldn't have lived long enough to see her name on that marquee.

I flipped a few burgers in high school. It ain't exactly brain surgery. I can't imagine needing to see an instructional video.

momto3fatdogs

Quote from: sofadoc on November 08, 2013, 02:40:56 pm
I can't imagine needing to see an instructional video.

OMHeck! I laughed hard at that!

Sam

momto3fatdogs

Quote from: SteveA on November 08, 2013, 02:58:59 am
With respect to your thoughts - it's not having a bad boss - it's getting the work out no matter what

You might be right. I love these discussions. It actually gets me out of my little bubble.

Sam

byhammerandhand

You can train a skill.   It's more difficult to train an attitude.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

You can train a monkey. It's more difficult to train an unmotivated human.

Hire someone with motivation, intelligence, and integrity. You can teach them the skills. If they have motivation and intelligence, but not integrity, they will get you every time.

You cannot train someone who believes you owe them something, before they even begin to work for you.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: momto3fatdogs on November 08, 2013, 07:47:48 pm
Quote from: sofadoc on November 08, 2013, 02:40:56 pm
I can't imagine needing to see an instructional video.

OMHeck! I laughed hard at that!
Maybe detailed instructions for tasks that would SEEM self-explanatory really are necessary.

I was at a diner this morning, where I observed the owner showing a new-hire how to work the Cappuccino machine.
She repeatedly tried to explain that you had to take your hand off the button when the cup was about 2/3 full. The young girl only stood there with a blank stare. After several attempts, the woman gave up, and told her to go clean tables.

No amount of incentives can fix stupid. ???

SteveA

Gene
You state " Hire someone with motivation, intelligence, and integrity." 
I couldn't disagree more.  I hope I don't have to tell you why.  I'd much rather hire someone who needs a job.

SA

Mike

Quote from: gene on November 09, 2013, 06:24:40 am

You cannot train someone who believes you owe them something, before they even begin to work for you.

gene

sorry to say that was my son :(

kodydog

November 09, 2013, 10:04:29 pm #26 Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:15:00 pm by kodydog
Quote from: momto3fatdogs on November 07, 2013, 07:04:58 pm
I will probably get flamed for saying this....but I don't see lazy employees as bad employees. I see them as having a bad boss. Bad employees get away with tardiness & laziness & poor productivity because it's tolerated. By whoever is the "boss". Small scale businesses or large scale. there is just no paying some people enough for pride. You either got it or you don't. And I won't say anymore without getting all politcal. but I will say that the bigger a company it is, the harder it is to get shed of the slackers.

Sam

This from financial guru Dave Ramsey's web site;

"When you don't have people who are successful on your team--not doing things correctly--the first place you have to start with is you. Are you the problem? Are you the reason they aren't successful? Have you done a bad job showing them what it means to win?"

http://www.daveramsey.com/mobile/article-view/category/latest/storyID/part-2-questions-from-podcast-listeners/

I can see this as the main problem where I work. There are no rules for employees to follow. No set time for showing up in the morning. No work schedule. No dress code. No weekly hours we are expected to work. The bosses son drags in long after everyone else shows up. Starts projects without finishing them. Arrives late for all appointments. And rarely works over 38 hours per week.

Quote from: byhammerandhand on November 06, 2013, 02:59:15 pm
Found this today from a journalist whom I admire, Tess Viegland:

"it's time to leave--when you have too much self-respect to stay."

http://longreads.com/search/Tess%20Vigeland/?l=0

Hammer, I couldn't figure out how to read the entire article but love the title.

Here is another short story about giving incentives first expecting results later.

I arrive at work before 7:30 and I usually have the place to myself until 8:00. Often the owner calls to see how things are going and because he knows I've owned my own business he likes to bounce ideas off me.

A couple weeks ago he calls and tells me a certain employee asked for a raise. He wanted to know if I felt she deserved one. I said lets look at her work history. Every other Monday she calls in sick. She never works a 40 hour week. And shes often combative with other employees including the owners son. I also pointed she already earns above average wages for upholsterers in this area.

Don't get me wrong, I get along with her better than anyone else in this business. But I believe in raises based on merit not time spent working their. She is also one of the "complainers" talked about on this thread. Often complaining about not receiving a raise in over 4 years.

She got the raise and called in sick the following Monday.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

November 10, 2013, 06:38:01 am #27 Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:53:31 am by gene
Here's the first 2 definitions from the web for the word "incentive":

- something that incites or has a tendency to incite to determination or action

- a thing that motivates or encourages one to do something.

My first question in giving an incentive would be: What is the purpose for giving the incentive?

Kody D, in your last post it appears that the purpose of giving that lady an incentive (pay raise) was to stop her from complaining that she had not had a raise in 4 years. What this accomplished? If so, then it can be viewed as a successful incentive.

And when you have the bosses' son setting the standard for acceptable behavior...

I had a great boss years ago who had specific yearly goals for each of us sales people. The goals were tailored to each person, depending on what each person needed to help us make our sales goals for the year. It was a hell of a lot of work for him to do that. The results he got were awesome - from all the sales people.

gene

gene

November 10, 2013, 06:51:58 am #28 Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 08:47:30 am by gene
sofa d:
QuoteI was at a diner this morning, where I observed the owner showing a new-hire how to work the Cappuccino machine.
She repeatedly tried to explain that you had to take your hand off the button when the cup was about 2/3 full. The young girl only stood there with a blank stare. After several attempts, the woman gave up, and told her to go clean tables.

No amount of incentives can fix stupid. Huh?

Maybe the girl didn't know what "2/3" meant? This can happen with a public edumacation.

Maybe the manager had her thumb on the button and then she told the girl to take her "hand" off the button. This could be confusing to anyone with a 6th grade reading comprehension.

Maybe the girl just didn't want to be there. Or maybe the girl wanted the paycheck but just didn't want to actually work for it.

My mamma always told me "Stupid is as stupid does." I always thought my mamma was the smartest person in the world.

gene