Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 01:40:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How do you do it Hammer?

Started by sofadoc, October 19, 2013, 08:03:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I did 3 calls today in the Dallas area, which is 50 miles from my shop. One was in far east Dallas, one near downtown, and one far, far north of Dallas.

In the process of circumnavigating a large metropolitan area, it's almost impossible to do so without encountering at least one accident or stalled vehicle, which can transform any freeway into a parking lot. Sometimes, the traffic backs up for miles for no damn good reason at all.

My inability to give the 3 customers an EXACT time of arrival caused them great angst.

Hammer: I've read your posts about your mobile service, and how you manage to be punctual. The only way that I can get to a Dallas address at an exact designated time, is to plan on arriving an hour early, and be ready to sit in their driveway for an hour.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

An account asked me to do a job in Downtown Philadelphia.  I live and work in the NYC area and haven't left this area in over 30 years... so what the heck - I went for a ride   -  but now sorry to say  / I wish New York could be as clean; and our folks as pleasant as those in Philly.  No arrogant yellow cabs blocking traffic - no cross stares - no trash in the streets - and other drivers actually gave me a chance to negotiate an unfamiliar district.
The attitude of the folks there made the day an easy go.  I'm sure we're not doing our best in New York  to match up to our neighboring state in many categories. Business is good in New York but business isn't everything.  I like being mobile once in a while - it opens my eyes.  Got there 1hour before the appointment time but the store was open so no down time.

byhammerandhand

October 20, 2013, 06:07:24 am #2 Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:08:53 am by byhammerandhand
I try to avoid the major expressways during rush hours.  If I have to use the major highways, especially in the flow of downtown commuters, I try to schedule those appointments between 10 and 2.  I know where the construction is.   Google maps can give you traffic flow information real time.

I know a lot of back roads.

I try to build in a little extra time for jobs where I can't accurately estimate time needed.  If I build in a lot of extra time, I can squeeze in some commercial accounts (where someone is always there during business hours).   I can say, I'll be there in the afternoon, either before my 2pm appointment or after, depending upon how the day goes.  Sometimes, I have work waiting in the shop that I can finish the day on, should I run early.

It's nice if I can schedule appointments in the same part of down in sequence.   Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes, the one in the middle calls and wants to reschedule #*&()*#!

The last few weeks, I've been doing some kitchen and bath cabinet work for a builder.   The first two took 1.5 each, the next 5.5 hours, the next 3.5 hours.  Ugh, that makes it hard to plan the day.   Been interesting, though working around the guy doing the punch list, the carpet installers, the electricians, the roofers, the cleaner, the cabinet installers, the drywall guy, and the plumbers.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

I'm talking about a Saturday afternoon. I don't go near Dallas during the week.

And believe me, I know all the back roads, but so does everyone else.

Since mobile service is not the crux of my business, I have to bunch them together on a Saturday afternoon. Many customers nowadays have become so spoiled, they're not satisfied with a "1 hour window" ETA.

gene

October 20, 2013, 06:55:57 am #4 Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:58:47 am by gene
I mentioned last night to friends that I remember Philadelphia being referred to as Filthy Delphia. And to hear that NY is even worse?!? I agree with you SteveA: The quality of one's life is not measured only by money or success in business.

In my previous life as a sales rep I did a lot of windshield time over a multi state area. Even when I flew, which was often, I still spent a lot of time driving, trying to get in as many appointments in that area as I could.

I still think in terms of rush hour traffic. Someone will mention going somewhere, or I will need to schedule a pick up or delivery, and my first thought is always, out of habit, about how to avoid rush hour traffic.

Portland, OR was bad. The mountains keep them from expanding the highways so there were traffic jams all day long.

I remember the first time I heard a traffic report in Chicago at 2:00 A.M. That's in the morning folks! I thought it was a joke. LOL

Many service companies that come to my house give a time frame, such as "We'll be there between 8:00 am and 10:00 pm. I try to be more specific for my customers if I can.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

I used to live in Chicago and hated the traffic there.  The traffic reports there were not disabled vehicle at such and such location, but
"time from this point to that point, 25 minutes, same point to another point 40 minutes."   It's assumed traffic would be slow, just how slow.   It used to take up to 35 minutes to get out my office's parking lot and to the first intersection.   I made it a point to never leave right at 5:00.   I nearly got trampled by the clerical staff once when I was at the receptionist's desk at 4:59.  (They use to clear their desk, cover their typerwriters, put on their coats, and sit at their desk for the last 15 minutes of the day).

When I worked at an office, one thing I used to hate was "We'll be there between 9 and 12, then they show up at 1:00 and say, we'll be back, we haven't had lunch yet."    I vowed never to do that to people as long as I could avoid it.   Every once in a while, I get to a home at the appointed time and get no answer at the door.   Then I call and hear, "Oh, I'm 15 minutes way, I'll be right there."  It's never 15 minutes, usually 30.   If I don't get an answer, they get 15 minutes.   At that point I figure they're not just running late or they would have called; they've forgotten the appointment.   Then they go on my B-list.

Quote from: gene on October 20, 2013, 06:55:57 am

I remember the first time I heard a traffic report in Chicago at 2:00 A.M. That's in the morning folks! I thought it was a joke. LOL

Many service companies that come to my house give a time frame, such as "We'll be there between 8:00 am and 10:00 pm. I try to be more specific for my customers if I can.

gene

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

On the opposite end of things......when Dallas customers come to ME:

They call at 4:00, and ask "What time do you close?"
I tell them 5:00.

They say "OK, we're leaving right now. We'll be there by 5".
When they say that, it usually means that they haven't left the house yet. It'll be another 15 minutes before they actually walk out the door.

Then of course, somewhere along the way, they just can't pass a convenience store without loading up on sodas. After all, they've still got a grueling 30 minute drive ahead of them.     

At 5:00, they call to tell me that they're almost there. They finally shop up around 5:45.

byhammerandhand

October 20, 2013, 02:07:56 pm #7 Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:52:21 pm by byhammerandhand
I was doing a 3 pm call in KY a couple of weeks ago, I got caught up in a bunch of one-way streets that my GPS didn't have right.   It's 3:03 and I get a call from the customer as I'm walking up the sidewalk, "Are you still coming today?"     Three minutes at the end of a full day?!
Keith

Rich

Quote from: SteveA on October 20, 2013, 03:03:48 am
An account asked me to do a job in Downtown Philadelphia.  I live and work in the NYC area and haven't left this area in over 30 years... so what the heck - I went for a ride   -  but now sorry to say  / I wish New York could be as clean; and our folks as pleasant as those in Philly.  No arrogant yellow cabs blocking traffic - no cross stares - no trash in the streets - and other drivers actually gave me a chance to negotiate an unfamiliar district.
The attitude of the folks there made the day an easy go.  I'm sure we're not doing our best in New York  to match up to our neighboring state in many categories. Business is good in New York but business isn't everything.  I like being mobile once in a while - it opens my eyes.  Got there 1hour before the appointment time but the store was open so no down time.

Steve, you sound like me 30 years ago. My wife and I would travel to other areas outside our NYC home and wonder why we were still living there. I always felt I had to be in NYC to do well in my auto trim business. Finally, in 1989, we decided we were through, sold the business to an employee, moved to Maryland and started up another upholstery business. No regrets.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

SteveA

Rich,
I'm in that period of time ..... the kids are out of the house - not old enough to retire - still need to fund my health insurance and property taxes which are very high, the highest in the Country, I'm no longer strong enough to work and earn as I previously did.  So why not find a place away from NYC like you did, but close enough to keep Family ties;  enjoying a more peaceful, affordable existence in the later years. My patience to tolerate the aggressive nature of people and business here is way done.  Where to go - that's the question ?
SA

Mojo

Steve:  May I suggest Tennessee. :)

To be honest I do not see how people in new England afford to live. I was talking to a couple from NJ last weekend and they said they pay $ 9 K a year in property taxes. Our home in TN cost us $ 500 a year for taxes. No income Tax in TN either. Sales tax is high but we used to shop down the street in VA which has a sales tax of 4.5 %.

I am just blown away when people in NY, NH, NJ, MA, etc. talk about their living costs. Good gawd it is out of this world crazy.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on October 23, 2013, 11:30:57 am
I am just blown away when people in NY, NH, NJ, MA, etc. talk about their living costs.
Me too. That's why I don't like those "What would YOU charge?" type of questions when they come up on this forum. There's just too great a disparity from one region to the next.

About twice a year, an upholsterer who has just moved here from the East Coast will walk in asking me for a job. It doesn't take very long at all for both of us to realize that I can't afford them. They usually want more in labor alone than I charge "out the door".

byhammerandhand

One my daughers likes to watch HGTV so I suffer through "Love it or List it" (and "Say yes to the dress") when we visit.  Ugh. 

I like the little three room bungalow, leaky basement, not enough room in the kitchen to change your mind, and needs some major plumbing or electrical work.  Before renovation value only $685,000. :o

Quote from: Mojo on October 23, 2013, 11:30:57 am

I am just blown away when people in NY, NH, NJ, MA, etc. talk about their living costs. Good gawd it is out of this world crazy.

Chris
Keith

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on October 23, 2013, 01:05:13 pm
I like the little three room bungalow, leaky basement, not enough room in the kitchen to change your mind, and needs some major plumbing or electrical work.  Before renovation value only $685,000.
Yeah, I see that same thing on those shows. That same home would go for well under 100K around here (and nobody is rushing out to buy them either).

I visited San Francisco a few years ago. I saw a tiny apartment going for $1500 a month. I thought "Well, they must get paid a lot more here". Then I saw a grocery store hiring down the street at 8 bucks an hour. Applicants were lined up around the block.

Mojo

Whenever we go back to Australia to see my wife's family I damn near gag over the Sydney prices. A small 1 bedroom flat ( apartment ) is over a 1/4 mil. Costs for everything else is ridiculous. You get outside the city nd things start getting somewhat sane.

I forgot the most expensive city in the world but believe it is either Tokyo or Singapore. San Fran is in the top 5 as is Sydney.

Chris