Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 03:09:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

cold cold cold

Started by kodydog, January 03, 2012, 05:50:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Yeah, yeah...  rub it in   >:(  But then, your toilets and drains spin backwards, don't they?  Coriolis effect or something weird like that....  Never been south of the Equator.  Gotta do that one day.  I need to add that to my bucket list.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

CreativeCanvas

Not sure if it has anything to do with the toilets spinning backward but "Coriolus" is a mushroom used in Asian herbal remedys ...

kodydog

January 16, 2012, 06:04:25 am #47 Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 06:07:55 am by kodydog
You guys got me looking things up again...

The Coriolis effect is most apparent in the path of an object moving longitudinally. On the Earth an object that moves along a north-south path, or longitudinal line, will undergo apparent deflection to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere.

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/glossary/coriolis_effect.html

If any ones interested.

Backward spinning toilets? Might need an exorcists.  ???
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I've got a dog that chases his tail (clockwise) all day long. If I take him to Australia, will he chase it in the other direction? ???
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

January 16, 2012, 07:43:14 am #49 Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 07:55:10 am by gene
What about dogs who live in houses where there are only digital clocks?

I do find it interesting that the 'top of the world' is the north pole. This is a learned effect in all of us. Austrailia is 'down under'. My brain cannot think otherwise. In the physical world, there is no orientation of up and down, top and bottom.

When we start to look clearly at the many beliefs and understandings and perceptions and assumptions that we have about life, we begin to see that these things are truly without foundation.

Being MLK day, "race" is a good example. There is no distinction between human beings that creates this phenomenon we call 'race'. "Race' is a man made phenomenon. There is not a single genetic or physical detail that is unique to one group of people. Yes there are regional and environmental differences, but there is nothing totally unique to one group of people that cannot be found in any other group.

It is exactly like the difference between Texans and Oregonians. Texas and Oregon are artificially created distinctions.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on January 16, 2012, 07:43:14 am
It is exactly like the difference between Texans and Oregonians. Texas and Oregon are artificially created distinctions.

Don't get me started about those !!@@##  Oregonians!! >:(

kodydog

When we start to look clearly at the many beliefs and understandings and perceptions and assumptions that we have about life, we begin to see that these things are truly without foundation.
gene

Time is a a concept that fascinates me. Totally man made. Who decides there should be 24 hours in a day or 60 min in an hour. Who says we should count our age by how many times the earth rotates around the sun. And that  Feb 29 should occur once every 4 years.

And who gave the powers that be, authority, to reset the clocks twice a year.

Does anyone really think God made the universe in seven days. I think science has proven that to be impossible. The Bible was written by man and translated by old King James. The seven day theory was stuck in there so followers could have some relevance as to what was going on. Do you think God really cares about such a trivial thing as days, hours or minutes.

And what about the whole Mayan calendar thing. Is every one ready for Dec 21st.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

scottymc

January 16, 2012, 11:19:34 am #52 Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:20:31 am by scottymc
I can see by the last page of posts that the nights are long over there now and you guts aren't getting out much. So the Simpsons is your major source of information about the land down under is it? ;D

bobbin

No, it was Steve Irwin, Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, and Nicole's amazingly talented guitarist husband whose name I always forget.  ;)

Actually, I think it was good ol' Martin Luther who was the first to translate the Bible from the language of the Catholic church, Latin, into the language of the people of Germany.  The Reform movement quickly spread to England.  It was considered heresey to possess a Bible in anything other than Latin, a crime punishable by death (burning at the stake).  Way to spread "the word", huh?  We've come a long way, baby. 

(Keith Urban!)

Mike

Being MLK day, "race" is a good example. There is no distinction between human beings that creates this phenomenon we call 'race'. "Race' is a man made phenomenon. There is not a single genetic or physical detail that is unique to one group of people. Yes there are regional and environmental differences, but there is nothing totally unique to one group of people that cannot be found in any other group.

gene

im probly wrong but i though sickle cell enemia was only asosiated with african americans

scottymc

Quote from: bobbin on January 16, 2012, 01:32:02 pm
No, it was Steve Irwin, Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, and Nicole's amazingly talented guitarist husband whose name I always forget.  ;)

Actually, I think it was good ol' Martin Luther who was the first to translate the Bible from the language of the Catholic church, Latin, into the language of the people of Germany.  The Reform movement quickly spread to England.  It was considered heresey to possess a Bible in anything other than Latin, a crime punishable by death (burning at the stake).  Way to spread "the word", huh?  We've come a long way, baby. 

(Keith Urban!)

Bit of trivia for ya'll. Steve Irwins Aussie, Nicole Kidman is American, Russell Crow and Keith Urban are Kiwis(New Zealand)

gene

January 17, 2012, 06:40:15 am #56 Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:05:33 am by gene
Mike, Sickle Cell Anemia is a disease. There is no disease that is found in only one 'race'.

from the net:
Sickle cell anemia is more common in people whose families are from Saudi Arabia, India, Caribbean islands, Mediterranean countries, South or Central America, or Africa. In the United States, most who suffer from sickle cell are African Americans.

'White folks' get this disease also.

My origin point was that it is truly amazing how much stuff we believe to be true but it just is not true!

Bill Clinton had the new millenium celebration at the beginning of 2000. The beginning of the new millennium was 2001. Good old Bill never missed an opportunity to break out the cigars.

Christopher Columbus never landed on what is today known as North American. He landed in the Caribbean Islands.

He also had 4 ships, not 3. The 4th ship fell over the edge of the world. Actually, there were only 3 ships and most people throughout time believed that the world was round, including Chris Columbus. The Ancient Greeks even believed the earth was round.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

January 17, 2012, 02:55:28 pm #57 Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 06:01:52 pm by sofadoc
Who would've thought that a cold day in Florida would generate this many replies?

Gene's comments about race reminded me of the sign that hung over the main street of my town when I was a kid:

"The blackest land" referred to the soil. "The whitest people" is self explanatory, although it really wasn't true (Somebody had to pick all the cotton that the black soil produced).
The Greenville Hotel in the picture is where my family stayed when we first hit town in '62. It was a dump even then.
Just around the corner from this scene was a USO club, which today houses the #1 upholstery shop in Greenville ;)

Darren Henry

QuoteUsing the fireplace for the first time this year. Didn't get over 50* today and down to 24* tonight. Burrr!

If it cheers anyone up we are at -23 º C at 5 o'clock. That's ten below F. Wind chills were in -36-38 range and They are calling -32 with wind chills into the -40's for Thursday night. BTW -40 ºC= 40 below F= damned cold !!!
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Peppy

Quote from: Darren Henry on January 17, 2012, 03:13:37 pm
If it cheers anyone up we are at -23 º C at 5 o'clock. That's ten below F. Wind chills were in -36-38 range and They are calling -32 with wind chills into the -40's for Thursday night. BTW -40 ºC= 40 below F= damned cold !!!

That makes me so happy Darren, thank you. I'll be seeing that weather right shortly. Getting it a bit all ready. 2ºC this morning and about -5ºC right now. Yippie.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠