Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 03:53:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Retro Modern Contract Fabrics............the newest fabric vendor on this site

Started by Steve at Silverstone Fabrics, January 13, 2012, 09:40:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve at Silverstone Fabrics

Hello, Fellow upholsterers. I am very excited and proud to announce that we have just kicked off our new web site by becoming a supply vendor on this site. 

At your convenience, please go to the suppliers page and check us out: Retro Modern Contract Fabrics.

Most of you know that I have been a contributor to our community for the past several years ......I have commented on topics concerning my experiences based on my 30 year career of owning and operating  a large regional upholstery/custom furniture company based in Charlotte, NC.

Over my 30 years in our industry, I have owned several retail upholstery fabric stores and have been a power seller on eBay for over 10 years.

I have been extremely careful not to use this forum to try and sell my eBay fabrics until I could "step up to the plate" as a vendor  .........it just kills me to read posts on this site that are from fabric sources that want our support of purchasing their products without helping Ken to support his site.

Now, I feel that I can step in and comment on both upholstery and fabric topics.......and if my store has a potential solution  to the posted question, I answer it to the best of my knowledge (even if the answer includes directing someone to my store) .

Our pricing is normally 30 to 70% off of true wholesale. How do we do it? We purchase large inventories of fabric and leather for some of the largest and best furniture manufacturers that are located here in my home state of NC. These inventories can range from short ends to full rolls. I have purchased everything from single rolls to full  tractor trailers. The inventories contain current patterns and colors from wholesale houses located all over the world.  Most of the rolls have documentation containing the textile house, pattern and color.

Right now, our inventory is very modest but for every listing we have there are 20 that are on deck waiting to be processed . FYI: Today we are processing 6 full rolls of Symphony vinyls and 4 full rolls of Ultrafabrics Brisa (303) Truffle (3913) and 10 Arctic White Spinneybeck Acqua hides....these should be on the site by the first of the week. Over the next 2 weeks, we plan on concentrating on processing polyurethane vinyls and other 1st quality current fabrics.

How can you leverage what I do with your company? Hit the "contact us" button and tell me the fabrics/ vinyls  that you use to maintain your commercial accounts.....once I have your profile and I come across one of your "desired fabrics", I will give you a call. Just because what you are looking for is not in the store does not mean I don't have it.
We do not have everything but we do have over 20,000 yards of fabric in our warehouse and if you email us, we will check to see if we have what you are looking for.

Over the next few months, we intend to expand our offerings to include other "one time" specials like: furniture frames, sewing machines and supplies (FYI: I have one source with over 10,000 legs)

As you look at my site, remember that I am not just a fabric dealer......I am an upholsterer. I understand what you do and how difficult it is to succeed in today's economy.

If you have an opportunity to do a large commercial upholstery job and you need 300 yards of a commercial grade fabric and someone that can help you put together a "battle plan" of how do get the job done.....give me a call.

Steve Terry, GM Retro Modern Contract Fabrics

kodydog

Sterry, first thanks for sponsoring this great forum. A few questions if you will. When you say your a supply vendor does that mean to the trade only. Or can I direct my customers to your site and they buy directly from you.
Don't know if its just me but I had a hard time getting some of your fabrics to come up.

For example
Carnegie had nothing (maybe sold out)?
Architex offered fabric or vinyl but could only get vinyl to come up.
But then Designtex worked fine.

Great prices by the way. Look forward to more choices.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Kody, Thank you for looking at our site.

"To the trade only" is a reference to the normal wholesale chain........unless you are an interior designer, architect or a "big time" player, you are not going to be able to purchase Edelman or Spinneybeck leather.

What we are trying to say is, we sell all of our products to anyone that has the need to use some of the most exclusive fabrics and vinyls available in our industry.

What you currently see on our site is just the "tip of the iceberg" of the products that we are going to list.

Please consider signing up for our newsletter.....this will give you alerts to our new items as they go "live".

I know I should have waited a little longer to kick off our store but I have faith that the products that we have to offer can be used by members of our community now and that the supporters of this forum will understand that we are a small but growing resource.

I have been a power seller on eBay for over 10 years and we currently have over 1,400 active listings (our listings are mainly "status" fabrics like: Donghia, B & F, Lee Jofa, Scalamandre and other high end textile houses)and that part of our business is very strong but my heart  has always wanted to come back and share the contract fabrics that I  find as a fabric "picker" here in North Carolina.

This new web site will be my vehicle that will allow me use my experience of being an upholsterer to find and bring to market products that will allow others in my profession a chance to purchase and market items that can make their businesses more profitable.

Think about signing up for our newsletter........we plan on publishing it  once a week.

Steve Terry

Mojo

Here is a link to Steves site. he failed to put it in his post above.

Dang business owners drive me nuts. :)  http://www.retromoderncontractfabrics.com/default.asp

Best of luck Steve. Hope this rocks for you. I breezed through it real quick but will go back through it more later.

Chris

Chris, Thanks for the link but I have the perfect excuse.........you did read that I am an upholsterer. LOL

If I were a smart man, I would have had the web site open 8 years ago.

I came in today and upholstered a small 1970's chair for my warehouse manager. It was not a big chair (tight seat with a welted boxing, an inback with a welted boxing and an outback). I used a piece of chocolate mohair (made by Schellens in the Netherlands.......this mill provides mohair for Donghia, Kravet, Lee Jofa , Maharam and other high end textile houses). It is such an honor to work with mohair......it is "prime time" fabric.

My manager bought it at a thirft store for $3. He refinished the frame and now he has a chair that would have cost him at least $1,000 if he had purchased it from a retail store.

Before I call it a day I plan on listing 4 full rolls of Brisa (Ultraleather) and several pieces of Maharam polyurthane and making them live on the site today.

We plan on having over 1,000 items within the next month.

One more thing......I promise that I will not jump into every post on this forum trying to sell something. If you see me chasing down every opportunity to market my fabrics and I distract from the conversation.....please shoot me an email.

When I see a chance to let a specific person on this forum know that I might have a product that can help them......I will send a private post just to that person.

Steve Terry......an upholsterer that owns enough fabric for 3 internet sites and a retail store. I told you I wasn't a smart man.

sofadoc

Quote from: sterry56 on January 15, 2012, 01:48:57 pm
One more thing......I promise that I will not jump into every post on this forum trying to sell something. If you see me chasing down every opportunity to market my fabrics and I distract from the conversation.....please shoot me an email.
I don't see anything wrong with you touting your stuff, especially since you help sponsor this forum.

We've had a few guys in the last couple of years come on here for no other reason than to pimp their wares.
MY advice so that you never come off that way......is to sometimes join in on our "BS" sessions. Talk about the weather, health, or whatever. 8)

Personally, I'm interested in the line of "other items" that you will be having (supplies, legs, etc.).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Quote from: sofadoc on January 15, 2012, 02:04:59 pm
I don't see anything wrong with you touting your stuff, especially since you help sponsor this forum.

We've had a few guys in the last couple of years come on here for no other reason than to pimp their wares.
MY advice so that you never come off that way......is to sometimes join in on our "BS" sessions. Talk about the weather, health, or whatever. 8)

Personally, I'm interested in the line of "other items" that you will be having (supplies, legs, etc.).

I agree. We have had our share of fly by nighters hitting this site, trying to sell things and then hauling ass for some new turf. My suggestion is the same as Gene's. Bob Kovar, Greg, MiamiMike and Andrew have all been staunch members who come to our rescue with help, even if it wont result in a sale. I personally appreciate their support. They have saved my bacon more then once.

Chris