Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 05:05:10 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Rocking Chair repair

Started by red owl, March 17, 2017, 08:49:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

red owl

Hi- I'm a newbie.  I have a rocking chair whose seat has 4 zig zag springs of which the middle two are broken.  I've done some research on the repair but it seems like there are a few options.
1. The springs were 1/8" diameter  which I think is 11 Gauge.  From what I can tell the 11 gauge should be used for backs but not seats- so that might have been a problem.
2. The springs have no twine or links connecting them.
3. I ordered some 9 gauge springs which are supposed to be heavier and correct for a seat.  I plan to remove all four of the old springs and replace them with the heavier springs.  The clips in the frame seem to be stapled. I'll pull them out and put in new clips and nails. 
4. The inside frame is 14"- I think the chart says to cut to 13 1/2" and stretch out.  What do you do if the bends are such that you can't get that exact length?
5. The spring- cut with a hacksaw?  I read you are then supposed to put a slight bend in the cut area so the spring can't slip out of the clip. I read you can put the spring in a vise and hammer the end over a little.
6. Now some questions....I think the repair would be better if the springs were tied together.  In some "you-tubes" it looks like heavy jute twine is used.  When you tie in twine is there a set way to tie it in? You can tie bend to bend like a metal link or bend to loop, or some other pattern?  I've also seen some sort of spring wire or reed laid over the zig zag springs and a clip used to attached this spring or reed to the zig zags.
7. I have tried to research this but I'm still confused on some details.  Probably the best for me would be the twine tied into place but I am open to all help and advice.  Thanks.
8. FINALLY- changing the subject a bit- the rocking chair is old and the varnish and stain have worn off in a few areas. I realize I can strip the whole thing to bare wood but is there a spot fix?  Apply a little stain to the worn areas and then a hand rubbed varnish?

SteveA

Many questions there
I would do the same thing - I would replace all the springs with new.  Nail the spring clips instead of staples.  General rule - pull the spring taunt approx - 1-1/2 - 2 in. reaching the other end  Tie across the springs with spring twine -
You can retouch worn areas short of refinishing - spot staining areas with stain won't work.  I would guess you'd be happier with a complete refinish
SA

sofadoc

You can cut the springs with a large pair of bolt cutters. Or file a notch and keep bending at the notch until they break.

You need to bend the cut-off ends so the spring doesn't slip out of the clip later on.. There is a tool for that. You can probably improvise with 2 pair of Vise-grips.

In some cases, 9 gauge is too strong for the frame that supports it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

QuoteI've also seen some sort of spring wire or reed laid over the zig zag springs and a clip used to attached this spring or reed to the zig zags.

That "reed" is probably edge wire. It is a spring wire wrapped in a heavy paper to keep it from squeaking when it moves against the spring. Those clips come 5000 to a box and require a special pair of pliers to crimp them. Stick with the jute twine. It does a better job.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

red owl

Thanks everyone for the help.