Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 09:39:32 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pricing Banquette Seating & Foam

Started by D3Gilmore, November 05, 2017, 06:07:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

D3Gilmore

I have been asked to bid on a 75"w x 19"d x 3"h and 47"w x 19"d x 3"h l-shaped banquette for a designer's client. I have heard of different methods for calculating a price including L + W x ($1.50-$3.00 per inch) as well as L+W x 2 = $Price. Both result in a low - high price point.  I was thinking of using the first method which results in a higher price but would include foam/piping/zipper and still leave me a decent labor price.

I would appreciate anyone's feedback on this project. 

Also, the client wants 3" foam. I initially showed the client what 2" firm looks and feels like, but now I'm wondering if 3" for a residential banquette may be too hard? Curious what others may suggest and use.

Thank you!

baileyuph

What is the designer's responsibility regarding the foam spec?  Foam can be bought at a range of prices, to mean 3" doesn't have to be hard or soft; it is available at all specs (price is obviously according to user desire in the seating).

Regarding labor to make the two cushions, the one doing the work will determine how much time and
their rate to arrive at the answer of labor.

Don't forget to factor in the zipper and any other cost, utilities, rent, etc, don't forget material used can drive time required also.

Who orders the foam is big issue in this project, which is probably the designer?

Good luck, protect yourself gain clarity on all issues. 

Banquette cushions - merely cushions?  Haven't heard the term and apologize for not familiar.

Doyle

Darren Henry

I've never used formulas for quoting. If it's something I haven't done recently or a little different I work it out long hand. In this case 4 yds of fabric @X$/yd= ? plus X sq.ft of 3" foam plus zippers and welt cord gives me my material price. Then each of the large cushions will take me so long @ my shop rate of $???plus so much for the two short ones etc... gives me a labour price. It's more work, but alot more accurate and going through it like that often helps me pick up on ,things that don't fit in to formulas like "oh yeah she wants tassles sewn in as well".

I don't get the selection of compression ratings from my suppliers up here that Doyle is alluding to, but 3" would be my suggestion. If the back cushion sit on top of the seat cushions you could look at using 2" for the backs to gain seat depth. Depends on the fabric.

Are you building the banquette as well ? or just  cushions?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

D3Gilmore

In this situation, the designer and client have deferred the selection of foam to me.  In this case, it is spec'd at 2.7lb / 50IDL through US Foam.  I started to doubt my own selection of 50IDL because of the 3" thickness.  The client doesn't want "soft" since it will be 3" and doesn't want to necessarily sink into the cushions.

She has only a 19" depth and limited space with windows behind the banquette at 34-1/2".  The designer has therefore spec'd back pillows ranging from 18" - 24".  I will be doing those as well.  They have hired a cabinet maker to make the banquette itself.

I definitely see that there are variables that can affect final price, like add-ons and difficult to use fabrics.  I have spec'd out my costs for foam, batting and welting.  (I will add the zipper.) I haven't included my overhead like lighting, insurance, etc., because that whole process is still a "work in process."  I guess it's not as simple as a formula of L + W x 2, etc.

I think for me, it's difficult to have a set labor price since I am still learning, the time it takes to do it is longer, so I'm struggling at an hourly rate.

kodydog

Things to consider as far as foam thickness. Height from the floor to the top of the cushion. Will that extra inch leave the customers  legs dangling. And you are dealing with windows is there wood trim involved. Make sure the cushion will fit under the trim.

I like Darrens method of pricing as convoluted as it sounds it accounts for everything.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

D3Gilmore

November 11, 2017, 12:51:06 pm #5 Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:50:08 pm by D3Gilmore
Thanks for the feedback.  I did work out the numbers longhand and arrived at my pricing.  I wish sometimes there was a manual just like when you buy a franchise - they give you everything you need to open your doors and be successful. 

The flipside is, I love that I'm building this business one step at a time and with the help of others - networking has been a lifesaver.  So, thank you!

I have measured the banquette now that it's installed.  It is 16-3/4"h so the 3" foam is what the client wants.  Firm foam spec'd is 50IDL/ 2.7lb  Would anyone recommend something better?

kodydog

November 11, 2017, 04:36:56 pm #6 Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 04:42:37 pm by kodydog
Did you let the customer sit on this firm foam. My experience is, when the customer says they want their seat to be very firm and then that is what you give them, they complain it is too hard.

MinUph

Quote from: kodydog on November 11, 2017, 04:36:56 pm
Did you let the customer sit on this firm foam. My experience is, when the customer says they want their seat to be very firm and then that is what you give them, they complain it is too hard.

DITO
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Quote from: D3Gilmore on November 11, 2017, 12:51:06 pm
  I wish sometimes there was a manual just like when you buy a franchise - they give you everything you need to open your doors and be successful. 

I have thought someone could take the words of wisdom written on this forum and turn it into a manual. But I'm sure it would be more like an encyclopedia.

It would be cool to have a standardized national price list like auto mechanics have. The problem with upholstery is prices very according to region. And in this industry there are a lot of shops undercutting prices using substandard quality.