Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 03:17:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Work happens.

Started by Mike, February 16, 2013, 05:44:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Just when i was csught up eith only a small project fir a guy i get a large enclosure job to do nect.
I was hoping for a little rest before inget a cover next week when a customer returns or s t top enclosure i am to see the owner on a trip from texas sunday.
Seems it always the same way and i used to get bervouse when i was all caught up but work has always called at the last minute

timtheboatguy

Same here Mike,

Last week was the boat show here in St. Louis and my phone has been a ringing! I have a multitude of boat seats to recover and three or four boat covers to make.

Eventually I am going to get fast and efficiant at this- I hope! ???
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

Have tou thought of having a booth at the shOw?

timtheboatguy

Quote from: Mike on February 16, 2013, 01:57:46 pm
Have tou thought of having a booth at the shOw?

I looked into it last year and the cost was over $1000. for a small booth. It may be worth the investment, but for now I am staying busy enough without that show.

I do set up a booth at our local on the water show here in Lake Saint Louis in June each year, and also at our local Octoberfest. Those cost me much less and I have got some good business from them.

Douglas MacArthur

Mike

oh   ya that is a bit much best to stick to the local stuff I used to set up at my local show but havnt for a few years first year my dad died the weekend so I didn't then then I had a stroke and talking is the big thing at a show i may attend next year its like 600 for a inside booth

Darren Henry

[quoteI do set up a booth at our local on the water show here in Lake Saint Louis][/quote]

Is that just a static display or do you do work there as well?

When I was in Kenora (Lake of the woods), we would set up a "boat clinic"2-3 saturday's a summer.we'd make arrangements to park/plug in our cube van at one of the marinas and do minor repairs "while you wait" and quote on larger jobs.Granted we took two of us to replace window plastic,sew in new zippers,replace snaps etc... while the boss ran around dropping quotes in boats that needed new tops interiors etc... and talking to people.The proceeds of the repairs paid for the clinic including advertising,set up,wages etc...All the big jobs that got booked in or came later were pure profit.

People there were ready for the idea. Kenora is the Venus of the north; you leave your island by boat and dock at the laundry mat ,go get your groceries,tie up at the Pizza hut for lunch etc...Many people park their cars on the edge of town when they arrive and pick them up when they leave.Their boat is their daily driver, so being able to get it serviced without having to trailer it (if they even have a trailer) and going without  it for any length of time was bonus.

The other thing that this did for us was help us even out our work load. Because they don't want to be without their boat people put everything off until fall,then half of them forget about the problem until spring,so we always had a huge rush at ice out in the spring.By talking to them at the clinic we could often schedule jobs for while they had to run home for this or that. e.g "well if your going to Banff that week, why not have your caretaker drop the boat at our shop instead of running it back out to camp? We'll have the new top on and have it back at the marina when you get back."
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

I got slow three weeks ago and then all hell broke lose. I am still not caught up.

To be honest, and I hate to complain but it was piss poor timing. My Mom passed away two weeks ago, my Bone marrow and spleen spazzed out big time and I had to have a series of blood treatments. They increased my chemo dose which has kicked my ass into next year.

I have two orders sitting on the board and wont be able to get to them as I have a rally to attend in Tampa for the week. I would have cancelled my attendance but it is my biggest money maker of the year and they have me scheduled for two seminars.

I would have rather climbed into a bed and hibernated for a few weeks. Still I am grateful for being alive and here to harass the masses. Life could be a whole lot worse. :)

Chris

Mike

a week ago I was almost caught up nervous  then I get the big enclosure Monday and this morning I sign a gib job from a guy in texas and while im at the house I sign his fathernlaws boat for work also :P
I cant wait till sumeer to slow down and go fishing and the sandbar  :)

timtheboatguy

It is always feast or famine. So many times I would start to get nervous about the lack of work and then work comes in. The Lord continues to provide, while the government continues to take away.

Douglas MacArthur

Mike

February 18, 2013, 02:58:58 pm #9 Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:04:38 pm by Mike
got the patterns for the enclosure in ft myers beach today here a pic I got crossing the river

kodydog

Quote from: Mojo on February 17, 2013, 08:25:15 am

I would have rather climbed into a bed and hibernated for a few weeks. Still I am grateful for being alive and here to harass the masses. Life could be a whole lot worse. :)

Chris

Sorry to hear about your mother Chris. If anyone deserves to sit back and kick his feet up its you. A day spent in soul filled contemplation could be very relaxing and help to get your thoughts straight.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

sorry about your mom too chris, I also lost my mom 25 yeas ago  my dad 4  :(

regalman190

February 22, 2013, 12:14:52 pm #12 Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:16:30 pm by regalman190
Sorry about your Mom Chris. It's always hard no matter what. My Dad passed away last July.

But, hang in there and take care of yourself.
Regal Canvas

Mojo

Thank you for the condolences. My Mom like so many others today suffered from Dementia/Alzheimers. It was heartbreaking to watch her slip over the last two years into a world that she didn't know who she was nor anyone else.

Thank God the good Lord showed his mercy and spared her from anymore misery. We looked upon her death as a blessing. Being completely lost in ones own mind is no way to live.

Thanks again everyone,

Chris

Darren Henry

QuoteThank God the good Lord showed his mercy and spared her from anymore misery

You're a sage and selfless man to see beyond yourself like that  Chris. my Mom ( just under 3yrs ago) had never recovered fully from the chemo/radiation for her breast cancer and then COPD set in. It did make it easier knowing that ---"it was her time". You're right.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!