Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 05:41:59 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Headlining

Started by Grebo, September 22, 2017, 12:46:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

I  have this customer, his boat is 10 years old & has alcantara covered headlining mostly on boards. This year the material went like bubbly in the heat of the summer ( most likely with the Aircon on as well) Now the weather has started to cool down they have all go flat & tight again !
Is there a cure for this ? Or is it just age of the glue/ break down of foam backing or something. ?

MinUph

I am not familur with this fabric but it sounds like the glue has failed and the heat allowed the fabric to sag.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Grebo

Hmm, makes sense, strip down job them. Ta

brmax

I would be curious if the boarding the fabric is glued to was easily removeable. My mind can see a few options here on the boat ceiling, like accessible control or piping equipment in the area. The removal of the old stuck foam could be a real pain in any situation.

Good day there
Floyd

Darren Henry

if Alcantara is the stuff I'm thinking of * I've seen it fail as auto headling in that ten year time. The dense foam backing just turned to dust.

* The stuff I'm thinking of is sold here for auto headliners. It's about 3-4 mm (3/16") thick with a velour type fabric and dense foam  rubber backing.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Grebo

September 25, 2017, 02:42:22 am #5 Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:44:11 am by Grebo
Quote from: Darren Henry on September 23, 2017, 08:39:22 am
if Alcantara is the stuff I'm thinking of * I've seen it fail as auto headling in that ten year time. The dense foam backing just turned to dust.

* The stuff I'm thinking of is sold here for auto headliners. It's about 3-4 mm (3/16") thick with a velour type fabric and dense foam  rubber backing.

Similar, more like a suede finish & foam backed I believe, boat is in France not local to me.
Foam backings often turn to dust here, I guess heat & age.