Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 04:16:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Stockinette

Started by fragged8, June 06, 2015, 10:55:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hi guys its been a while

can i ask a question to the upholstery guys n gals please.

I have completed a boat interior in a fabric , the foam was new and i covered it in dacron. The customer is complaining the covers are rucking on top causing ripples in the covers, i'm thinking that the stabilising coating on the inside of the fabric is sticking on the dacron and wondered if fitting Stockinette over the foam will help ?

Richard

MinUph

Whatever stockinette is it might be worth a shot. You should be able to tell whats going on when you take the covers off. If the dacron is all balled up the net might help. A good spray of silicone might also help. Or fogo the dacron altogether.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

fragged8

thank you for that i appreciate it, i've never used silicone are we talking a pure silicone ? i'm figuring not a silicone oil ;-)

MinUph

Silicone aerosol spray in a can. If you can find food grade it is cleaner. The stuff for automotive use has petrolium products in it and can possibly stain.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

June 07, 2015, 11:08:38 am #4 Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:13:30 am by kodydog
You cannot use the automotive type. It smells really bad. Here in the states most upholstery suppliers stock the correct type. It has many uses. I spray the blade on my foam saw for smoother action.

I've had the problem you speak of. It was really bad when using shrink wrapped Dacron. Also if I don't stretch the Dacron just a little when attaching it sometimes it'll get that rippled action. I have used steam with some success. But if it was not doing this when it left the shop then I assume it is happening during use. A muslin liner may do the trick. That will be a lot of work. Will you get paid? Or are you expected to fix the problem for free. Another solution is take the Dacron off and glue on a thin layer of super soft foam.

Just thought of one other thing, When you applied the Dacron to the foam did you glue it just around the edges or did you glue the whole piece of foam?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Judy_Boat

the wrinkling could be from the inside of the fabric sticking to the dacron. every time the person sits on the cushion they roll a small amount of dacron forward. soon that adds up to a big lump. if you have some of the fabric left try rubbing it over the dacron, if it really sticks then some type of intermediate layer like the stockinette (or thin film) is needed to break that action.

gluing the dacron down helps or as i have sometimes done, simply loosely stitching the edges can work.

fragged8

reporting back on this one.
I covered the foam and dacron in stockinette and also sprayed the cover inside with silicone, it is lots better but i'm still getting ear ache from the owner, the covers are pretty snug but I think if they are sitting on fabric covered cushions there is always going to be a  certain amount of wrinkling ?? its not as if they are vinyl covered which you wouldnt expect to wrinkle like that..
i'll see if i can get a photo uploaded.

Richard