Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 11:19:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Rounding an edge on a cushion foam.

Started by regalman190, August 10, 2014, 04:34:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

regalman190

Just wondering how you would cut a radius on the top edge of cushion foam.
Regal Canvas

MinUph

You can order foam with a buffed edge (best way) or you can sand it off yourself with a disk sander (more work) gently.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

cajunpedaler

One of my old time mentors said the way he rounded or shaped foam was to wet it, then freeze it, THEN shape it...
I never tried it, but it makes sense to me.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

byhammerandhand

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

MinUph

There used for sheetrock . I doubt they would do well with our foams.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

Like I implied, I'm not sure.   I use them for wood shaping.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

BlueFlamingo

I use an electric carving knife.  It works GREAT!!!!!

fragged8

when covering in vinyl  i wouldnt bother making a radius on the foam edge, the cover will pull the foam into shape.

regalman190

Regal Canvas

Judy_Boat

if you have strange rounding shapes you can try this
After the foam is fixed in place:
you can glue thin material(cotton or muslin) to the foam leaving the material loose over the area you want to shape. Then cut foam if necessary and pull the material down until you are happy with the shape and staple to the frame.
Then other padding and good material are put on.
Mid-50's upholstery textbooks are great for this kind on info.

seatbuilder

on some cushions I cut and grind with a grinder. On some I cut out a notch around the foam, anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" depending on the radius I want. Spray in glue and join. When this method is used you can add a strip of cloth over the finished edge for added security.
It makes a beautiful rounded edge with no grinding. If you want a much larger radius the other method is probably better

bobbin

Mike

It its just a knee bolster i do as ri h the cover will round the  edge. If it realy had to be round  then i rough cut it with a knofe then add a layer of 1/2" coam to smoothe things out

JuneC

If patching a damaged section, I glue in a new chunk, rough cut with a foam saw, then grind smooth with an angle grinder and 60 grit sandpaper.

For new cushions, I do like Mike - cut a smaller-than-necessary section and glue either 1/2 or 1" foam sheet over the section needing rounding.  Works great and looks pretty-much perfect. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields