Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 02:06:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

too much competition?????

Started by flhoosier, September 18, 2007, 05:13:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flhoosier

hi, i was just wondering how many other upholstery businesses in someone's locale would be considered too much competition for a newbie to start up against.  i count about 53 upholstery businesses listed in my yellow pages.  i'm looking along the line of furniture side of it, not auto or marine.  thanks...

monte

Mike8560

in my area there probly about a dozen marine outfits. there was 2 furniture shop but tonight a noticed a new upholstery interior design shop opening up.  not knowing you market area i couldnt say for me 12 might be it.

stitcher_guy

If you're lazy, you don't want competition. If you're industrious and know your stuff, WHO CARES??? If you are the best, the competition just becomes feeders for you. People go elsewhere, realize they've made a horrible mistake, and then come crawling to you with apologies because they should have used you in the first place.

Within 10 miles of me, I only have three or four other upholsterers in business that I know of (meaning they have ads in the phone book and a sign over a door). But, they aren't competition because none of these shops likes to do auto upholstery (one shop will do it if he's begged, but it's usually just a boat seat or a grain truck seat, and they are usually thrown together). So, instead of being my competition, they are part of my referral network. People come to me all the time based on referral from one of these shops and I send furniture back out (actually, back out to just one, because I know her work is on par with what I would expect to come out of a shop I've endorsed).

But, my competition doesn't stop there. I have had cars in from Wyoming, Iowa, Kentucky, and Missouri. As the crow flies out to Wyoming or to Iowa, there's a ton of "competition." Some do a better product than me, and others shouldn't be in business. But it doesn't matter to me because that one customer chose me based on what I had to offer. If they are happy, they will show off their ride and tell their friends, and word of mouth is a great buffer to the disadvantages of competition.

The thing I've noticed in this general area (maybe you have it too), my competition, whoever they may be, don't put themselves out there. I have a display for car shows. It's either just the display, or I get one of my customer cars out there with it. I don't even get set up all the way and I"m flooded with people asking about having their interiors done. It's not that I'm the only trimmer around here. I"m the only one going to them and meeting them and letting them know that yes, I'd like to have their business. It works.

JuneC

Simple strategic business question - to be the low-cost provider, or to differentiate yourself somehow (quality, customer service, niche product).   I broke into the business as the former, but am quickly moving to the latter because I like to eat and pay the mortgage.  Competition in this area is very healthy.  Lots of it.  I don't worry about them. 

I frequently encourage my prospects to shop around.  This actually seems to have the reverse effect - once I tell them to call around, they don't.  Happened this morning, in fact.  I gave a price, he 'bout fell over, I told him to call around to see if he could get it for less, and sooner (I quoted late October), and 5 minutes later he gave me the job  ;D
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

papasage

some of those might not be in buisness anymore . i had six at one time listed in the yelow pages . onley 2 in operation . now i am the onley one within 30 miles
just recovering 40 years

papasage

had one competor retired  from loss of a foot . another 30 miles away died another in the same town shot his wife and hemself . another town 30 miles the other way  has lost all but 1 furniture  upholstery shop . guess i might git some of their work . i now have a good helper and hope that i can .
just recovering 40 years

tudorford

Quote from: Mike8560 on September 21, 2007, 05:17:52 pm

Any story to that one was it stress from work or a cheating wife?
[/quote]

probably had a run on headliners lol

I have one other guy in town that supposedly does it part time but he sends most people who ask him to do something to me.  One lady about 20 miles away that has been doing it for about 30 years but everyone I talk to says everything she does smells like cigarette smoke when it leaves her shop (she's about ready to retire anyway)  and another guy about 30 miles from here who has also been doing upholstery for years but still hasn't learned to use a tape measure.  I re did a custom pick up seat he did a few years ago that had 10 pleats on one side and 11 on the other side of the center panel and they ranged from about 1 1/2 inches wide to about 3 inches wide.  I would have been emarassed to let it out the door.   I think he may be retired now too.   The only other real competition I have is over 100 miles away.
Just have confidence in your work and like stitcher said don't be afraid to get out and meet the people.  Car shows are good and if you do furniture or cars try your local Home shows,  anywere you can get your work out in front of a lot of people.

Steve
Always remember:  Where ever you go,  there you are.

M-E Fabrics

To add to what others have said.

Greet and meets are especially important in the begining, but I can't stess enough to learn you craft as soon and as well as you possably can. AND keep on learning !!!!!  It's easy to miss in the begining, but whenever possable concentrate on learning to do quality, not just quanity. You may not see it now, but it will pay off in the long run.

Lots of "quick crap" shops have fallen by the wayside, and you won't hear colpiments, just complaints.  The long term survives are usually the ones who can turn out quality. Usually the only complant one might hear about them is, "yeah they are expensive, but they're good".

Remember, honest word of mouth can't be bought! With time you won't have to spend as much time and money on advertising, your good work will advertise for you.

Paul.

stitcher_guy

I have people come in my shop and tell me to my face, "I've heard you're expensive and it takes a long time to get the stuff done. Here is my seat, call me when it's done."  ;D ;D

They think I'm slow, but they just don't realize how backed up I am. When they part is on the table, it goes rather quickly. Oh well. At least I"m booked up.

baileyuph

ATRN arrived this week and an article appeared that profiled auto trim, auto acc., and canvas shops in the Miami area.  What I read in this survey from local shops was a bit ironic in that they are experiencing a slowdown, some going out, and in general harder times.

The article provides reasons and they do range from too much inexpensive people doing canvas, without a license they emphasized.  But, the formal shops do have competition down there due to the amount of undercutting.

Auto trim is way down and accessories are also. 

Lack of quality skill was reiterated which would be worse if business was normal.  It was speculated that some of the displaced skill in that area would likely have to move to other areas to find work.

It is an interesting article, if you have or can get a copy of ATRN, I am sure it is something most business people will want to read.

Here in the Midwest it is slowing some, but quality shops are busy.

Doyle

Mike8560

is this it Doyle?
http://www.atrn.com/ci_pick.cfm?id=390

I never heard of it so i googled it thanks

baileyuph

September 30, 2007, 06:17:36 pm #11 Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 06:05:21 am by DB
Yes Mike, that is the ATRN site.

Glad you did that because what you read is Part 1 which appeared in their issue 9 (September) magazine.

Now, the Part 2 is the continuation which is in their October magazine, or issue 10.

Definitely read part 2 also.  Maybe it will appear on their site in time.

Is this copy protected against someone scanning  and e-mailing to you?

I would think so, perhaps I should read the mag cover caveats.

You would find this interesting Mike.  You are not that far down are you?

They profiled from surveys of industries in Miami.

Doyle

Mike8560

Seem like i missed the canvas related part Doyle. id like to see it.
Im not quite that far south and on the west side.

baileyuph

QuoteSeem like i missed the canvas related part Doyle.

Part II, which hit the street this week had a few comments about canvas.

It isn't an extensive report, just an overview of the Miami area and how some of the shops (auto trim, auto accessories, and some canvas shops )are fairing right now. 

Overall, things are down, shops that did have a number of employees are really down.  The long established diversified shops known for quality are hanging on the best.

Problems cited are cut rate unlicensed guys - price undercutting!

Another point made is those with a lot of money are not free spending like a few months ago.

BTW, check your email. ;)

Let me know if it is readable.  You might have to magnify.

Doyle

Ihavenoname

March 17, 2011, 08:50:35 am #14 Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:45:28 pm by OneBoneHead
Quote from: stitcher_guy on September 18, 2007, 07:52:05 pm
If you're lazy, you don't want competition. If you're industrious and know your stuff, WHO CARES??? If you are the best, the competition just becomes feeders for you. People go elsewhere, realize they've made a horrible mistake, and then come crawling to you with apologies because they should have used you in the first place.

Sticker_Guy your a little, to say it simply, over confident.