Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 02:34:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pilot Frixion pen

Started by DDandJ, July 27, 2013, 09:11:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DDandJ

In a previous post momto3fatdogs mentioned the Pilot Frixion pens and that the ink disappears when steamed or ironed.

I stopped by Office Depot today and picked up a package of three.  I think the price was $5.99.  I got them home and gave them a shot.  Damnedest thing I've ever seen!  I am working with a light colored fabric so the black ink was just right.  I used the pen to mark the line for the skirt on my last parson's chair.

Thanks for the tip, momto3fatdogs!  I like your name, by the way.  I should change mine to dadto3spoileddogs :)

byhammerandhand

I asked my wife, who's a quilter, if she'd ever heard of these pens.   She says they get mixed reviews on the quilting forums.

Below are some things people have reported (all empirical anecdotal evidence)

* While the marks go away with heat, they can re-appear when it gets cold.  No one said what "cold" was, but I'm guessing that it might not be best for auto/marine/patio.

* Some colors don't fade well, she mentioned yellow pen on light colored fabrics sort of left a bleachy look.

* They are relatively new, so no one knows the long-term performance.   (Obviously, this would be more important for a quilt that will last a century or more than an upholstered piece)

* On a quilt, they're used on the show side, so it's more important that it not show.  On upholstery, you may be marking the back sides(???)
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

momto3fatdogs

I have used them extensively in quiltmaking, clothing, and a little bit of upholstery, but I only use them on the BACK of the fabric. I don't trust anything that marks a dark color to come out 100%. That's way too much margin for error for me. but they have worked well enough in the applications I have tried. Again, only on the backs or where it would not be seen. The greatest benifit for me is that the pens create a very fine line. Much better, for me, than chalk. I am able to have a more defined line for cutting with one of those pens than chalk. But I never learned to use chalk effectively, so maybe therein lies the problem!

Sam

PS: I got the name Momto3fatdogs when I had a 120# bassett hound & 2 140# Rottweillers. Yes, the bassett REALLY was that big. I lived in a very small county & worked at a landfill. I took my dog, Chelsea - the bassett, to work with me every day. People would identify me as Fat Dog's Momma. Well the original Fat Dog died almost 4 years ago & I miss her dearly. Now I have an English Springer Spaniel, named Bourbon, he's not fat, but the nickname stuck. I take Bourbon to work with me now too. I still work at a landfill & he's good company. _ We also have a mutt named Brandy & a German Shepherd name d Briscoe (named for Jerry Orbach when he died - that's when I got Briscoe!) - My limit is 3 dogs - so that's how I got it!!!

kodydog

Great story M23FD's. From a bonafide dog lover. Three is our limit too.

I've never tried the pins but have tried the disappearing tailors chalk with mixed outcomes. I always mark on the front and sometimes it doesn't quite go away.

The shop I currently work has yellow chalk by Crayola that doesn't always go away. They also have white chalk by the same company. It has little pieces of gypsum in it. When your marking and hit a piece of gypsum the line will not show. Frustrating for sure.

I talked the boss into getting white chalk by Prang. But he got the wrong kind. It's very brittle and the least amount of pressure breaks it in half. Dropping it on the floor will break into 3 or 4 pieces. The chalk I always got for my shop was, PRANG-Hygiena-dustless board chalk. And it works like a charm.

I've never done quilt work but can imagine fine lines for a good outcome. And no board chalk can be sharpened that fine.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

momto3fatdogs

I have used a chalk that glows in black light & a chalk that disappears with steam. (Neither in an upholstery application) Both left residue that if you REALLY wanted to see it, you could. I think that any chalk that is going to be able to sharpen into a fine line or point has to have some sort of binder in it? Maybe wax? I dunno. Let's just say I don't think that there is ANY product out there that works 100% better 100% of the time.  But for now, I'll use the pens. I like them best! I am thinking though, that they will not perform well on any fabric tht is heavily textured or loosley woven. It would be more like connecting the dots. Close dots maybe...

Sam

Mojo

I have used two different types of " vanishing " chalk and neither worked. I just ordered a new brand and while it doesn't vanish I like the feel and thickness of it.

Never used the pens before.

On the dog front we have had up to 3 german shepherds but just lost our old girl a couple months ago.
We have a new pup who is now 1.5 yrs old. Her Grandmother won the USA Seiger championship making her the top GSD in the country. She is all black and an amazing dog with excellent lines. Our other is a male GSD pretty much all black and about 105 lbs. Both are great dogs. :)

Chris

momto3fatdogs

My quest for GSD's has not gone well in TN. I got Briscoe from what I thought was a "good" breeder. He's a great dog and I love him, he's like a huge teddy bear. But he's got very brittle bones & very brittle teeth. At 6 years old he's had major orthoscopic surgery on one of his elbows and he's broke off nearly all his teeth. He also has a chronic skin condition and requires maintenance medication for the rest of his life. While SOME of his ailments (bone) can be chalked up to his breed, I think most of it is his BREEDING. Will I have another one? Yah. Planning on 2. I like big dogs and regardless of thier disposition? Power percieved is power achieved. All I had to do was tell the first kid that came to my door selling something for school that "if they ever see that BIG BLACK SHEPHERD out? Don't run, he'll get you". 5 years. No kids have come to my door.  That's bad of me, I know! but my husband does a LOT of traveling and having my dogs allows me a certain degree of comfort. Them & the fact that I skeet/sporting clay shoot too! ;)

Sam

Mojo

Sam:

Our big male ( 105 lbs ) is a rescue we got from some breeder friends. he actually came with papers. :) Taz, our 1.5 yr old pup I got from a breeder called Crooked Creek Ranch. They produce some amazing GSD's. Many are all black but some of their litters have the Czech colors. They breed alot for seeing eye dog schools so sometimes it is hard to get a pup. Most of the litters are sold out before the pups are born.

Taz is an amazing GSD. Very healthy, great confirmation and extremely intelligent. If I could just teach her to sew. :)

When you get ready to get another one let me know. I will put you in touch with Karen ( Crooked Creek Ranch breeder ). They are located in Cape Girardeau, MO. I had Taz flown in. I think the total cost for Taz, ( flight, vet, etc. ) was $ 1,300.

Chris

momto3fatdogs

Awesome! I will definately keep that in mind. I hoep that he lives LONG LONG LONG, but my husband believes I'm fooling myself. He's 6 this year. I think I will be incredibly lucky to have him until he's 12.

Sam

byhammerandhand

For those interested in trying them out, Office Depot has them on their back-to-school sale this week:

Pilot® FriXion Clicker Erasable Gel Pens, 3-PK
$4
Reg. $6.99
Valid  8/4/13  through 8/10/13

We now return you to your regularly scheduled off topic discussion.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

I still have not learned my lessen so I still use felt tip Magic Markers.

I've notice that I can now get 4 for under $4.00, AND, they do not last nearly as long as they did just 6 months ago.

It's always nice to lower your price and still maintain, or even increase, your profit margins.

I'll buy some Pilot Pens and I'll get off topic on some other thread to let you know how they compare with the Magic Markers.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Dede

West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

momto3fatdogs

I figured there wold be drawbacks somewhere sometime. But I still like them!