Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 01:03:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Patches Sewn on Sleeves

Started by njpatriot, November 10, 2015, 12:11:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

njpatriot

I have a family member who recently joined the military and needs patches sewn on the sleeves of a number of his uniforms.  I can't figure out how to use my machine to do this.  The patches are on the upper part of the sleeve about 6 inches down from the shoulder.  He is trying to pay off his college loans and uses all of his money to accomplish this.  I am trying to save him some money.  Has anyone sewn on these type of patches using their machine? 
     I would think that alteration shops must have a machine with an extended arm to accomplish this, as I always see police uniforms with rank on the sleeves at the laundromat.  Now this has peaked my interest as to what type of machine they use.  I can't seem to find anything on the internet that would make this fairly easy.  Does anyone know what type of machine a tailor would use at the laundromat?  Very curious at this point.

Thank you,
Jeff 

MinUph

You can get the sleeve under your machine. Pin the patch in place and you can work it under. Start from the neck and work the rest under. Just don't sew two layers together or he will have a hard time getting it on. :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

The optimum machine for this is a patcher. They are designed for the shoe repair industry. They have a long narrow cylinder bed and the foot (which is also your feed dog) rotates 360*. This allows you to sew in any direction. You also have a nice big handwheel for stitch-by-stitch control in awkward spots like the wings of a Harley Davidson patch.

I'd go see my neighbourhood cobbler. I'll also share two other "lessons learned"; Sew as close as possible to the perimeter of the patch to prevent puckering and lifting at the edges after umpteen washes, and provide the sewer with the exact specifications of where the patches are to be placed. I can't see your military being that much different than ours---6" to the tip of the chevron, is not 6 1/8" !! I've seen inspections where the removable "brass" like name tags and collar dogs were actually measured. Our favourite  "Jar head" [heels together, wink] will attest.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

November 10, 2015, 05:14:24 pm #3 Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:19:40 pm by kodydog
When I was in Boy Scouts I hand sewed them all on. Don't know if that's military reg. but I'll bet that's how Martha sewed all of Georges Patches.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virgs Sew n Sew

That was actually part of my job duties in the Army.  It is easiest when done from the armhole.  As regulation states, the patches need to be placed halfway between the shoulder and the elbow.  I spray with temporary adhesive and don't have to mess with pins.  Hope this helps.

Virginia

Darren Henry

QuoteWhen I was in Boy Scouts I hand sewed them all on

Wasn't there a merit badge for that ? That had to be sewn on LOL
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!