Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 04:59:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Stop Storage

Started by byhammerandhand, November 01, 2015, 05:24:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

November 01, 2015, 05:24:21 pm Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 05:25:19 pm by byhammerandhand
Maybe someone can glean some tips for this, http://www.familyhandyman.com/workshop/storage/hardware-storage-diy-tips-and-hints/view-all

Some (meh) old suggestions like muffin tins and screwing bottle lids on the underside of something (yawn).

I've grown partial to these, cheap, often on sale come in regular, half size, and double depth versions,  Bins reorganize interchangeably and pull out if you want to take them to the work table.

http://www.harborfreight.com/19-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html

For bulkier items, I like to use the little plastic jars that I get nuts in at Costco.  Larger, clear, and square to optimize storage.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

MinUph

Wow those Handyman tips are pretty bad. Some look like accidents just waiting to happen. Maybe for a home garage not a shop. I have come to like ice cream jars.
http://mms.businesswire.com/media/20150227006176/en/455302/5/SEA_SALT_CARAMEL_PINT_IMAGE.jpg
Not my favorite but it has the jar. They are see through like your peanuts, small enough for leg domes, screws, t-nuts, dowels etc. etc. And best of all the Gelato tastes great.
  I've been looking for some sort of rolling cart to take on installs mainly for cornice, and headboard installs. One that will have a tool box with some sort of compartments for screws, brackets, etc. and be on wheels. Can't find one so far.
  Anyway it is always a challenge to store these little things and have them accessible at the same time and not fall all over.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on November 01, 2015, 05:24:21 pm
Some (meh) old suggestions like muffin tins and screwing bottle lids on the underside of something (yawn).

I went to an estate sale of a deceased upholsterer a few years ago. His shop was 50' X 50' with a work bench that spanned 3 walls. That's 150' feet of bench with 150' of shelving above it. He had a gazillion baby food jars nailed by the lids to the under side of the shelving.  Most of the jars only contained 2 or 3 small items. Like a few t-nuts or wood screws.

I save the plastic tubs/lids that my lunch meat comes in. When my helper strips furniture, he saves as many of the old nail heads as possible and puts them in the plastic tubs. I sell the used nail heads to DIYers. They love them for a more authentic look.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I've had my upholstery buttons, shells and backs, in Costco Cashew plastic containers for at least 10 years. They are clear plastic so I can see how many I have, and the opening is big enough for me to get my hand inside.

I would not want to use glass jars, especially the ones with the lid screwed to the bottom of a shelf, because my hands get so tired at times that I can see me dropping the jars. Eventually I'd have more lids screwed to the bottom of shelves without jars than with the jars.

A play on Parkinson's law https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law says that junk expands to fill the space available. This certainly seems true at my house.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

brmax

Great tip there Gene I just yesterday and today been using that yellow box type storage. I was doing the biz and post card passing out we had at a winter equipment storage / rental event. It was the fair ground pavilions winter usage thing.
In one box I keep tacks n stapler, biz card of the day, measuring tape and some sharpies, In another the same large size I store all business cards very handy to keep at the shop.
  Today while the thought and time was available, I dropped off some of the same advertisements with a few friends and posted some at a few key locations like boat ramps.
I had taken 4 of the same as you have above and used for snaps of all kinds, believe me these carry some weight, and prove to be an excellent tip. Now Gene your only making me get busy building a shelf set to hold these, no rest - no rest shaking my head

Thanks
Floyd

Darren Henry

I've got a couple of cases like the one Keith shows, but the bins are not removable. You can, however, move the little dividers to customize the compartments. Luv 'em!!! The big one is still full of plumbing fittings and the smaller one screws etc... from my stint with Bathfitter.

I've also got a tackle box like you see the pro's using for their crank baits. The front folds down to reveal 4 clear plastic trays with lids and dividers. It is my "boat box". One tray for snaps, one for windshield clips, etc... Very handy.

For in the shop I really like those plastic bins that hook onto a wall rack or stand. Easy to see what is where, and you can carry the appropriate bin over to the work station rather than guessing how many 2" screws you should take with you. LOL
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

I occasionally get calls from heirs who want to clean out their dad's workshop, as I'm president of the local woodworking club.

One a month ago had several shelving units.   One was a bunch of cigar boxes (remember those) without any labels (arg).   the other was an assortment of coffee cans and glass jars.  Most contained assortments of rusty parts and connectors, many used and salvaged.   I spent a couple of days last winter sorting through a few coffee cans of screws, bolts and nails that a friend gave to me when he closed his business.   I decided for the $5 I saved, I spent all day digging through rusty stuff.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

Darren I picked up a similar box as you mentioned, I recall some earlier post way back maybe a year.
I believe when asking for some tips on storage here,  Keith came thru with some of these handy new half size from HF.
Me and a nephew took a trip over then and they were on sale, dang it haven't noticed any sales lately but I should have picked up a few more then.
The same one you got is the ticket on the road trips for sure, I sure remember looking thru many plano fishing box styles. June I'm pretty sure mentioned in post that the same design you have was a real catch also. Luckily I was able to pic one up, great part about this site sharing some good tips.
If I could just find some new bubbles for my level ::), I had some behind a new box of welding sparks just cannot find them now?

Floyd

Mojo

I use an assortment of harbor freight storage boxes like Keith posted above. I used to use glass jars but finally transitioned over to the storage boxes.

I do use other containers for storing things like Doc uses. I bought a press from Doc and he shipped it to me with some button assortments which were inside his lunch meat containers. They do work great and I use them for storing attachments for the machines along with needles and other bits and pieces.

But I do like the Harbor Freight storage boxes for screws and other hardware.

Chris

sofadoc

November 07, 2015, 06:46:32 am #9 Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:08:16 am by sofadoc
I do use this little storage bin tote to keep my various feet, and other sewing machine parts organized.

And I think I bought this set of bins from Harbor Freight several years ago for all my button parts.

And this is just a random sampling of the used nail heads that I save in lunch meat containers. Mostly, I sell them to DIYers. But sometimes, I pick out the best ones for repair jobs.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

QuoteFor in the shop I really like those plastic bins that hook onto a wall rack or stand.

See Mojo's second picture.

I had several of the organizers in his first picture but they were over in the shoe repair corner, so I forgot about them. Now that he mentions them---yes they are good too.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

Doc I don't know what you would do if you ate summer sausage all the time hehehe
Seriously though that top pic, husky box looks handy.
I had removed all the drawers on my machine tables and have yet found a different setup or place to contain the handys at the machine station. ( they were unreachable? )
Its possible to use a box like that to my left mounted underside the top, what do you have there about 14Lx 12h x6 or 8 deep, curious can ya help a feller out there.
Floyd

Mike

u sused to eat a lot of spaghetti fast and easy and cheap so I had alt of cheese jars

to hold all my vsrious snaps parts. one dau a friend saw them all and said im seriously concerned for your health lol  I gueese he was right.

stolyte

Impressive cheese jars  :)

byhammerandhand

I have a friend who built a commercial 5000 sq.ft. woodworking shop when he retired as VP of a very large grocery chain.   He bought over 100 little plastic jars, built a rack for them, and has them all numbered.

Only problem I see is #74 doesn't say as much as "1/4 x 20 x 3" bolts" on the lid.  Especially when it's sitting between 1/4 x 20 x 2 1/2 bolts and 1/4 x 20 x 3 1/2" bolts (in some direction).
Keith