Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 07:07:21 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Presidential election year

Started by Rich, March 13, 2016, 05:19:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: sofadoc on March 22, 2016, 11:25:04 am
Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on March 22, 2016, 05:13:12 am
Nothing is going to change until both parties learn to work together.
The most over-used, under-meant phrase in all of politics. What's the point of a politician saying "We need to all work together" when they aren't willing to give even one inch?

The 2-party system isn't even designed with the notion of working together.  You're either a Hatfield or a McCoy. Riding the fence is not permitted. If a member of one party were to show a willingness to work with the other, it would be perceived as weakness. The goal is to break the other party, not work with

You hit the nail on the head.  Nebraska has a Unicameral so party affiliations pretty much don't enter into it.  Our unicameral has vetoed some bills that I never thought possible.  I think it is because we don't have a "Dem" versus "R" mentality.  Maybe DC should try it?

Virginia

SteveA

Work together -  I guess I never paid attention to how galvanized a Presidency could be until Mr. O'Bama's.  President Clinton moved center -
President O'Bama will not bend.  Take for instance health care - passed without one rep vote.  How do you make a legislation that affects every American without the other sides participation.  O'Bama's stubbornness cost him a chance at being one of the greatest presidents we ever had.

SA

Darren Henry

QuoteYou're either a Hatfield or a McCoy. Riding the fence is not permitted.

That is what I dislike about "party politics". We have three major parties and a couple of other registered ones. This sometimes leads to minority governments where the government is forced to work with the two opposition parties to move forward , and they need to work together to satisfy their agenda vs. the governing party. In the case of a majority government all beats are off. Sounds great in theory---but if my representative is order to vote on party lines drawn up in Ontario, how is (s)he really representing us in SW Manitoba?

I get the whole party concept. Without some structure, those 35? clowns we have would never even be able to decide what colour of socks to wear if they decided to re-convene. But without someone being able to say "hey wait a minute" young True-dope can go out and spend as much money as he wants to turn some tree his father liked to hug into a national shrin, ????, and I get to pay the taxes to finance it essentially without representation.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

scottymc

Hey Darren, is it compulsory voting in Canada? My wife and I just got a $76 fine each cause we were busy working and forgot to vote, we'll doing a postal vote next time. Speaking of which they just call an election here so they are going into elction mode, at least it only lasts 100 days, it seems to go for over a year in the USA.

Darren Henry

Hi Scotty. No it is voluntary. I wish it were mandatory like down your way. If we get >40% turn out for an election it makes the news. In our recent federal election the polls had the Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives pretty much neck and neck. In the eleventh hour,Trudeau and the Liberals started offering all this money for "special interest groups" like our indigenous people and they all ran out and voted; probably for the first time in their lives LOL. Lo and behold he won a majority government. Obviously  all those people polled who did feel they deserved free money didn't bother to vote.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Gene:

I've only seen headlines on the web.  What did or did not The Donald say about Cruz's wife.  I was shocked that a PAC went after Melania in that fashion.  So much for the unwritten rule about leaving families out of the campaign.  After that, Bob did some reading about her and is pretty impressed with her since she started her own company and has made a tidy sum.  You can't be an airhead and do all that.  So, you know you would be getting a First Lady who has a brain sitting on her shoulders.

Anyway, just wondered what The Donald did or did not say about Heidi Cruz.

Virginia

gene

March 24, 2016, 05:45:37 pm #51 Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:47:58 am by gene
I find no justification for terrorism.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Ye Gods Gene!

Two days ago, you were up in arms about how the press is mis quoting The Donald.  So, I thought that you might have the scoop on what he did or didn't say.

Where do you come up with your statistics on immigration and welfare.

As far as separation of Church and State, I think that many, who claim to be Christian, do not believe in separation of Church and State. 

Other than 9/11, our worst terrorism was by our own home grown Timothy McVeigh and the OKC Federal Building.  Immigrants do not have a lock on terrorism.  If our forefathers echoed the sentiments you wrote, most of us would probably not be here.  Germans were maligned, Japanese were held in "camps", Irish ditto, Catholics ... and on and on we go.

Grand Island has had a large influx of Muslims because of the JBS Swift plant outside of town.  As with any race or religion, there are good as well as bad.  We had 2 families on our block about a year ago.  One lived next door and I have to admit that I was more than happy when they moved.  Why -- because they were different from how we are -- their food gave off a horrible smell when cooked (made me nausious seriously), I have a hard time accepting women walking 5 paces behind a man, dressing in their Native garb while hubby dresses in "Western" clothing; and worst was they were incapable of carrying on a conversation in normal tones.  They would often get out of their car at 1 AM or later.  Driveway is right under our bedroom window so I would wake up every time as they yelled in tones louder than Bob & I use when we are having "words" -- I post this as a way of understanding some of your comments but I question whether that is grounds for denying them entry into the USA.  Not every Muslim wants to kill those of us born here.  I would wager a guess that most of them have no interest in that at all.

Again, may I ask, is the media headlines/accounts of the latest feud between The Donald and Calgary Ted accurate?  My take on it is that a Cruz Super PAC published a very hot picture of Melania Trump sizzling au natural (if I had ever had a bod like that, I would have posed in the nude as well).  Trump made some heated comments about letting the cat out of the bag (or words to that effect) about Heidi Cruz.  A Trump supporter, I think, twitted a side-by-side of Mrs. Trump, again looking hot, and Mrs. Cruz, looking about as po'd as a body can look.  Trump re-twitted it with a capture something like "A picture is worth a million words."  Cruz has his "dukes up" ready to defend his missus.

Yes, we have way more important issues at stake.  And yes, more junior high antics.  Again, they might as well lay them out and measure them (maybe we could get on to more serious issues if they did).  My curiosity was if the media got it correct this time or not.  I would love to see the Republican candidates drop all the jr. high crap and talk about serious issues, you know the environment, climate change, unemployment, the TPP and how it will destroy the soveirnty (can't spell -- too late) of the USA, etc. but until they do, I can only focus on what they choose to expose.

Virginia

Rich

March 25, 2016, 04:08:01 am #53 Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 05:05:57 am by Rich
Wait a minute, Virg, it sounds to me like you minimized the threat we face from Islamic terrorists and elevated the threat from climate change.

Islamic terrorists hate America for who we are. Are all Muslims to be considered part of this group? Of course not, the majority are decent, law abiding people like any other group of people. But, nothing about who we are and what we do is about to change and consequently, nothing about how this minority wants to kill us will either. That is a given and when our "leader" tries to dialogue with them or minimize their actions and not even want to name them, he is doing absolutely nothing about what is one of our biggest problems today
Climate change, sure, it's been changing since God created it and it will go on changing for as long as He allows it to. Are WE causing it to change? That is the big question that many are trying to use as leverage to institute the regulations that will do more to empower them than actually  having any effect on the "problem". It will cause economic hardship to many, but that doesn't seem to concern them.

I don't worry about climate change one bit, but our daughter has a trip to Germany coming up very soon and that concerns me because there is an evil element, with mental issues hell-bent on destroying anything American. That's real and although I don't plan on voting for Trump, (I hope I don't have to) I am heartened to see there are candidates running for the highest office in the land who are willing to recognize this and are willing to take action. Our inaction over the past 7 years has emboldened our enemies as they recognize their good fortune in this window of opportunity. It's about time it came to a close and American leadership began acting like America again.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

SteveA

March 25, 2016, 04:24:42 am #54 Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 04:29:23 am by SteveA
Other than 9/11, our worst terrorism was by our own home grown Timothy McVeigh and the OKC Federal Building.
Virginia
[/quote]

True but the Terrorists acts in total are the issue not a lone wolf with mental issues.  The terrorists acts are planned to target us by groups of killers that's growing larger every day - time to do something
SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

Here is where the rubber meets the road as the old saying toes.  More than one Middle East expert has said that GWB has done more for ISIS recruiting that any one else.  Whether that be true or not, I do not have the knowledge to say.  I had no problem with Desert Storm because we were invited, Sadam had invaded another country, lots of attrocities (still cannot spell -- no excuse now) being committed by SH and his henchmen.  But than GWB took office and we invaded again, on the pretense of WMD that it is now agreed upon did not exist.  That is when things start to get real dicey between us and Middle Eastern countries.  My opinion is that we would not have dispatched troops were we not so d*mn dependent upon foreign oil, yet another good reason to start spending more on R&D for reliable electric vehicles.  Better for the environment, lots of jobs developing and producing and we don't need your stinkin' oil.  Win/Win/Win.

Should we keep an eye on ISIS?  You betcha!  Should we round up every person from the Middle East and/or of Muslim Faith?  Not at all.  Close the borders?  Impossible and a huge waste of tax payer dollars.  Should we vet people entering the Country better?  Absolutely but brown skin, from xyz country and worship Allah is not an adequate reason to deny entry into the USA.

I will also say that we are 7 years + into Obama's Presidency terror acts have been minimal.  Boston Marathon was a biggie but the perpetrators were allowed in, I think, while Bush was in Office.  And, no, I am not blaming GWB for that one.  They came with their parents, one or both did go back to their home country.  Should we have prevented from reentry to the USA?  I haven't read enough to provide a knowledgeable answer to that one.

Myself, I don't want to live in a Country where we are so paralized by fear that we ramp up security to such a level that we no longer have basic freedoms.  Might want to go read what Thomas Jefferson said about fear all those years ago.  I submit that he is 1000% correct.

Gene, sorry that I didn't quote you as you make my above post look pretty stupid and not real lucid but it was at the time I posted it.  What bug got under your britches last night?

Virginia 

SteveA

You left out that husband + wife pair that shot up the place during a Christmas party.  Were there WMD - who knows - opinions vary - could they have been moved ? Not impossible !  I think the GWB could not take a chance - Monday morning quarterback is another view but make life or death decisions for a Country requires a backbone. He had backbone !   I agree we're a melting pot but lets just find out who is here - get them documented - pay taxes etc.   Paralyzed by fear - I don't see that in peoples faces.  I do see a resentment to the leadership in that leadership shows little concern for American's way of life SA

sofadoc

I agree that most Muslims living in the USA are non-violent law abiding citizens, not terrorists.

But if they became aware of terrorist plot by a fellow Muslim, would they report it to the police? Or just keep their head down and say nothing? When they suspect that a relative has joined an anti-American group, do they turn him/her in? Do they offer food, shelter, and even financial assistance to those who may not have our nation's best interest at heart?

If you were living in Russia right now, would you report any suspicions of illegal activities by other Americans?

Getting another culture to obey the laws of the land is one thing. But getting them to change their hearts and minds is quite another.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: sofadoc on March 25, 2016, 10:55:42 am
I agree that most Muslims living in the USA are non-violent law abiding citizens, not terrorists.

But if they became aware of terrorist plot by a fellow Muslim, would they report it to the police? Or just keep their head down and say nothing? When they suspect that a relative has joined an anti-American group, do they turn him/her in? Do they offer food, shelter, and even financial assistance to those who may not have our nation's best interest at heart?

If you were living in Russia right now, would you report any suspicions of illegal activities by other Americans?

Getting another culture to obey the laws of the land is one thing. But getting them to change their hearts and minds is quite another.

I agree with your intent.  Don't know what they would do.  Depends on the illegal activities.  Statement #4 is why we have wasted so much time and money in the middle east.  We are trying to change thousands of years of culture in a few decades.  Doesn't happen that way.

Problem is that we have thousands (hundreds of thousands?) already melted into the USA.  We certainly cannot round them up and remove them anymore than we can do that to the Hispanic culture already here.  We tried that with the Japanese during WWII and we ended up paying out boukou bucks in repatriation fees after the war was over.  Everything that is being suggested by the Rep. candidates is blaming all Muslims and Middle Eastern people.  So what is the correct answer, I don't know.  Just know that Trump and Cruz solutions are not the America that I want to live in.  One candidate (maybe no longer in the race, not sure) wanted to give a number to -- can you say Nazi Germany?  Good vetting will prevent any future episodes, don't know what to do about those that may be in country already.  Open to reasonable suggestions.

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: SteveA on March 25, 2016, 09:31:10 am
You left out that husband + wife pair that shot up the place during a Christmas party.  Were there WMD - who knows - opinions vary - could they have been moved ? Not impossible !  I think the GWB could not take a chance - Monday morning quarterback is another view but make life or death decisions for a Country requires a backbone. He had backbone !   I agree we're a melting pot but lets just find out who is here - get them documented - pay taxes etc.   Paralyzed by fear - I don't see that in peoples faces.  I do see a resentment to the leadership in that leadership shows little concern for American's way of life SA

Steve, we will be paralyzed by fear if we give up too many freedoms in order to "be safe". 

Yes, left them out on purpose.  Kinda just wanted to use Boston Marathon and OKC Federal Building as they were the closest I could get.  9/11 encompassed too much property and way too many human lives (both US and our allies who had loved ones die).  Ca. incident was not on a scale to try and compare with OKC.  Boston Marathon is still much smaller but thankfully there aren't too many to draw from.

As far as WMD go, Colin Powell has stated on multiple occasions that we were given bad information  I think that in a few years they probably would have had WMD but not at that time.

I agree with need to know who is here and document and pay taxes if they are employed.  I just don't want to see them in a separate database, strictly because of their skin color and/or faith.  If they have immigrated her, ICE should already have their information and we should already know their whereabouts.  IF there is sufficient grounds to track them further, again ICE should already be doing that.  I think that is part of ICE's responsibility.

Virginia