Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 04:53:27 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Channell back chair

Started by gene, January 20, 2015, 03:45:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

January 20, 2015, 03:45:41 pm Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:50:50 pm by gene
I'm working on two channel back chairs.

The previous reupholsterer sewed a cover of front channels only, put a thin layer of cotton over the old channels without taking them off the chair, and then put the sewn cover over the old channelss and stapled at the top, bottom, and sides.

He cut the bottom of the old channel back cover long the bottom and left it that way. This allowed him to pull the seat fabric and the new sewn channel cover down and staple.

It looked good until you looked close and saw that he didn't match up the widths of the channels very well.

Does anyone do this on a regular basis? I have no intention of doing it this way. I haven't seen this before and was wondering what others thought about it.

Thank for your thoughts.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

The technique can be made to look very well. In our business if it saves time and works fine, why not?

How would you slip cover a chair like that? 

Doyle

MinUph

I remember in the old days many Upholsterers did it that way. Some would sew the channels together then hand sew them in the channels. It looked good and did the job. Really all that is required it to have the top to bottom pulled tight at the seams and then tack it in with a long stitch. I personally never did them this way because its not the way I learned.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I got one in recently where the last guy hot glued the new fabric into the old channel ruts.

I also got one in once where the guy added a narrow strip of plywood behind each channel so he could back-fold and staple the new channels in over the old ones.

American ingenuity at it's finest.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Thank you for the feedback. I do appreciate you all sharing your experiences.

QuoteAmerican ingenuity at it's finest.

From the country that brought you Billy Bass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx2LWhRMc8Y

gene

gene

February 01, 2015, 06:19:09 am #5 Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:22:41 am by gene
Here be my pics of the finished chairs. Bookend matches. I ran the gold down the front edges of the channels instead of the dark blue. That turned out very nice. I think the dark blue might have put too much blue across the back and may have looked top heavy.

gene

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/genejoe/th_DSCF3220_zpstsmj9r2a.jpg

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/genejoe/th_DSCF3221_zpsyfjmz6zf.jpg