Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 10:49:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

coil springs

Started by maggies1, December 05, 2013, 06:37:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

maggies1

I am working on an antique stuffed chair. It currently has coil springs with an edge wire I know the springs need the normal 8 way tie but I really don't think the frame can stand all the hammering. Like I said it is very old and has been redone many times over the years.  Do you have any suggestions of how to make this work with out the traditional 8 way tie? Would helical springs with torsion springs to hold the wire up work? I don't want to give my customer bad work but I am afraid the chair is too fragile. Help please :)

sofadoc

Hi Maggie

Obviously, the frame needs some restoration work done to it. If that isn't in the budget, about all you can do is improvise. Could you add a new rail to the inside of the frame, and stay within budget? And you may have to secure your spring tie with staples if the frame won't withstand any hammering.

We don't always notice postings here. Try posting in "General Discussion" for more responses.
I'll bet there are a few guys that will have some ideas for you.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban