Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 02:12:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A sticky situation

Started by gene, October 17, 2015, 07:25:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

October 17, 2015, 07:25:05 pm Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 07:26:10 pm by gene
Great link for gluing this to that. At least I think it's a great link. I haven't tried everything yet but it at least gives you a place to start when you want to glue this to that.

http://thistothat.com/index.shtml

I wonder if this is what Keith uses?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

yes, I have used it.  It's introduced me to a couple products that I would not have otherwise known of.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

Thanks Gene. My pop up camper has an ABS (plastic) roof with a rubber seal around the bottom. The seal keeps rain water out when the camper is closed. Problem is, and apparently this happens to all campers of this type, that rubber gasket is glued on and frequently comes loose. I've tried everything in my arsenal with no permanent success but have never heard of Barge. I'll check it out.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

Barge cement is used in the shoe repair industry. I have several other brands that I prefer. I don't think it will stick to your ABS. I'll get the name of the Wurth product I use at work for that type of application.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Darren Henry

Have you tried the stuff from the auto parts places for re-gluing your weather stripping around your doors etc...?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

I haven't Darren. But some folks on a fb pup up group have without much luck. The camper is a Coleman made by Fleetwood. And whatever the manufacturer used failed also. One of the problems is the bottom of the gasket sticks to the bottom part of the camper when you start to crank it open. It sticks for just a second and then lets go but that's enough to pull it off. I've tried using silicone before closing but when it sits closed for sometimes 6 months it still sticks and the glue fails. Goop super adhesive/sealant seems to work the best but only lasts a couple of years. I've also tried Liquid Nails, contact cement and JB Weld Plastic.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Kody, Being in Florida and having this issue seems to be normal. You say this Goop stuff lasts a couple of years. It doesn't seem too bad to me. You also mentioned leaving this closed for 6 months at a time. How about when you put the camper away placing a piece of wax paper to keep the seal from sticking to the plastic. Might just add a year to the 2 your getting. Might take a couple of minutes to place it but would be worth a try. I would imagine this is the time when it would stick real well.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

The stuff I'm thinking of is Wurth saBesto "power grip adhesive". I don't remember using it on ABS put it works great sticking rubber weather strip to metal like on the doors of enclosed cargo trailers.

We don't have the humidity you do, but we do get into the nineties in the summer, and I haven't had any heat failure issues with it.

I like Paul's idea with the wax paper, but I wonder if a smear of Vaseline etc... might be easier if it's windy and it will help keep the rubber supple.