Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 10:11:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Machine Attachments - feet etc.

Started by baileyuph, April 02, 2016, 07:49:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Good information is shared on machine purchases, along with that there are other issues facing a business - machine attachments (for example feet and attachments).

As a starter how does one fabricate double welt for furniture?

We at least know or suspect factories do not spend the time covering double welt as shops do?

What are the reasons and has any shop owner conquered this issue?

Doyle

MinUph

I bought a folder for double welt. The first try it worked well. After that it fails more than works. One my my seamstresses sews DW by hand so well it looks like it was done in the factory. The other girl does it just about as well. Me I can't sew it anymore. The hands just dont work like that.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

I wrestled with making double welt cord for a long time. This video showed me the light. I make mine just like in this video, then cut the lip off the fabric with scissors and I am good to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW2Hc3mYBtA

I would think factories would have to use a jig/folder to make theirs because they make such a large quanity that doing it by hand would be cost prohibitive.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on April 03, 2016, 03:10:13 am
I bought a folder for double welt. The first try it worked well. After that it fails more than works. One my my seamstresses sews DW by hand so well it looks like it was done in the factory. The other girl does it just about as well. Me I can't sew it anymore. The hands just dont work like that.
Sorry you don't like your DW folder attachment Paul. I like mine more every time I use it. On thin flimsy fabrics, I go up a size to 6/32 cord. And on extra thick fabrics, I drop down to 4/32 cord.

I have 2 different styles of DW feet, and I found that the folder worked much better with one style, but not the other. The thread kept breaking with one of the sets.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Interesting comments --

Gene - Just looking for relative comparison, about how long does it take you to cut & sew
10 yards of double welt and what are the finite steps?  Cutting - bias?, Trimming after sewn?  Your comments about factory equipment - I have engaged with that subject and found that the best DW attachment is actually made for one welt and one piece of fabric to accommodate the smaller differences.  Of course the foot size is also part of the engineering picture.

Sofa - When you change cord size, the same foot is used?  The cord change from 4/32 to 6/32 is significant (1/16 " difference and the same foot is used)  ---- interesting.  The DW folder must have been made for what size cord and fabric thickness?  Something in between.

Let me add, I have alledgedly a 1/4 inch folder and use a 1/4 inch foot.  If I may say using average fabric thickness, the welt feed through when cut 1 3/4 inch on bias and the output is usable with extra trimming, etc.  Like said, looks usable but on inspection one side of the cord is slightly tighter than the other.  Wish that both sides were equal to the tighter side. What is going on.........opinions are welcome, my judgement is the folder was made out of calibration.  First I questioned alignment (folder to needle/feed) but after tinkering with that didn't help.  Probably the cause is a more spot on accurate folder would work better.

If any of this is concrete enough, I think my best shot at the folder needed is for a cord size, have about three sizes in the folder selection to accommodate the fabric variances we may face (Ok, if only two would meet normal goals - fine (more than one to handle fabric variances is the best hunch).

I definitely cut on bias.  Yesterday was a big day for DW, had to generate almost 40 feet of it. 

From the business stand point, I can't stay in business making a lot of it and having to trim what comes off the machine.

Another conclusion, if DW comes back in use as it was some time back (?), I will engage with a special service with engineers who make the welts and go from there.  There arn't many left though - could be hard to find - money talks however.

The cost of DW folders vary in price - anyone have a reading on the cost.  Mine from Burch was a $100 I think.  Doubt they still handle such. 

All that compounded by the need for at least two welt sizes!!!!  LOL.

Have a good one - anyone else with an experience?

Doyle

MinUph

Quote from: gene on April 03, 2016, 04:24:31 am
I wrestled with making double welt cord for a long time. This video showed me the light. I make mine just like in this video, then cut the lip off the fabric with scissors and I am good to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW2Hc3mYBtA

I would think factories would have to use a jig/folder to make theirs because they make such a large quanity that doing it by hand would be cost prohibitive.

gene

That's how we do it too.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

MinUph

Quote from: sofadoc on April 03, 2016, 06:01:11 am
Quote from: MinUph on April 03, 2016, 03:10:13 am
Sorry you don't like your DW folder attachment Paul. I like mine more every time I use it. On thin flimsy fabrics, I go up a size to 6/32 cord. And on extra thick fabrics, I drop down to 4/32 cord.

I have 2 different styles of DW feet, and I found that the folder worked much better with one style, but not the other. The thread kept breaking with one of the sets.

It does like one dw foot better than the other. different machines but I'm confident its the dw foot that is the difference. But it alwyas seems to miss some fabric underneath maybe 6"-12" randomly. Lots of time to repair it before gluing it on. When it does work its great but the girls have given up with it. They spit it out pretty quick without the folder.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

Interesting Comments = the last job that I sewed a double welt I tried a suggestion out that a friend gave me.....  Using two different size welt cords -
When you roll the fabric over the cord on one side - one cord is fatter.  That is when a smaller cord equals in thickness the larger cord. 
The last time I sewed DW I wasn't paying attention and 2 feet went through on an empty bobbin. The DW foot puts you to sleep -
SA

gene

April 04, 2016, 06:10:47 pm #8 Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:13:47 pm by gene
Doyle, I'm not sure how long it takes me to make 10 yards of DW. I'll try to remember to time myself the next time I have a DW job.

I have certainly gotten over the learning curve. I used to sit down and try out different techniques depending on the fabric. Now I sit down and sew away. Wasn't that a song by Styx, Come Sew Away?

I cut 2 1/2" wide strips. Sometimes on the bias and sometimes not, but the bias does make stiff fabric easier to work with. I sew them together like making regular welt cord. I then sew the DW with two welt cords. I then cut the lip off with scissors. This is one long process that goes rather smoothly.

I will occasionally steam iron the seams on the 2 1/2" strips to make them flatter. On some really thick fabric this seems to help the DW sewing go easier and to have less lumps in it.

Steve, I have a big roll of jute cord, 5/32" thick. I'll use this with a cotton cord that is thicker and this helps to equalize the size of the DW when I have thick fabrics.

Also when cutting off the lip I've gotten good enough that I rarely cut into the stitching. But if I do, a bit of hot melt glue takes care of it before I glue it to the furniture.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

I talked with a couple of custom attachment companies who made the folders for factory.  Their procedure is send them the material and a sample of the cord - they engineer that so their system will work at a very high rate of speed on a machine.  When it comes off the machine, no trimming required.

That's efficient!  The sewing rate would only be a short time per yard (way less than a minute).

A point today is (or a question):  Not as much used on furniture the last few years (new furniture). 

My folder does a decent job of folding and is fast for some fabric weights, another folder for a thinner weight is needed.  My propensity is do it right and faster.

Doyle