Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 05:28:19 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Marketing Idea

Started by Mojo, February 02, 2012, 05:36:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I posted on a couple RV forums I belong to about coming and inspecting
RV'ers slide toppers and window awnings for free and give them my professional advice on how much life is left in the toppers and awnings. This all took place at an FMCA Rally in my area this week. I hated to be out of the shop but I wanted to fill my March schedule.

The response was OK  I had 6 booked appointments and 5 of those turned into full orders. All 5 were big orders as well. The 6th inspection may turn into a full order in a couple months.
So it was worth the time I took on two mornings to do the inspection. I allotted 2 hours on Tuesday and 2 hours on Thursday.

I was just going to bring this up because I felt this type of approach may also work for the marine folks. If there is an event that is going to take place with boaters who are all going to be in one location at once maybe offer free inspections on a morning of the event.

I am holding the first of two seminars next week for an Owner's association. I was able to get a Sattler factory expert to come in and do the seminar with me. What is cool is that he is supplying all the ,materials for my seminar. By bringing in an expert like this it also lends credence to my reputation. Not many canvas people give seminars accompanied by a factory rep who knows his stuff. I would have loved to have done this event with MiamiMike but he is on the trade show circuit at the moment. By involving the factory it helps to have expertise as well as their backing through brochures, giveaways and bags.

If your schedule is slow then I highly suggest networking with associations. They have been a Godsend to me and have made my business very successful. I haven't even begun to tap into all the other RV Associations and just two smaller ones have been keeping me hoping for the last year. I plan on expanding into two other targeted associations in the future once business starts dying down with these two a little.

Do not over look owners associations. They are a great place to get a lot of business once you get your foot in the door. You also have a very captive audience and if your knocking out good products then referrals will come in and your name will circulate throughout the association and beyond.

I am sure some of these techniques can be adapted to other specialties in our industry ( furniture, marine, auto, etc. )

My little experiment turned out to be a success by offering free inspections so I thought I would mention it here. Just so you know I would have never offered these free inspections if they were not all at one place and parked together. :)

At the moment what seems to be selling my work is the heavy promotion I have done of Recacril and Sattler fabric along with Solarfix thread. I also make sure I tout my double row stitching on all seams and edges along with my 3 year warranty.

If anyone has any other input or suggestions I am all ears. I welcome any advice that may help me or help me improve my business or product. I always feel like I am over looking something or missing something I could  or should be doing.

Chris

Mike

Can't say I've heard I'd a event like youndescribe where boaters would come with there boat to attend  a boat show would be the closest thing I can  think of or small groups in ayacht club travleing to a marina.
I have been Invited to speak at a  55 plus traer park with a marina at there meeteing I've found them to be tight  perdonaly and I couldn't make it at the time. Inwouldnt be one to make a speach  anyway 

Mike

RisChris back when I had my Winni I was on some of the forums like irv2.com
but I never heard it any gatherings  do motorme mehave meets with clubs  like good Sam?

Rich

I'm glad to hear you did as well as you did with it, but my first reaction if someone were offering free inspections of anything would be that they will find something that will cost me. I'd figure they are going to be biased toward making back their time investment. But that's just me, b/c after all, many service businesses do it all the time (brake inspections, furnace inspections etc.) so it must be working for them.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Mojo

I got nabbed by a couple more while I was there and they asked me about their awnings. I told them they looked good and to call me in a couple years.........lol. If they are bad, they are bad. if they are good then that is my chance to make points with the association members by telling them they are OK.

To be honest I haven't a clue as to why they wanted my opinion about their awnings. The thread was gone is alot of them and the others you could see signs of the thread disintegrating. I guess they just wanted confirmation. :)

Chris