Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 10:02:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Making a new bimini

Started by Eric, February 06, 2012, 05:22:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

I need to make a new bimini, keeping the existing windows. Has anyone done this? how has it worked? And how did you do it? Would you leave top on and use plastic over it? make marks for start and stop of existing zippers. Some other way, just take measurments, popoff old top and make a new one fitting to frame and measurments and marks.
Thanks
Eric

Peppy

I've done this a couple of times. Always gives me hives. I made the pattern without the top on but all the windows snapped on and done up and when the bimini pattern is done I pull the windows up and mark the teeth + starts and stops. Helps having many hands.

It's worked out good in the end, but you have to be careful with your measurements before you pattern it. It helps if it's heavily supported with bars. Takes out the guess work.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

JuneC

I've done it like Peppy a couple of times.  Don't like it a bit.   :-[  It's troublesome as you might guess.  Worked out OK, but lots of tweaking was required in the end.  Charge at least 25% extra for the bimini - you'll earn it.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

FUNNY I JUST QUOTED A 33 SEA RAY FRIDAY NEW TOPSFRONT TO REAR
why i do  inststall everything then i cut open the pockettt a nit so i van mark the zipper xtart and stops on the front and rear bows. on the side i run a strong strapping tape from the front to rear bow  and mark the side zipper start and stops on it , then take the tops of and pattern markign the marks on the bows i also make note of how far from the  bow seam the zipppers are to bree down from . the side i mark from the tape marks  lift the windows up like everyone else if possible ,    not how i like to do it and i chage extra to do so and as the owner want to save money saving the slightly used windows . i aslo say it lik eputting the cart bofore the horse or putting a new foundation under a house. not easy