Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 08:33:00 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I love this quote

Started by TheHogRing, January 25, 2012, 08:56:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

January 25, 2012, 08:56:21 am Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:57:04 am by TheHogRing
"Personally I think a car's interior is the most complicated product you can design. If you think of it in terms of a house or something like that, you've got a TV, stereo, seating, table, you've got all those elements in a car but they all have to tie in, it's not like you can just get things to kind of work, they absolutely have to slot together. Timing and making everything work for a car is just so complicated.

"It's multi discipline, you've got elements of architecture, illustration, graphic design, product design, furniture design, all of those things, and for me that's the interesting part about it. It doesn't just stop at one discipline, it crosses many. It's great, but it can be a burden sometimes, with one foot in design and one in engineering. But I think creative people love a challenge and that's why we do it."

- Peter Cullum-Kenyon, colour and trim manager at Bentley Motors

Read the whole post: http://tinyurl.com/6k8l47p

What do you think, is auto trim - or upholstery in general - a multi-discipline trade? Or would you describe it differently?

kodydog

Lets see, an upholstery shop owner needs to know...

How different fabrics work
How different foam densities feel and work
Wood working
A little about different finishes
How different springs work and how to attach them
All the different aspects of sewing and machine repair
Maintaining all your tools
All the aspects of running a business. Salesmanship, bookkeeping, taxes, payroll, etc
Building maintenance. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry. Even if you rent you still do a lot of it
Grounds maintenance. I don't hire a landscaper.
Vehicle maintenance

This is just a small list for furniture, throw in car and boat upholstery and it could be endless.

The list could go on and on but besides doing all that stuff now I have to actually go do a little upholstery work.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

TheHogRing

Right on kodydog! You hit the nail on the head.

CreativeCanvas

Ya you gotta wear a lotta hats being in any business for yourself. But ya learn as ya go. Don't trade it for anything.

Not sure a car interior is the 'most complicated product you can design'. Pales in comparison to say, the artificial heart. But if he says so ...

I have a very simple list of design requirements for my vehicle(s):

1) Should run decently and not burn, or leak, too much oil and/or gas

2) Doors and windows should fully open & close

3) No more than one bald tire at any given time

4) Holes in floor large enough to accept a cigarette butt but not so big a beer bottle could pass through ...

etc

Driving used to be what one did to get from point A to B. Nowadays thanks to marketing it's known as a driving 'experience'? An 'event' I suppose they'd call it. Dunno bout y'all but I'd prefer my driving experience to be uneventful?

But I digress ...