Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 01:10:17 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Did you just do that?

Started by gene, November 13, 2010, 06:27:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CKKC

Cheryl,
That is the best reply that I have ever heard!

Peppy

I've heard it's better firmer than softer. Too soft and I guess the baby could strangle in it if face down. 
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mojo

Quote from: Cheryl on November 15, 2010, 04:19:37 pm
Hi Mojo,

I've been around the block enough times  now that it wouldn't  hurt my feelings or affect my sleep one iota to smile  when this guy come in.   Shake his hand and say..  "Mr. !@#$%^&* .. your reputation preceeds you!  Its so nice to meet you." Then when he starts talking about the work he wants done..  smile again and repeat "Your reputation preceeds you.  I am confident that I will not be able to please you, so  I can't work for you.  I know you want the best and  I feel  that you simply need to take your work to someone else.  I'm so sorry that it has to be this way but..  your reputation preceeded you.  Still mighty nice to meet you though!".

Smile the whole time.     If he gets sassy -- smile bigger..  he'll HATE it!!

:D:D:D

Cheryl,

I think you have the correct way of handling this situation.

But it would be easier for me to just hand him June and Mikes phone numbers and let him call them.

Heck I might even give him Greg's number. Greg doesn't sew solar screens but he will gladly tell him where to go. :)

Chris

Stephen

November 16, 2010, 09:08:33 am #18 Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:49:14 am by Stephen
Quote from: Cheryl on November 15, 2010, 04:19:37 pm
 Shake his hand and say..  "Mr. !@#$%^&* .. your reputation preceeds you!  Its so nice to meet you." ....... Smile the whole time.     If he gets sassy -- smile bigger..  

Cheryl's reply got me to thinking. Someplace [1 Pet 3:15]  it says to "have a ready answer ..... with gentleness and respect"

One reason that it becomes easy for us to get angry in response to a difficult client is we are unprepared and feel helpless. We don't know what else to do.

In order to better handle difficult clients it is a good idea to plan out, even write a loose script of what we want to say, and then: practice, practice, practice it over and over again. Practice and rehearse it so much that it becomes a natural and automatic response.

Then when a challenging client comes, our rehearsed response will come naturally. We will then have no reason to be afraid of or to be angry at difficult clients. We'll know what to do.

Best Wishes,
Stephen

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on November 13, 2010, 08:17:35 pm
He complains about anything and everything he buys and recently hired a lawyer to sue camping world over a 5th wheel cover that went bad. ( Thy settled with him  ). He is never happy with anything.

We had a guy just like that in our town. EVERY person or company he did business with, he either sued, threatened to sue, or WAS sued by for non-payment.
He refused to pay his roofer, because he said that the first row of shingles over-hung the eave of the roof by a 1/4" too much. He wanted the entire roof stripped, and re-done. He even sued the local shoe repairman over some belts that had been repaired so many times, that they were now too short.
He sued his mechanic, auto paint shop, doctor, and accountant. He MUST have had a "season pass" at the courthouse.
Luckily for me, his "reputation had preceded him" before he darkened on MY door.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

My mother was a librarian.  Well read, fully in command of the English language, and nobody's fool.  To quote her, "dear, there is indeed and ass for every seat".  No kidding, Mum!

I differ from Cheryl's practical approach in one respect only.  I'd end the conversation with, "Your reputation preceeds you and that's why I don't wish to risk disappointing you.  I'd rather remain on cordial terms and say that's it been a pleasure to make your acquaintence.". 

In the world of diplomacy it's always best to end the meeting with the "upper hand" firmly and politely established. 

scottymc

so what happened to the crazy lady, can you do a video of her, did you do the job?

TimsTrim

I suppose I have been fortunate in that I have not got reamed all that much over the years. After nearly 40 years it might add up to $100. But I think I got there by knowing when to "walk away" from a customer. I never negotiate down on price. I tell them straight up that "that's my price" and that ends the negotiating. As for deposits, No deposit -no work. No exceptions. I have a very good reputation around these parts and mean to keep it. Most people know of my work or know someone who has done business here before. I had a guy just recently tell me that he had heard I could be  crusty, cantankerous guy with some customers. I asked him if he came here for the "social interaction" or to get his car fixed ? He said to get his car fixed. We both laughed and that was that. Being firm with customers is not a sin. Some of them need the guidance.

gene

November 25, 2010, 08:22:01 am #23 Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 08:53:08 am by gene
She called Friday and wanted the cushion on Tues at noon instead of Wednesday.

She came in to pick it up and gave me a check from her customer, who I do not know, with someone elses' name as the 'Pay to the Order of' on the check.

She wrote me a personal check that had her name and her husbands' name on it, along with their address. They live only a mile of so from my shop. (The check did clear the bank.)

She called and left an answer later that day saying that the customer loved her cushion.

One 65 year old lady, four totally different personalities:
1. The professional Interior Designer who first called me on the phone.
2. The 3 year old child throwing a temper tantrum in my shop. (I'm still creeped out about that.)
3. The "woe is me I'm always causing trouble and I'm so sorry that I can't do anything right" martyr who came to pick up the cushion.
4. The really happy, life is good, I'm glad to have you as my friend, person who left a message on my voice mail.

The bottom line is that she got everything that she wanted, and I had to fight with her to get what I wanted. This is not the kind of customer I want.

I am thankfull that I only had to deal with her for a few hours. She has to deal with herself everyday!

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

You didn't say what the piece is. Is it something shes even going to come back to get. I once did an antique dentist chair for a dental collage student. All the pieces were screw off and on.  No deposit. When it was done he never picked it up.  I showed up on his door step one day with pieces in hand. I got paid. What a pain.   If you haven't started it I'd get the deposit. If you have started it make sure she pays cash.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html