Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 04:45:03 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How to get the staples widening?

Started by rob_fer, December 07, 2018, 07:21:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rob_fer

How all.
I'm glad to be a new member of that forum.
I would need some help to succeed in making the staples not to enter strait in the foam but I would like the branches to open aside.
I'm using SENCO LNS3215E  stapler feed with  16mm Senco MP08 staples.
See the pictures below:

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance to all.

kodydog

Are you trying to attach fabric to foam?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Have you looked into a plier style stapler ?
SA

rob_fer

@kodydog : No it is leather to Foam as originaly. It is the backrest of a car seat.

@SteveA : what it a  plier style stapler? Would you have a link to a  plier style stapler deller web page?

Thanks to all.

baileyuph

What is the year of the car?  Make?

What technique was used by the manufacturer?

Serging is often used to connect two or more layers of material?  This would eliminate metal in your process, as it would not interfere with later sewing - if that is what is going to happen??

On a backrest in newer cars, remember the airbag is in the seat! 

Good luck,

Doyle

rob_fer

Thanks a lot to all for your help.

I have found the right tool it is Bostitch T6-8OC2 Outward Clinch Stapler

@ Doyle it is a BMW E30 (325i convertible) from 1989.

baileyuph

Is it correct to understand that you are recovering a somewhat hard shell panel that covers the
back side of the front back rests?

How did the factory install the original cover - if so, is your material going on as another layer? 

The tool you have found to spread the legs of a staple, I read about.  Actually looks a lot like a
manual stapler - designed to spread the staple legs during installation - opposed to going straight in as it does over wood. 

You doing the complete interior - top - carpet and all?  Those BMW's are of considerable interest.

Good luck

rob_fer

@baileyuph:
yes I did it all including car body (metal shaping and paint) and mechanical rebuilding.
I'm finalizing it, I just need to end the 2 front seats (back are done) and replace the convertible top fabrics.

For the front seats back rests, Factory directly stapled the leather  on foam. I'm restoring the car as originally. That's why I was looking for same procedure.
I've tried to upload a picture but unfortunately it fails.
Thanks to all for your help.

baileyuph

Rob-

I am impressed to understand your comprehensive effort with this auto.  Very commendable.

My background includes extensive work on auto restoration.  On the BMW type I have worked on the
seats maintaining original materials in the upholstery.  Regarding your wide staple effort, that I have
never engaged as most of my auto work engaged American cars. But, have been there and done
extensive work on the VW Beetles.  They can get interesting in their seats/headliners in both the
sedans and convertibles.  They have been (probably still) recognized for their affordability.  The
seats/headliners/convertible tops however not just simple coverings - for example the Germans even
included headliners on convertible - something American cars did not do until much later. 

Great experience!  Keep posting about your new staple gun. The Bostitch is the one I searched
and read about.  The description led me to understand it isn't new style - be interesting to
understand how it works out for you.

My background is technical including formal grad studies along with anything with upholstery (furniture
and all places people sit - no matter what they do).

Back to the BMW, now I understand you are recovering the panel that is installed on the back side
of the driver's backrest - actually both front backrest.  That backrest is a formed shape that is
attached to the rear of the two front buckets (American talk).  Smile.  Since you are driven to originality,
I am assuming you are taking the original leather off those seat forms you are working on?  That is
taking things serious.  Keep it up - a good experience when doing as close to originality as possible.

Also, looking forward to hearing more of your ongoing experience.  The body work is something that I
got involved in very young (still a kid) and actually led to learning upholstery car and furniture
very soon.

Again, share your experiences.......

Doyle

rob_fer

Thanks a lot Doyle!!
I'll keep you posted.
Here are some pictures I hope they acn bee seen
1- just painted:

Direct URL: http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/50/1/1544452237-20080715-arreglo-cabriolet-325i-001.jpg

2- here is the back side of the front seat backrest (quite complicate to explain)  :). It is actually the location I'm worling on. Those are the ogiginal staples from BMW factory

Direct URL: http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/50/1/1544452851-front-seat-backrest-01.jpg

3- here is the where hiden leather face encounters the foam of the front seat nackrest:

Direct URL: http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/50/1/1544453182-front-seat-backrest-02.jpg

I'll show you how BOSTITCH stapler works once I'll got it.
Cheers.

rob_fer

Hi everybody,
As promissed, i'm posting the test results.
I finally got my BOSTITCH T6-80C2 (take note that PC8000/T6 looks very similar but staples straight, so for that kind of job do not use PC8000):

direct URL: http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/51/2/1545167899-20181218-203218-1.jpg

I ear some people complaining that such a staple guns doesn't work at all and that is a pure bullshit.
I think they were not using it propely. or Maybe the product was poor quality.
I had some test and works perfectly:

But you have to take care to be in a flat contact, I mean not not pressing with a corner, and you have to ensure the you are strongly compressing the foam during staple shot.
If the foam is not strongly  compressed the staple open before entering the foam and it is like you have done nothing.
:)

baileyuph

Thanks Rob for the update.  Very impressive!

If BMW used it, and they did, it is for real.  You have been clever to duplicate what BMW
did in factory production. 

There is solid logic in the angle of stapling and the amount of pressure required to make it work -
as you have done.

You have taught me something - thanks.  It would be most interesting to see this car in person.

Keep posting,

Thanks Doyle

baileyuph

December 25, 2018, 08:17:42 am #13 Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 02:24:18 pm by baileyuph
Rob,
Yesterday I worked on a BMW but not upholstery.  I was asked to replace the master cylinder and
booster unit on a later 80's - 6
series.  Beautiful car, a bit more technical!  Parts are expensive also.

I glanced at the seat upholstery and on this car, didn't notice the bent staples.  The leather in the seats
was still near new - I noticed the quality of leather used was very good leather.

I thought of you and your restoration project on this job. 

Customers who know me well will ask for help on related items that are not normal for the upholstery
business.

Enjoy your seat work,

Doyle

rob_fer

December 31, 2018, 12:08:09 am #14 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 07:05:36 am by rob_fer
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any question.
If I can help it will be a pleasure.