Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 06:55:12 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sailboat Season

Started by Peppy, July 12, 2011, 06:48:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Peppy

Ah, summer. I get to hide down at the marina getting my brain fried by the sun.

nice and tight.

curtains to follow. Hanging from the bend marks of the bimini.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

fragged8

looking good there Peppy, it's been 2 years since i did
a sailboat enclosure.

Rich

Mike8560

Ya lloking goodI pfoy get a sailboat on e every  two years myself

Got to. Be the hottest place  a marina 
no trees sun.
yve a breeze if your lucky. A d a long walk to the bathroo
or to find a drink.

Saddleman

Seems like if they could afford a nice boat like that, they could do a little better than craft paper for covers.  How does that hold up to the weather?

;D  Joking!! 

Nice looking work!

Mike8560

They pay all that money so they don't have to buy gas anymore in fact most don't wannt to pat anymore  cerry miuch.

bobbin

Blow boaters are the cheapest sort of boaters.  The "cruisers" are the absolute worst; always whining about how much the canvas repairs cost (but never caring for the canvas or lubing the zippers).  Wah, wah, wah... must really suck to have to maintain the 40' blue water boat, huh??  Must about kill them to have satellite internet connectivity so they can check their portfolios, huh?   ::)

Nice looking enclosure on that Chlolox bottle, Peppy.   

(we have a 19' sailboat, too cheap to have anything bigger!)

Mike8560

No offense to our blowboaters here. But bob in that why sarite is in buisness all those boaters with sewing machines onboaed making there own canvAs

where is Dave anyway? 

bobbin

You mean the canvas that never quite fit right in the first place and that people like me get to "modify"? lol

Shown

Quote from: bobbin on July 13, 2011, 03:20:32 pm
You mean the canvas that never quite fit right in the first place and that people like me get to "modify"? lol

I think yes:)

Grebo

Quote from: bobbin on July 13, 2011, 03:20:32 pm

;D    Good for business  ;)

I think I have a fair split between sail & power. I like the part time sailers, just traded up in size & blown it on a brand new model. Need so much stuff  ;D Even the one's which thought they had a good deal & bought loads of covers with it, need repairs alterations & extras  8)   Matching this n that.

Suzi

regalman190

July 14, 2011, 04:36:43 am #10 Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:37:07 am by regalman190
Nice work Peppy!

Lot's of sail boats up here, but not too many want new canvas. It's more re-stitch and new zippers.
Regal Canvas

JuneC

Very nice work, Peppy.  But I have to admit, the first thought I had was that your sailboat owner is VERY unique.  99.99% of sailboaters out there would never spend the kind of $$ it takes to put that nice a top and enclosure on their boat.  Even in pricey S. Florida where appearances are everything, I see more than a few with Home Depot blue tarps strung across the boom with cord. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

Oh June, in New England a lot of blow boaters have full enclosures.  If you have one you automatically extend the comfortable sailing season by up to 4 mos..  Also, a lot of the people up here have boats that go south for the winter and full enclosures allow them to depart after hurricane season and sail in reasonable comfort.  They also make going downeast considerably more comfortable even in the months of "high summer". 

Peppy

Thanks every one! Seems I am unique! I do 5 or six a year. But keep in mind Georgian Bay. It's a bay like Hudson Bay is a bay. Big blue water. A bay with many bays. Beautiful for sailing. But they freeze, and so they never truly warm up. Today got to 28©, tonight it'll go down to 8©. I've mentioned before, the current average surface temperature of all of lake Huron is 16©. If you go swimming in August there's a chance you won't get hypothermia.

Not to say these boaters aren't cheap, but like bobbin says, with a 1/4 million dollar boat and a 2 month season it only makes sense to spend money on extending the season. I have 4 more coming up shortly. Since we can only build on them when they're rigged we try to book them well in advance and have them float over to our local marina for a couple of weeks and wait for a calm morning. Then I can bust out a pattern between the dew and the wind, and not have a wasted trip to a distant windy marina.

Saddleman- When it comes back from the printers laminated it's better than any canvas!
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

July 14, 2011, 07:22:03 pm #14 Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:23:38 pm by Mike8560
I head ya on the water temp Peppy.  I used to live onake winnipesaukee nh and it never got warm when I didnswim in august I used to have to Jett floating out to deeper water as the sun set over the hill to stay in the sun or freeze.I could count I'm sure on my digits all the sailboats I've worked on and it was a big  cols lake and here one of sail mags best place to sail
http://www.ilovepuntagorda.com/boating.php
it funny all thoose sails I've never done ?