Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 11:56:13 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Stitch length calibration on Juki 563

Started by brownie2, December 16, 2011, 09:56:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brownie2

Can someone explain how to make the 6 in the sight hole really be six stitches per inch.  My machine is way off.
I'm to the point now that if someone would rewrite that stupid service manual I would be willing to pay $100 for it!!!!!!  Half the time the refer to figure whatever isn't even the correct figure.

While were at it, can anyone recommend a good repairman in north Georgia?  I've always been pretty good at fixing things but I'm loosing patients pretty fast with this machine.  I've probably got twenty hours into it so far and all I've got is an expensive boat anchor!!!
Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!

gene

I have a 562 and the stitch length indicator is off. The guy that serviced my machine told me to just stitch something to determine the stitch length. Then use whatever number is in the site hole as a reference to go longer or shorter.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

RocketmanMH1

Can you not get 6 spi, is it drifting in stitch length?

bobbin

I can't answer the question definitively.  But offer this:  when I took delivery of my Juki 9010 I was surprised that I was unable to really get the stitches to lengthen adequately to provide what I consider a "basting" stitch.  I spoke to the mechanic and he effected an adjustment on his next visit to my shop.  I'm not sure what he did to recalibrate the stitch length, but the stitch length dial now is more reflective of what I wish to have at my disposal for the sort of work I do. 

Once you find a good mechanic in your area I'm sure you will be able to have him adjust your 563 to deliver the variety in stitch length you desire.  The 563 is a very nice machine, a real workhorse and it will be worth your while to get it running in tip-top form. 

Mojo

I was able to adjust the stitch length on my 563. I had problems with it before then and ended up calling Bob Kovar
and he talked me through it over the phone.

I would give Bob a call. I am not sure if he is there right now or not as he was schedule to go to Hawaii for the holidays.
If he isn't there his son Bobby will be there and can talk you through it.

Chris

sofadoc

December 17, 2011, 06:14:22 am #5 Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 07:17:20 am by sofadoc
My old 562 stitch length dial was way off. I would say to keep adjusting and testing your stitch length until you reach 6 spi, remove the cover plate above the sight hole, and then loosen the setscrews on the stitch length indicator wheel, and reposition it until the number 6 appears in the window (those setscrews may already be loose, which would explain the numbers being way off).  But IMO those numbers are for reference only. I wouldn't count on them being 100% accurate.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

I'm with Gene. The lowest my setting will go is 7-1/2. But when I count the stitches there are 6.  ???
Doesn't bother me at all.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

brownie2

Well,  after sleeping on it and trying again, it seems to have almost fixed itself.  (4) is as large as it will go on the dial but that's actually about 3 spi.  I'll just do a stitch check since I can't go by the numbers.
Somehow I also got  the feed dog to have the correct motion without pushing the material forward.  Now I just need to finish up the new table top so I can try it out with the motor!
I never got a suggestion for a repairman in N GA. or Western NC.  It would be good to know just in case ever needed.

Toledo Mach. Sales

It's real easy to adjust the disc,if you look it has 2-screws loosen them but leave one alittle snug, put your finger on the button & turn it towards you all the way until it stops this is the longest stitch ,then turn the indicator disc to the highest #,tighten both screws & that's it.
Bob
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

brownie2

Ah ha!  I thought the disk should turn.
I'll try to loosen it up.
Thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!

kodydog

Quote from: brownie2 on December 18, 2011, 11:49:33 am
I never got a suggestion for a repairman in N GA. or Western NC.  It would be good to know just in case ever needed.

Hi Brownie. The wife and I love your neck of the woods. Our favorite campground in the world is Unicoi St Park near Helen Ga.

Besides being beautiful its also remote. Like where I live. I would have to drive 1-1/2 hours to get my machine repaired. I have a friend with a quilting machine that drives 4 hrs to Tampa to get it serviced.

Your the only member of the forum, that I know of, who lives in that part of the country. Hopefully one of our guests will log in and give you some info. In the mean time I would ask other upholsterers in your area if they know any repair people. I think your going to find you'll have to drive to Atlanta or Greenville SC to get service. How far are you from Ashville?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

brownie2

2hrs.
2 from Atlanta, Greenville, Asheville.
Next time your up this way just go a little further North and over the mountain to Hiawassee.  In the summer you'll feel right at home with all the FL tags.