Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 04:42:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Peppy Le Pew

Started by gene, August 29, 2015, 04:42:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

August 29, 2015, 04:42:59 pm Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:44:57 pm by gene
My wife feeds the birds and squirrels. This results in food for raccoons, opossums, ground hogs, hawks, deer, chipmunks, stray cats, and skunks.

6 a.m. this morning my wife lets our son's dog out the back door. We're dog sitting for the weekend. She keeps an eye on the dog so she doesn't run around the side of the house where the skunks like to hang out.

My wife is distracted for a moment by one of our cats getting out the door.

Run! Spray! Stench!!! And of course the dog then runs into the house and rolls on the carpet.

I'm sitting here in my house surrounded by candles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iQP8C1sAGc

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

We have been through this smelly irritation more than one time. My heart felt sympathy's are with you.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Been there and done that. Tomato juice and other home remedies, etc. does not work. trust me. Your vet has a solution that contains certain enzymes which break down the stench and eliminate it.

Bu be forewarned, if your dog gets wet fro the rain or whatever two months down the road, some of the smell will come back. I had a shepherd that got it and it was 3 to 4 months till he smelt good again. I used every home remedy you could think of and nothing worked. Then I got some of that solution from the vet and it instantly took it away on the dog.

I was out rabbit hunting once with my beagle. She cornered a skunk and when I went to grab the dog the skunk let loose and got us both. I went instantly to the ground and puked. I was on my knees dry heaving for 15 minutes. It was a long ride home in the truck too. When the dog and I walked in the back door my Ex went ballistic. It took a while for the dog to get rid of the smell as well as the truck. I showered and scrubbed maybe ten times until the smell went away.

It is one nasty smell.

Chris

SteveA

Last time you'll be allowed to watch the dog.  It happened to our boxer once and we mistakenly brought her in the house to wash her down.  Should have kept her outside until she was clean.  We know better now.

SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

On our way to work one morning, we passed this huge dead skunk on the side of the road.  Ugh!  All morning long, the topic of conversation at work was "that huge dead skunk on the side of the road".

I had lunch with a woman I had worked with a few years earlier.  When we met, she was visibly upset.  I asked her what was wrong and she told me that her hubby had allowed her to drive his pride and joy: a brand new pick-up.  You guessed it, she was the lucky driver who hit that huge dead skunk on the side of the road.  They divorced a few years later.  I always wondered if that skunk was the tipping point of their marriage.

Virginia

sofadoc

A friend of mine lives in a mobile home outside of town. A skunk sprayed up under their house.
The wife completely freaked. She claimed that the smell had permeated everything in the house. Even the dishes. She tossed all her clothes, and countless other items in the house. And she refused to go out in public for several weeks.

What was funny about it, was that their property had a septic tank that was constantly backing up. Their whole yard usually smelled like a toilet. But that never bothered her.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

There is more wildlife in down town Kenora than there is in the bush, I'm not exaggerating. Including skunks.

Short version; Second floor apt with a fenced area at the bottom of the stairs for the BLACK AND WHITE MARKINGS  dog, skunks in the yard regularly, gate got left open, I I let the dawg out

I went out onto the patio and looked down and realized Buddy was AWOL so I called him and came right back and we went inside for supper. About the time the potatoes got to boiling Winnie goes " there's something wrong with Buddy". I come out to the hall and he's frothing at the mouth and kinda glassy eyed. Great ---rabies!!! We just lost our lab while in care of our local vet , so I call old 'Doc Snieder over in Dryden on the after hours line (I've already got Win putting his blanket and a shot gun in the truck) and tell him the story. His first question was "smell his breath". OOOGH, he hadn't been bitten. Buddy loved all floor dwellers---obviously the skunk not so much. In all the 17 or 18 years that I got to share with him, that's the only time I remember him letting us brush his teeth. The two times I had to dig a stuck rib bone out from between his top teeth was whole different story.

Chris is right about the home remedies. Get the stuff from the vet. I think I remember seeing it in the pet shop I used to frequent before Buddy passed,also.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

I wish I had sympathy, Gene, but you know how I feel.  Could have just as easily you could have been the "innocent neighbor."    Karma's a bitch, eh? 

My neighbor is in the process of fixing a 6" hole from the squirrel nesting in their attic.  That's this summer's project in a string of annual repairs.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

scott_san_diego

I know I am a little late to this post.  But one time our dog got skunked and the following recipie worked great.

Combine 1/2 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/8 cup of baking soda, and 1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap in an open container.  Apply the solution liberally throughout your dog's coat and suds him up well (to the skin). Avoid getting any solution in his eyes. Let it sit as long as you can, then rinse them off.

Mike

ive seen raccoon's, rabbits,  hogs panthers, bob cats, gators, armadillos,  but never a skunk in florida yet,

NDAV8R

Quote from: Mike on September 05, 2015, 05:35:41 pm
ive seen raccoon's, rabbits,  hogs panthers, bob cats, gators, armadillos,  but never a skunk in florida yet,

Hey there Mike, I'm coming down to Florida in December!
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

Mike

stickandtin

I can vouch for the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish washing liquid recipe. I was a
pro bird do trainer for 21 years. Had my fair share of dogs running into skunks during field trials and hunting. I mixed the recipe a little different. Used equal parts of each ingredient and always used blue dawn.