Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 09:21:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fabric Source

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, August 15, 2015, 04:28:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

We have a new restaurant gearing up for its Grand Opening in town: Royal Indian Cuisine.  Contractor approached me Tuesday of last week about doing some work for them.  He then called me on Thursday wanting to email me some photos of the building.  My email addy is my first/last name so can be difficult to spell correctly.  I had given out a business card which he confessed to losing.

Finally got his email this morning and then went over to the restaurant this morning to measure and talk specifics with contractor.  What I would be doing would be sewing the draperies/swags/sheers for the windows.  Fabric needs to be an authentic Indian drapery fabric.  I've spent most of the afternoon trying to find Indian drapery fabric.  I've found Indian clothing fabric but this needs to be of a heavier fabric.

Can anyone point me in the direction for a source for authentic Indian fabric suitable for constructing draperies?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Virginia

Mojo

Virg:

I would contact a few of the supply houses and ask them if they know of any sources.
Bobbin may know as she has done alot of work in draperies.

This sounds like it is going to be a royal PITA to source this fabric. It is hard not to think
that there is something out there readily available that would come close to looking authentic.

Funny this is an Indian Restaurant. We had one open here and they closed in a years time.

Chris

Virgs Sew n Sew

Thanks Chris!

Sent bobbin a message so we will see if she can direct me.  Doesn't have to be authentic as much as good quality and a great replica of the design that I've been given.

Thanks so much for hopefully heading me in the correct direction.

Yes, finding the fabric is going to be a RPITA. ; )

Virginia

SteveA

I have no idea where you'd get the fabric but the style paisley comes to mind when searching.
SA

gene

http://www.arteefabricsandhome.com/indexmain.php

The link shows all their store locations. They opened a store near me not too long ago.

It's my understanding that all their fabrics come from India.

शुभकामनाएँ (best of luck in Hindi)

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Thanks Gene!

This fabric:

http://www.arteefabricsandhome.com/cart/sdr-frtn-rgl.html

is very close to the picture the contractor emailed me.  I sent him the link for a what do you think.

I appreciate the help.  I will also try to email contractor's fabric choice to these people to see if they have or can find.

Thanks again!

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

Did talk "turkey" with the contractor yesterday evening and my bid was accepted.  I felt like I was really over-estimating the hours required to complete the job but not having made drapes exactly like this before I can't be sure.  I've made most of the window treatments in our house and have altered a few sets for customers.  Plus, I have a great book on window treatments that shows swags exactly like what the customer wants so hopefully things will go without any issues.  Contractor also said that he "might" have found the fabric so I'm going to chill on fabric hunting until told that his lead didn't pan out.

I am pretty excited about this job.  I love being in on restaurants when they are first opening.  That was part of what made working on The Upper Deck so much fun.  Plus it was definitely a cash cow as Craig just kept finding new things to upholster, which was fun in itself ; )

Will be interesting to see if he actually has found the correct fabric.  He will have to contact me before ordering so that he gets the correct yardage.

Gotta get going.  Lots to do but I've been suffering from what the Military used to refer to as Lo-Mo (Low Motivation).  Lots of projects around the home that have required my attention, now trying to get the store room cleared out for that remodeling project, plus I haven't taken any kind of a vacation since about a year before Sew & Sew opened.  So it goes.

Have a great week everyone!

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

Met Contractor at Hobby Lobby this morning.  I'm generally not a fan of HL fabrics; however this fabric is similar to one I bought at Jo-Ann's a couple of years ago to cover an ottoman for the absolute sweetest little lady I've ever met in my life.  That fabric worked out very well so I've no issues with this fabric.  Not exactly like what I was sent a picture of but I like it and the owners like it and that's what counts.  We bought the roll and ordered another roll as well.

Really like the contractor.  Even though I thought I had a fair bid I guess it must have been fairly low as he told me while at HL that if I can get these drapes/swags done fairly quickly, he will increase my contract amount fairly substantially.  So, I guess I'll be burning some midnight oil.  Draperies will be fairly easy as that is just cut, hem and sew a pocket on the back for the hardware to go through.  Swags have a much higher level of difficulty but will be lots of fun I think.  Have the next week to clear the decks or see if I can move things back for a couple of weeks as the ordered fabric will not be in for at least a week.  Will get all of my embroidery jobs done this weekend and have 3 small upholstery jobs I should be able to knock out if I can get a good work week in. 

Having said that, I'm outta here and off to embroidery land.

Virginia

kodydog

live like its heaven on earth  ;)
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html