Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 07:30:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Budding Television Star

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, July 29, 2015, 07:58:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

I ran over to our Hy-Vee store yesterday morning to pick up a few things.  One of our local television reporters was there talking to people about the parking issues at the state fair last year and interviewed me.  I don't know how many other people she interviewed.  Part of my interview was aired on the 6 and 10 o'clock news.  So if you want to see what yours truly looks like, click on either of the following links (it was aired on two different televisions stations):

KHAS-TV link:

http://www.nbcneb.com/home/headlines/New-Safety-Precautions-Added-to-State-Fair-319074581.html

KOLN/KGIN-TV link:

http://www.1011now.com/centralnebraska/home/headlines/New-Safety-Precautions-Added-to-State-Fair-319074581.html

The stories are, if not identical, very similar.

Virginia

sofadoc

I think the first thing you should do, is hire an agent.

Just be careful if Bill Cosby offers to help you with your career.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

A year ago my neighbors Son was on TV - they could not figure out a way to save the video - they could only save the link -
Hope there's no rain this time -
SA

gene

You seem like a very nice lady.

If it wasn't for the microphone head in the picture it would have seemed that you were standing in the parking lot talking to no one.  :)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: sofadoc on July 29, 2015, 08:19:09 am
I think the first thing you should do, is hire an agent.

Just be careful if Bill Cosby offers to help you with your career.

I promise to run screaming in the opposite direction should Mr. Cosby offer advice.  Man, that dude may be the biggest hypocrite yet.  All of those tirades directed towards young black men not being responsible fathers/spouses/yada, yada, yada.  Then come to find out he's drugged and seduced young women for decades.  What a chump.  I really loved his "Why Is There Air" album from the 60's.  When he had his Fat Albert & friends cartoon show in the 70's, he lost me.  Did not like the Jello commercials and absolutely detested his show (The Cosby Show"????) in the 90's with Phyllis Rasheed and all of the kids.  Too much emphasis on precocious children.  I've always been turned off by shows with a bunch of kids.  Ugh.

Gene, too funny about the microphone head.  Hadn't even realized that but it almost does look like I'm talking to myself.  That would be nothing new though.

Towards the end of last year's fair, they finally started bringing in loads of gravel and dumping it in those huge ruts in the roads/parking areas and that helped greatly.  If they start doing that early this year, should we have tons of rain again, there shouldn't be any problems.

Less than a month away from the Fair now.  I love walking the midway (once is usually enough each year) and then spend hours in the quilt exhibit as a "white glove volunteer".  We wear aprons and white gloves and if anyone wants to look more closely at a a quilt or the backing, we are the only ones who are supposed to be touching the quilts.  The quilts are always gorgeous and I enjoy talking to people about them/showing the different quilts off/etc.

Virginia

sofadoc

Over 15 years ago, I turned on the TV at my shop and saw that the national network TV crews were doing a live report at the court house just around the corner from my shop.

It was some racism story. We had a lot of mysterious fires at local black churches. Anyway, I immediately ran around the corner, and began acting like an idiot in the background behind the reporters.

Everybody in town saw it. They all had a good laugh. But NOBODY got it on tape. This was before the days of I-phones and youtube.

BTW, it turned out that the church fires were not racially motivated. Just good old fashioned insurance fraud.

Virgs Sew n Sew

So none of the national camera crews got feed on that?  I'm forever seeing people flash the peace sign, jump up and down, wave like they've just seen their long-lost BFF, etc in the background of one story or another.

That's too funny that everyone in town saw it but no one got their camera out.

30+ years ago when Bob & I got married, it was on the side yard of our property.  Or, as I told people at the time, the marriage will take place on the East Lawn of The White House.  We had 2 dogs and my in-laws had 2 dogs.  MIL was supposed to take all 4 dogs to their Motel room before the ceremony started.  In her infinite wisdom, she decided that "Your dogs (and ours) want to see you get married."  So we had 4 very rowdy little dogs under feet all afternoon.  While we were saying our vows, I burst out laughing, because one of my MIL's two dogs had squatted right behind Pastor and peed.  Guess we knew what she thought of the marriage.  We had 3 people taking pictures and nobody got a shot of Snooky behind the Pastor "taking care of business". 

Virginia

gene

Quote... Mr. Cosby offer advice.  Man, that dude may be the biggest hypocrite yet.

I'd put Lance Armstrong right up there with a tie to Mr. Cosby. I recently watched the most recent documentary on this guy. Over the years when someone would tell the truth about him he went after them personally. He ruined many peoples' lives to preserve his lie. Hopefully he will spend most of his remaining years fighting law suits.

In terms of drugs in sports, our doped up guy beat your doped up guy. So what? But Armstrong made a lot of money hurting people to conceal his lies. And do you think the US Postal Service had no idea of the drug use? This may be where criminal charges might come from.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on July 30, 2015, 04:25:24 am
So none of the national camera crews got feed on that?  I'm forever seeing people flash the peace sign, jump up and down, wave like they've just seen their long-lost BFF, etc in the background of one story or another.

That's too funny that everyone in town saw it but no one got their camera out.
No, I mean that everyone in town saw it on live national TV, but nobody was taping the program. And this was in the days just before everybody carried a built-in video camera on their phone. By the time the story was repeated on the evening newscasts, my "performance" had been edited out.

It seems like nowadays, the more that a famous person in the news vehemently denies an accusation, the more you can rest assured that the accusation isn't even the half of it.

Virgs Sew n Sew

July 30, 2015, 07:51:16 am #10 Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:55:35 am by Virgs Sew n Sew
Armstrong is an interesting case.  There was just so much smoke, seemed like there had to be fire.  And yes, there was as it turned out in the end.

His ex-wife knew he was doping, the singer from Missouri that was his ex-girlfriend (can't think of her name -- first big single was "All I Wanna Do"), if I remember correctly, she admitted to knowing about his doping).  Thought that had to do with their break-up but could be wrong.

Then you go to baseball, seemed like everyone was doping.  Football we have deflategate.  Sports is not what it used to be.  Rarely watch any athletics anymore.

Too bad no one got that taped for you sofadoc.  That would be just way too much fun to look at again and again and again!

Virginia

sofadoc

Cheryl Crowe (Lance's ex).

With a few exceptions (such as Lance) I normally don't think less of cheating athletes. All athletes cheat. Some get caught, the rest don't. If they don't cheat, their career will be a short one.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: sofadoc on July 30, 2015, 08:29:28 am
Cheryl Crowe (Lance's ex).

With a few exceptions (such as Lance) I normally don't think less of cheating athletes. All athletes cheat. Some get caught, the rest don't. If they don't cheat, their career will be a short one.

That's a sad reflection on athletics.  Unfortunately, there is probably a great deal of truth in that.  In baseball, you can go back to "Say it ain't so Joe" which was what the White Socks???

College athletics is ripe with cheating, at least in Football.  I suspect all the Major college sports are full of cheaters cheating.

I suspect that it goes on at the HS level but don't know that for sure.  To me, it destroys the whole concept of "sporting contests".

Virginia

sofadoc

Thanks to me (again), we're getting way off the topic of Virginia moving to Hollywood. I just hope she doesn't forget all us "little people".

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on July 30, 2015, 10:37:39 am
College athletics is ripe with cheating, at least in Football.  I suspect all the Major college sports are full of cheaters cheating.

I suspect that it goes on at the HS level but don't know that for sure.  To me, it destroys the whole concept of "sporting contests".
But when you think about it. If everyone is cheating, doesn't that level the playing field? Nobody is really gaining a competitive edge.

A pro athlete has on average an 8-10 year window of opportunity to earn millions of dollars. Then that window closes forever. So is it worth the risk of bringing shame and disgrace to your reputation in order to make the most of that opportunity. Most would say yes.

Virgs Sew n Sew

I don't know about everyone else but to me it goes completely against the concept of "good sportsmanship" that I learned about.  And no, it is not done evenly across the board.  If you have big money donors, you can afford to "pay" under the table more than a small school or one who doesn't get as much TV revenue so the playing fields are not even.  That is why :cough cough: the SEC has a much stronger conference -- they have big money donors, better recruiting, more money from TV revenue, etc.

Having said all that, I promise to remember all of you little people when I make it big in Hollywood. If my career tanks, I'll just take up upholstery again.  ; )

Virginia