Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:42:35 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Our Dog Carly

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, August 18, 2014, 08:14:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Two days worth of antibiotics are in Carly (four days to go) but so far they seem to be doing the trick.  I haven't seen any straining from here today (our dogs go out under supervision due to a questionable motel catty-corner from us).  She's also not hell-bent on going outside every time you get up from your seat so that's another good sign.  As the old saying goes, the proof though will be in the pudding.

Hubby and I both so relieved that she seems to be getting back to her old self.

Thanks again everyone!

Virginia

Darren Henry

That's wonderfull news Virginia! Made my day. Finger's crossed that what ever that was is gone for good.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

Excellent news. I hate seeing animals in discomfort. :)

Chris

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Mojo on August 21, 2014, 02:31:18 pm
Excellent news. I hate seeing animals in discomfort. :)

Chris

Thanks!  Just wanted to post quickly that Carly finished her antibiotics on Saturday.  So far, knock on wood, she's doing great.  No straining or loose bowels.  I'm still in "keeping my fingers crossed" mode but if she remains as she is now for another few days, I'll feel like we're out of the woods on this one.

So glad that I still have my "sewing buddy" hanging with me is Sew & Sew.

Virginia

Darren Henry

As we say up here; RIGHT ON,EH!!! Buddy and I went through that a couple of years before his race was run, and I was in the same place as you and ?? (forgot hubbies name,sorry). I hoped that it would work out for you as well, but at that age I didn't want to give false hope or brag about our situation if yours  went sour.

Glad to hear all is well.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

August 26, 2014, 07:20:22 pm #20 Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:20:45 pm by kodydog
That's great to hear Virginia. I hope Carly gets back to her old self real soon.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on August 26, 2014, 04:09:46 pm
As we say up here; RIGHT ON,EH!!! Buddy and I went through that a couple of years before his race was run, and I was in the same place as you and ?? (forgot hubbies name,sorry). I hoped that it would work out for you as well, but at that age I didn't want to give false hope or brag about our situation if yours  went sour.

Glad to hear all is well.

We went through this about 2 years ago with her sibling, James (or Jimmy as I generally call him).  He got bronchitis, which I didn't know dogs even got and lost 10 pounds in nothing flat as he wouldn't eat because his throat was so inflamed.  I force fed him yogurt initially and then switched to the expensive dog food in what looks like hamburger wrapping.  You get it in the refrig section of the pet food department at HyVee.  Don't know how many grocery stores carry it.  Bob and I really thought Jimmy's number was up for sure on that one.  We could see every bone on his body.  Took about 6 months to get the weight back on him.  He's in good health now as well but has more "old man" tendencies since then.  Gets up more slowly, doesn't jump up on the bed anymore, sleeps more, etc.   We feel very fortunate that both dogs now have had a serious health issue and are still here with us.

We don't know their breeding for sure but both have shepherd markings.  Jimmy's head shape and mannerisms are definitely husky and Carly has the featherings and mannerisms of a retriever so we figure they have the blood of all three breeds.  Not a bad combination as far as temperament goes though Carly can be a little overprotective as far as barking when she sees someone on the other side of the street a block away.  Otherwise, she's a jewel and we're all allowed at least one flaw ; )

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: kodydog on August 26, 2014, 07:20:22 pm
That's great to hear Virginia. I hope Carly gets back to her old self real soon.

Oops, I spoke to soon.  Carly had an accident during the night.  While her stool was still firm, there were multiple piles, which is how things were when this first started.  I called the Vet's office already as Bob was ready to take her in and get the blood test started.  Much to my surprise, our Vet wants to put her back on the antibiotics for another 6 days with the understanding that if things go south again, our next step will be to get the blood work going.  I have a dentist appointment at 10, so I'll swing by the Vet's after my cleaning.

Hopefully, we just didn't quite get rid of things and another round of antibiotics will finish things off.

Virginia

Darren Henry

I've got my fingers crossed for you. I hope that's all it is.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on August 28, 2014, 03:31:14 pm
I've got my fingers crossed for you. I hope that's all it is.

Carly's bowels seem to be under control on the antibiotic but her "delicate tummy" issues also seem to be more frequent.  Don't know if that is because of the antibiotics or if there is a correlation to the other issues.  Regardless, I'm going to mention that to the Vet when she's off the antibiotics.  She had delicate tummy issues this morning and threw up.  Bob could not identify the substance in her vomit.  I was in the shower when this happened and he had cleaned things up before he told me.  I didn't want to rummage around the trash right after showering.  She hadn't eaten this morning and didn't take her first trip out for business reward nor had she gone to the kibble dish so I'm at a loss as to what she could possibly have eaten and thrown up.

Otherwise she seems fine, very alert, active, runs the steps most of the time like they are nothing, very loving.  We're just trying to keep a closer eye on her and will report to the Vet first thing Tuesday or sooner if we have an emergency with her.

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

Called the Vet first thing this morning and they squeezed Carly in this morning.  Bob just left to take her.  Her stool is relatively firm but she just strains every time she goes and if you compare the width of hers with her sibling, it seems pretty narrow like it's being squeezed by an obstruction of some kind.  Doc is going to do an exam, I'm sure feeling the bowel areas externally to see if she can feel anything.  Bob has our cell phone and will call to discuss our course of action if need me.  Due to Carly's age, we will not do surgery.  If we can bring her home for a while, so long as she's not in pain or a lot of discomfort then we will.

Crap, crap and crap.  Amazing how those little balls of fur steal your heart so quickly.

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

Bob and Carly (YAEH) got back.  Doc got the blood work going and gave Bob a prescription supplement (?) to add to wet food for 5 days.  Is supposed to help with her pooping/straining issues evidently.  Said that we might now hear on the blood work until as late as 6 PM on Wednesday so the waiting game continues.

I'm not sure who was happier that she was home:  Bob, myself, Carly or her littermate, Jimmy.  The two cats just kind of go along with the flow.

Virginia

Darren Henry

Quote-----so the waiting game continues.

Better a step to the left than a step back. Know that we're all thinking of you and Bob, and pulling for Carly.

Try to relax. Make a nice big supper----[jewish accent if some of it should fall on the floor--ooh---what can you do? [jewish accent .

Virgs Sew n Sew

Thanks Darren

Here's a recent picture of her, complete with big goofy eyebrows:

Virgs Sew n Sew

WHO HOO!

Carly's blood work was all perfect.  Vet said that it was hard to believe that the results were from an almost 12 year old dog.  She did say that we can't rule out an intestinal tumor but we are going to operate on the assumption that she's just had a bad intestinal virus and because of her age, it is taking a while to get it completely out of her system.  She has 3 more of the packets that are mixed in with wet food to go through and then we'll see what happens.  She did poop this morning with no straining and it seemed more normal in comparison with Jimmy's.  However, we thought that while she was on the first round of antibiotics too so I'm not going to jump for joy yet.

Very glad that Vet is happy with things, other than that we may have to consider intestinal tumor if things go south again but I'm not going to dwell on that.  She does want us to watch the amount of human food and keep her on Science Diet for older dogs and we'll go from there.

So, a good report all in all.

Virginia