Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 03:24:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Antique Loveseat/Chair Questions

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, August 05, 2014, 01:03:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Along with everything else that is going on, we are starting tear out on an antique loveseat/chair combo that a customer dropped off weekend before last.  I've been trying to take pictures each time hubby gets something significant torn out.  I have a before picture of the chair that I will get uploaded and posted in the next few days along with another picture.

First question pertains to the picture that shows the back with what appears to be some kind of steel wool.  What is this, what is its purpose and do I want to replace it or reuse it?  If I replace it, what should I replace it with?

Second question at this time is that so far everything seems to be attached with a string or very heavy thread and is either basted or whip stitched in place.  Do I want to continue this practice or should I either staple or use tacks on the restored project?

Thanks bunches!

Virginia

baileyuph

The old style techniques you see enabled the builder to add and secure the amount of padding (I am refering to the hand stitching).  It should be duplicated and if it makes sense to use the old, do it.

Doyle

chrisberry12

you got yourself in deep on this one. the steelwool looking stuff is either hogs hair or horse hair or a combination of both. Most pieces done this way should be done the same way. They are built to allow the modern ways of the trade, however it can be done. you hand stitch the hair to the burlap and then add another layer of burlap and hand stitch in an edgeroll and then again across the seat area to help shape and keep in place. I then add 1" foam and cotton and then do in muslin to see if I like it. then either add more padding or just the fabric. I very lengthy process and you need to charge a bunch for this very labor intensive.

Good Luck,

Chris

Virgs Sew n Sew

Thanks!  That's what hubby said (after lugging the furniture in -- grrrr).  Oh well, live and learn.  The pieces, still in need of repair, are just gorgeous and I know they will be even more gorgeous with the new fabric in place.  I appreciate the input.  Hope to get pictures uploaded today.  Crazy around here lately!

Virginia

Darren Henry

QuoteMost pieces done this way should be done the same way. They are built to allow the modern ways of the trade, however it can be done.

the guy who trained me always "modernized" antique pieces like that with foam instead of hair and cotton etc...he convinced me to re-cover my "red chair of death"* as a training exercise and had me do that. It's still a nice comfortable chair---but it isn't what it was by a whole bunch.

*The chair was so named because you couldn't stay awake in it. I'd get home from work around 10:30-11:00 plug the headphones in , crack a cold beer, and be sound asleep before I had to turn the LP over. It was quite often a short nap though as the arms are slanted inwards on the top. Physics dictates that when your wrist gets relaxed enough, the other half of that bottle of beer will tip over and land squarely on your lap.  :'( >:(
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

mike802

Hi Virginia:  I get a lot of this type of upholstery work, I guess you could call it a restoration more that just a simple recovering.  I have a video series on youtube that shows the whole process, you can watch the whole series (very lengthy) or just pick and choose the parts you have questions on.  The process I use is very similar to how it would have been done originally except I use bought edge roll and I do not sandwich my horsehair between two layers of burlap. 

http://youtu.be/OOM7FTJfeG8?list=PL0BD294FB1AA07F01
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Virgs Sew n Sew

Thanks all.  I keep getting waylaid on this:  Volkswagon (getting close to being done), restaurant chairs, Carly's issues, life in general.  I'm working on the chair this morning.  Finally got the pictures ready to upload:
http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/huskerslover2001/library/Antique%20Chair

hope I did that correctly (to get the entire chair directoryP

Virgs Sew n Sew

Think I did something wrong.  If you click on the link, you get all three pictures but they don't all display on the thread.  Will try this instead:

Also, wondered where you get the correct kind of upholstery thread for this.  It's like a thin string, if that makes sense.  Never had to purchase anything like this before.

Thanks for your assistance.  I'm really excited to actually working on this this morning!

Virginia

chrisberry12

button twine or nylon hand stitching thread. These are channel back chairs and very overstuffed. I bet you have some frame repair on these!!! you should research how to make channel backs, not very hard if done right. Good luck, don't forget to post after shots

Chris

MinUph

Virginia,
  You are delving into an antique that has been done not so well the last time. You asked about the steel wool. If it is hair I'd reuse it. If it in fact steel wool it doesn't belong. You also asked about twine. If you can find a flax or jute thread the size of nylon button twine this is what would be used to form the seat filling as mentioned by others. It is not a simple process and it is time consuming. It may not be necessary to get that far into the piece. Take off the fabric carefully so as to not disturb the filling under it and take some more pictures. It will help seeing what is under the fabric. As for the back that needs help. A channel back is sewn wedge shape sections for the front and then sewn to a backing like burlap or any fabric available as long as it is strong. Then the channels are filled from the top (wider part) with tins.
  The way these pieces look I'm sure you will make them much more appealing with some help.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

QuoteA channel back is sewn wedge shape sections for the front and then sewn to a backing like burlap or any fabric available as long as it is strong. Then the channels are filled from the top (wider part) with tins.

Paul is describing the traditional method of doing them. There have been scores of posts on here discussing other methods to skin the cat. When you get to that stage let us know. I have tried alot of the advice from those threads and would like to share my synopsis of what we discussed, and the method I general choose to use. I think many of the newer members would benefit as it's been a while since this has come up.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Thanks!

I'm still cutting fabric.   Thinking I will put the seat, welting and pleats in first and then be ready to tackle the channeling.  Hubby told me I would hate this project after he finished tear out but so far I'm really loving it.  It's a new technique so I'm learning and also I have a vision in my head of what these pieces are going to look like when finished so that keeps me primed as well.

Virginia