Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 04:20:09 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Remodeling Woes

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, January 08, 2016, 07:52:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Project has begun.  I spent the weekend before Christmas cleaning out my store room and wedging everything in my current laundry room and the furnace room.  Contractor moved my 4 storage units that contain what is referred to as my "fabric stash".    I now have to turn sideways to get through that area and to the cabinet where my Bernina resides.  So much fun!

So the plumber was supposed to spend Christmas Eve with the contractor tearing out concrete and roughing in plumbing.  Didn't hear from them but figured that they had better things to do on Christmas Eve.

Short version is that the plumber continues to be a no show.

This week is kind of a blur as far as what happened and didn't happen because of taking Jimmy in on Monday.  I know contractor emailed me Wed that he had gone back over to the owners of Royal Indian Cuisine Mon & Tues to do some work but that he and plumber would be there on Wed.  Plumber doesn't show up again so I call Ray and tell him that he needs to fire that guy and get plumber #2 in on the job.  He said that we didn't have much choice.  He calls me on Thur and says that plumber called him and that he would definitely be over.  You guessed it ... no plumber.  I emailed Ray and told him to:  #1 fire plumber; #2 hire plumber #2.  He agreed to do it (I thought).

I called him this morning and he asked me to trust him about plumber that I thought was fired.  He had already paid him retainer and said that he wanted to give him one more choice but that he & plumber would definitely be over no later than 9.  A little after 9, I sent Ray a message saying that if I hadn't seen the plumber by noon, I would call plumber #2 myself --- but that I needed to get this project done sooner rather than later.  A few minutes later, Ray shows up with one worker bee in tow and tells me plumber and electrician are on the way.  11 AM and electrician has come and gone but still no plumber.  Ray & I have another talk about plumber and he heads off to buy lumber for framing and also to the job site plumber #2 is working to talk to about the job (he says).

After lunch, I had to dash to JoAnn's for a project I'm working on for another customer this afternoon.  Came home to discover both contractor and original plumber.  GRRRR!  Instead of roughing in downstairs, he and his assistant were worrying about our low water pressure in the upstairs shower.  End of the day left the plumber promising to be here in the morning (Sat) to rough in as well as replace the valve in the shower which is believed to be the cause of the water pressure issues.

I'm not the happiest camper.  This project should not have taken more than a week.  It's been over 2 weeks and all I have to show for it is a huge mess in the basement and a garage full of new fixtures.  Contractor truly does know his stuff and the plumber did fabulous work at Royal Indian Cuisine, as well as showing up there on time.

Virginia

Darren Henry

Oh man! Sorry to hear you had such a bad week. Wanna borrow my pace stick? LOL.

Quotethe plumber promising to be here in the morning (Sat) to rough in as well as replace the valve in the shower which is believed to be the cause of the water pressure issues.

Before I call this guy an idiot or worse, jog my memory about the water pressure issue. Dad and I have done our own plumbing my entire life and I spent a year and a half renovating bathtubs professionally. It doesn't make sense to me.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

It is a true pleasure to be in a store and to work with an employee that is motivated to help me, and acts professionally and responsibly. I find this to be the rare exception, not the rule.

"What do I care? I just work here." This is usually what I find.

I was in a restaurant and the waitress was very friendly and motivated to serve us. I commented on this and my daughter said "She must be new".

We had a company put in new windows in our house not too long ago. He did a great job. Very professional. I have told many, many people about this company. They work by word of mouth. And they stay busy is a very competitive industry.

So many people get the homeowner to sign on the dotted line and then they put the homeowner on the list. They work the list based on who is screaming the loudest. I wonder if this is your issue, Virginia?

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Gene:

I decided that was my problem and started screaming loudly on Thursday.  I believe that is why the plumber showed up on Friday.  That plus the fact that I told the contractor that I would call plumber #2 if the dueche did not show up by COB Friday.  Actually I think it was supposed to be by noon on Friday but he didn't show up until around 2:30.

Update.  He should have been here by 10:30.  Now 1 PM and Ray assures me that plumber is getting parts and will be here soon.  Yup and I have some swamp land for sale too.

Darren:

Water pressure is only an issue in the shower.  Washer downstairs is fine.  Kitchen is fine.  Bathroom sink is fine.  We have replaced shower head and that is not an issue.  Ray said yesterday that they are confident it is the valve in the shower that needs to be replaced so they are going to cut an access panel or whatever so that they can get to the valve to replace it.  It really sucked that they didn't get it fixed yesterday as their trouble shooting made it MUCH worse.  I wash hair on Saturdays (for those who don't know, my hair is about an inch or two away from the top of my legs so it is a production to wash it).  It took much longer to get the shampoo and conditioner out as the pressure was incredibly bad.  Plus it was hard to get the temperature adjusted correctly as well.  Needless to say it really blew large chunks to shower today. 

Hoping the plumber shows up soon.

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

Plumber showed up a little after 1.  Apparently, needed to cut some more concrete so spent time doing that, unloaded some pipes, elbows, etc and decided they still needed some more pipe so were gone about 45 minutes.  They just pulled back up but are still in their van.  Hopefully it will take them about an hour to get the pipes roughed in as Ray is planning on finishing framing tomorrow and hopes to rock some too.  He is very optimistic though as he thought he might be able to start working on the floors.  OMG that sounds like 2 or 3 days work to me.  Of course though the room isn't huge and he's got half of the framing done so it should come along quickly.  I'm very excited to see the rough plumbing done and then I'll be fired up to see the framing and rocking done.  That will give me a feel for how it will look.

I told Ray I wanted it finished by next Friday, just as an arbitrary date but as I told Bob, as long as progress is being made I would not be upset if Friday was slipped back a day or two.  Disappointed as I cannot wait to take a nice soaking bath and very excited to have my bride come in for a fitting and be able to change in a place that is specifically designed for that.  This room is going to be so cool.

Then the old laundry room is going to be revamped and set up as organized storage.  I think once we get that done and everything in place, Ray is just dying to get into Sew & Sew and make it more organized/orderly.  He looks at some of my chaos that I can completely block out and I know it just drives him batty.  Cracks me up every time!

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

Plumber actually got all the rough in work done this afternoon which I consider something of a minor miracle.  When he told me he was finished, I asked him "What about replacing the valve in the upstairs shower?"  Remember that he spent all of Friday afternoon in my shower.  He gave me a total deadpan look and replied "I don't know nothing about that ma'am."  Bob quickly interjected that we would take it up with Ray. 

We did go buy another shower head this evening and it now has the pressure back to where it was before the spent Friday afternoon making the shower pressure worse (didn't know that was possible until this morning).  LOL  Hopefully Ray has a handle on getting that valve replaced as showering was absolutely miserable this morning and would have been that way even if I wasn't washing hair.

I refuse to let that upset me though as Ray is planning on spending all afternoon framing and rocking and assured me that he would be finished by Friday.  I think that is finished with the main room because he's got work to do in the old laundry room to get it turned into storage area.  But I desperately need to be able to clean up Sew & Sew and get a bride in for her next fitting.  Otherwise I'd be pretty chilled about it all.

Just glad that plumber got his work done today.  We don't need him back now until it's time to do whatever he has to do with the fixtures and that is at the end of the job.

Virginia

Darren Henry

QuoteWater pressure is only an issue in the shower.

Okay, that makes sense. I thought he was trying to blame the shower for an issue in the laundry room.

Glad to hear you're making headway.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Pleased to say that it appears we are cooking.  Ray and his helper were right on time this morning.  Just finished patching the concrete where they had to tear out so the plumbing could be roughed in.  Doing a little area clean up while waiting for the concrete to dry.  Cannot wait to see what all they accomplish today as I think the walls should be in and that will make it look like a room again.

Virginia

Darren Henry

Right on! I told you those bran muffins would work better than doughnuts [wink]Inside joke.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Ugh!

Progress is painfully slow.  Ray was ready for the electrician yesterday afternoon and electrician didn't come until this morning.  That was only to "look" and left and then came back about 1:30.  Electrician and his helper are now going great guns.

Bob & I are both really frustrated with Ray because he just does not communicate.  Left yesterday without saying that he was done for the day or when he would be back next.  That is a pet peeve of mine and it really torqued me off as I had talked to Ray about it in the morning, concerning George.  George is getting ready to remodel his kitchen so we sent Ray over there.  He owes George cabinet plans and has left him hanging for about a week.  I told Ray that George is a lot like us (hint hint hint) and that we are both understanding as hell if you are running behind or cannot get what you need from someone else but you have to call or email and tell us that.  If you don't, we are both going to get a case of the jaws. 

So, he left yesterday without communicating and he and the electrician split this morning without telling me what was going on.  As far as I knew, they were just blowing me off, except that Ray's compressor and a bunch of tools are in the basement but you get the drift of things.

So I waited until my top wasn't about to explode and then emailed Ray with the ground rules for the rest of the project.  Briefly:

1)  I need a goal list each day.  If you don't meet your goals, tell me why

2) Names and phone numbers of all subs

3)  If you leave to pick up supplies, lunch, end of day or whatever - give me the common courtesy of telling me where you are going and when I will see you next

4)  Fix my d*mn shower that is now leaking from where the plumber pulled all the pipes out (probably just needs plumbers tape but that is not my job as I didn't break it)

5)  COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE

Haven't heard from him about it yet.  I was really very nice as I complimented his work, etc but just said that we were worried about the deadline slipping because not much has gotten done so far this week.  Like how can we get done by COB Friday when electrician will be here all afternoon.  That means no drywall has yet to be hung.  I just don't see being done Friday.  If lots of work was being done, I would be down with it but 2-1/2 or 3 hours a day is not an honest day's work in my book.

Rant over!

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

I got an email early yesterday from Ray that he "knows remodeling can be frustrating".  Only when the contractor is an idiot and doesn't communicate with his client.  Grrr.  He also said that the electrician would be back in the morning.  I'm not sure why the electrician could not have told me before he left that he still needed to come back.

Anyway, morning drug on and no electrician.  Bob & I were beyond p*ssed.  I talked to George to make sure that he knew this guy is toxic and not to contract with him on his kitchen job.  George was floored when I explained to him our frustrations over communication issues plus the lack of overall progress.

Finally around 1:30-1:45, electrician pulls up.  He actually had worked for our electrician before breaking out on his own so is familiar with our house and wiring issues.  He spent maybe 45 minutes and was out of here by 3.  We waited until almost 4 before going to CNHS to look at Missy and no Ray, no big surprise.  At any rate, he has a key so could get himself in here had he wanted to do some work.  So that was 2-1/2 hours that contractor squandered as far as not showing up after the electrician was done.

We will see what shakes out today.  I'm sure he'll show up all full of promises as far as what he'll get done, work for 2 or 3 hours and then disappear for the rest of the day.  I just can't believe that he was willing to work in such a manner that he blew George's kitchen job.  George told me yesterday that he's prepared to spend 40K on this remodel.  That includes all new appliances, cupboards, an island, flooring, etc.  Not an insignificant job and would have put some serious change in this guy's bank account.  George called another contractor after our conversation.  Like I told George, I don't want his wife po'd at me because our contractor is dragging his heels on their job so much.

I told Bob I am sooooo glad that this is our last major renovation.  We need to paint a couple of rooms but other than that, just normal maintenance stuff.

So, we shall see what shakes out today.

Virginia

gene

I have a customer (Interior Designer) who lives in San Francisco. She has several clients in my area. Several years ago I was managing a big project for her, upholstery and window treatments on a house that was having a major addition added on. I used a window treatment installer recommended by the window treatment workshop. The window treatment installer almost got kicked off the job site for being an ass. This is how well the contractor was directing the work site. And I was in total agreement with the contractor.

Unforeseen problems can cause any remodeling project to be frustrating. Just how frustrating is totally the responsibility of the contractor, in my humble opinion.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Yeah, I totally agree.  I said that in an email to the contractor yesterday.  That Bob & I would be much less frustrated if he could bother to tell us when he would be here.  If he is delayed by something, let me know.  I might not like it but at least I would KNOW and not be sitting here wondering when or if he is going to show for the day. 

If I could kick him off the job I would at this point.  We paid a lot up front so that he could buy lumber, fixtures, paint, tile, etc., as well as give the plumber and electrician their draws up front. 

His compressor and a variety of other tools are in my unfinished room.  I told Bob that if he were to come by and want to pick up a tool (should I not be here), the correct response is:  "You will pry them out of my cold, dead hand." ; )

I am serious though that he will not move any equipment out until I am satisfied with the progress in the basement.  I tried being firm but nice in the email so now it's time to be an @ss.

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

OK, so electrician finished Wed afternoon (around 3:30) and no contractor remainder of the afternoon.  No contractor on Thur, Fri, or Saturday either.  I also left voice mail and emailed without receiving a response.  Finally in total desperation, I left a voice mail with his ex (really hated to do that -- seriously -- but I was started to get worried about the guy as well as being madder than a wet hornet).  Still no response.

So, I had a talk with myself and decided that if he was upset with me, he was enjoying watching me squirm and wriggle around trying to get him to communicate with me.  I decided that I would completely ignore him this week if he didn't show up, as in no phone calls or emails checking to see where he is and what his schedule is.

I also decided that I had to organize S&S as much as possible as all of my fabric stash was just kind of strewn about S&S.  I looked over the new digs and could tell that there wasn't going to be a good spot in either of the new rooms.  Don't want to hide it away in the furnace room as it's too easy to forget what you have and a hassle to get in and root around.  So I moved things around so that I could give all 4 storage bins proper locations and then actually had some fun refolding, sorting, organizing and putting away all of my gorgeous fabric.  Cannot wait for this job to be finished so that I can get some of this stuff out and start using it.  Anyway, S&S looks much better now and I felt better about how I spent my time.  Was definitely better than feeling my blood pressure rise every time I thought about what all isn't getting done.

So, I was just getting ready to shower this morning when I got an email from contractor "apologizing" because he and his two youngest had the flu for the last 4 or 5 days.  Man, I've had horrible flu, etc but I could always take time to send a one line email.  Seriously, I had larangitus a year or so ago and Bob took messages, I would write out answers and then he called people back for me.  Whatever dude.  At any rate, he said he would be over mid-morning to dry wall.  It is now 11:45 and no sign of the contractor so Bob & I are surmising that he had a relapse.  LOL.  I am standing firm in my resolve to not call or email.  If he is really still sick it's only going to irritate him, he's probably not going to respond back anyway and I figure a waste of time.  What I'll do next week if he hasn't been here, I'm not really sure.  Open to suggestions.  Darren has given me an interesting approach.

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

I had some quiet time this morning, after I filled out an insurance form and decided it was time to do something.  Tried to call him but went to voice mail and then mail box was full so I couldn't leave a message so I sent a very carefully worded email.

Started out by asking how he and his kids were feeling.  Then detailed the amount of time that "work" has been done since last Monday (11th) which was 2-3 hours that day, he was here 15 minutes tops with the electrician and I've not seen him since then.  Told him that I thought he did fabulous work but that we were both stymied as far as why nothing was happening on the project.  I said that the time has come for him to get over here and get the project done ... or else.

So about 11:45, there is a knock on the back door and lo and behold, there stands my contractor and his assistant.  Supposedly they have both been sick, as well as all of their families.  Blah, blah, blah.  Both looked fine to me, but he made a big deal out of dashing upstairs and outside.  May really have been sick and still not feeling well but I'm just not sure.  Anyway, drywall is being put up as I type this.  A huge WHO HOOOOOOOO!  Progress, any progress is fabulous!

Virginia