Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 02:21:43 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sad Business Around Central Nebraska

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, January 13, 2015, 07:21:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

In the last few months, dogs are being stolen off of chains and out of yards in the Central Nebraska area.  Large dogs, a shepherd, husky mix and st Bernard were all found together, dead, lying next to railroad tracks.  Several others are missing subsequently.  One lady was able to prevent hers from being stolen: she had just let the dog out, stepped back in her house to answer the phone, looked out the window and saw a man throwing her dog into a van.  She ran out and up to the van and they threw her dog out (not seriously injured) and took out.  I don't think she got the license number. 

Director of the CNHS was interviewed last night and she said they have never had a situation such as this before.  Her gut feeling is that the dogs are being used when training other dogs for fighting.

This just twists my gut into knots, thinking how horrible it must be for these trusting, loving pets to be shoved into a pen so a trained fighting dog can maul them to death.  UGH.

Anyway, point of this is that police and shelter authorities are recommending that people not leave their pets tethered or left in a pen without being supervised.  Word of caution I guess as often times jerks will read or hear about this type of situation and decide it's an excellent idea.  Having pets microchipped will only help id if pet is stolen and killed.

We used to leave our dogs out all day.  Once I started working at home, our dogs were monitored outside.  In Leavenworth, we did it because we had a neighbor who could not determine what direction barking was coming from and kept reporting our dogs.  Animal control knew that I was going outside with ours and finally got the guy to figure out it was his next door neighbor's dogs not the people across the alley (idiot).  Once we got Carly & Jimmy, they had real separation issues (Carly would fling herself at the door over and over again if we tried to leave her outside).  I finally gave up and went outside with them.  Now that we're down to Jimmy only, he would go out by himself but it's such a habit now that we've continued it.  With everything going on, I'm glad that we are still going out with him.

Anyway, keep your eyes on your 4 legged friends.  There are a lot of really despicable people in the world.

Virginia

sofadoc

It's easy for most of us compassionate human beings to judge those who mistreat animals as among the lowest forms of human life.

But I have observed that there exists a culture of people that possess zero compassion for animals. Are they evil at heart? I don't know. Many of them grew up knowing no other standard of morality. To them, it's just another sport like deer hunting.

One thing is for sure though. Even if they don't consider what they do to be immoral in their own hearts, they DO know that it is illegal. And anyone who knowingly breaks the law, I have no compassion for.

I think they should be regarded as terrorists, and hunted down.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

Animals should always be cared for when in need.  I'd like to see a bill passed that would credit back a vet when an animal is in need, hurt, wild, or part of a Family that can't afford care.  What vet isn't compassionate enough to help out especially when there is some form of compensation. We spend billions on who knows what - put it toward animal care.
SA

Darren Henry

That is truly sick!!! I hope their next victim is a 200 lb. Rotty that has been released from police/military work for "over aggressive behaviour". I would then organize a welcoming committee for when they got out of hospital----To help put them back in!!! 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

bobbin

Look back in the history of many convicted sociopaths/felons and you will find they honed their skills on animals.  Many years ago (when we still paid for TV) there was a fascinating A&E program (hosted by Bill Kurtis ) on that very subject. 

I was a 4-Her and respect and proper husbandry was the mainstay of the program.  It didn't matter if the animal was destined for slaughter or was for enjoyment; the point was that all were to be treated with respect and compassion. 

Virgs Sew n Sew

I saw a show on Ted Bundy years ago and he kind of gloated when he talked about "learning to kill" and starting out on rabbits, cats, dogs, etc.  I am as disgusted today by it as I was when I first heard him. 

There was an idiot that lived about 3 blocks from me who killed a puppy who had messed on the floor by hitting it with a hammer in the head.  I, and many others, ripped the defense attorney in the letters to the editor of our paper.  She commented to the judge, prior to sentencing, "that after all, Your Honor, it was just a dog."  Probably 10 letters made exactly that point about sociopaths and learning to kill on animals. 

Virginia

bobbin

As repugnant as the defense attorney's (alleged) closing argument may've been, it is the job of a defense attorney to defend the accused to the best of his/her ability under the law, Virginia.  I think the greater issue is that we ("the law") need to put more weight behind addressing animal cruelty and adjusting penalties accordingly. 

"The greatness of a society and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals" Mahatma Gandi

Mike

January 15, 2015, 04:28:47 pm #7 Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 04:33:12 pm by Mike
,y brother had a stroke last month and a bypass surgery and rehab today one month later came home out 2 small dogs cavachons who hadn't seen his for a month I locked in a bedroom while he came in and sat down jenny who john is her favorite when I let them out she about froze in surprise when she saw him , it was so sweet

http://www.strokeboard.net/uploads/gallery/category_2/gallery_15609_2_35005.jpg

Darren Henry

Hey; John's looking pretty good all things considered. Bet he's glad to be home and getting some decent grub LOL.

[wink] If he slacks off  on his at home rehab----hide doggy treats in the pockets on his "needs help" side. She'll keep him moving. LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

I have serious issues with animal abusers and I will carry this one step further. I also have issues with men who abuse women. I cannot stand the thought of either and it seems that cowardly men who beat women also beat their animals. It seems that the man who goes into their backyard and kicks their dog also return to the house and  smack their wife. They are cowards.

Dog fighting is a crime that should carry very tough penalties. It is typically supported by the low life POS individuals who get a buzz out of watching one dog kill another. I have no feelings for these people whatsoever and would gladly take them for a stroll in the woods with a rope and many tall trees.

Throughout the USA wherever there is dog fighting rings you will find that the theft of family pets is high. As Virginia stated these guys steal " bait dogs " used to train fighting dogs, most of which are Pitbulls. The fighting dog is allowed to tear the bait dog to shred's and then that dog is dumped somewhere. I have read where they have found these bait dogs in dumpsters and along back country roads. Most were dead but a few were barely clinging to life and in immense pain.

Forgive me for saying this but people who steal bait dogs or are involved in dog fighting should be hunted down and disposed of. I guess the Marine in me comes out along with one of our old sayings
" Kill em all and let God sort em out ". I am a non violent person except in the case of child abuse, women abuse or animal abuse. Then the gloves come off and anything goes. I will defend a child, woman or animal even if it means giving up my life.

Bobbin: I seen the same A & E special and you are correct. Serial killers hone their skills on animals first before their twisted minds move on to human beings. I cannot get my own mind around the curelty and evil inside these people.

The more I know about people.....The more I love my dogs.

Chris

Virgs Sew n Sew

I love the knowledge that I gain every day from this site.  More importantly to me is that this group of very diverse people are united in their beliefs concerning torture of animals and small children.  Chris, I know you will fight to protect women but Bob has seen me in action on more than one occasion -- he said I did a better job of kicking tail than he could have ; )

Seriously, women in abusive relationships need all the help they can get because it started with mental abuse.  By the time the physical starts, they have already been convinced they deserve it, no one cares, etc.   Yes, all three types of scumbags ought to be tied to the tallest trees and then we would see how "tough" they are.

This is a great group of people here and I'm proud to consider all of you my friends.

There has not been any updates on this story in the last few days.  I don't see many of Jimmy's four-legged friends when we're out on our walks so I suspect that people are heeding the warnings and keeping their dogs in the house unless they are out under supervision.

Virginia

gene

January 16, 2015, 01:12:50 pm #11 Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:14:49 pm by gene
Peter Singer is a philosopher by trade. He has been a vegetarian for 35 years. He is not against eating meat.

In his philosophical work he has come to accept that the foundation of morality is not to cause suffering to other animals, including human animals.

To lie, cheat, steal, rape, murder is to cause suffering to those who were victimized and their family and friends.

He visited a slaughterhouse years ago and saw that needless suffering is a big part of the process of killing animals for food in our society. I won't go into details here, but you can find a lot of details for this online: google and youtube.

He does not eat meat because he does not want to be a part of this 'suffering' process in our meat industry.

I like his ideas. I also like bacon. So I am not a vegetarian yet. This is, however, the only reasonable explanation for being a vegetarian that I have found. (Yes, reasonable to me.)

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Virgs Sew n Sew

We have been trying to reduce our carbon footprint.  Not eating meat is a great way to reduce carbon footprints.  We used to eat 85% red meat and the other 15% pork and chicken.  We went completely meat free for about 6 weeks and then decided that we would keep it greatly reduced but not eliminated.

We last had steak probably 6 months ago.  We bought one and both agreed that we no longer liked how it tastes.  We eat a lot more cheese for main course as well as fruits/nuts.  I would say that now we are cheese/nuts 65-70%, turkey/chicken/pork 30-35% and red meat at best 5%.

Gene, I agree that meatpacking conditions are deplorable, both to the animal and to the environment.  We have JBS here in town and there are issues with a by-product that is being discharged into the water system.  It was to have been corrected 3 years ago and they keep hem-hawing around about it.  City should shut them down but won't because they are one of Grand Island's biggest employers, not to mention the feedlots that sell to them.  I worked at a feedlot 6 years ago and they probably ship 3-4 lots a day to JBS here so JBS has the upper hand.

I would like to be able to find free range chicken, eggs and turkey but not successful so far.  We keep working on eating less and less meat/fowl.  Perhaps in the next few years, it will not be necessary for me to find free range. 

If the world would all follow Peter Singer's philosophy this world would definitely be a better place but hate seems to have the upper hand.  With hate comes violence and/or war and so suffering continues all around.

Virginia

Darren Henry

QuoteSeriously, women in abusive relationships need all the help they can get because it started with mental abuse.  By the time the physical starts, they have already been convinced they deserve it, no one cares, etc.

That is too true and too sad! I've seen it often enough to be sick. Getting them that help is almost impossible unfortunately. Like the long  time inmates ( and basically they are) they are afraid of freedom and the chance to make their own decisions,and if the "handlers" catch wind of it they get put in their place big time! My latest experience was only this past summer; a lady I've know for years let it  slip that she had been abused by her late husband---her father---her grandfather---and now her new (not much of a man) friend. when I suggested she stand up for her self he and her daughter stripped her of her rights to communicate with "certain people".

Instead of hanging people like that we should paint their loins with gravy, tie them to the tree, and let them train the dogs!!!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Sometimes they try and are still not successful.  I had a very good friend that I worked with when I first moved in with Bob and worked in Kansas City.  If you met her, you would never have guessed she was abused.  He knew where to hit so that the bruises wouldn't show.  She was a descendent of one of the first Irish families to immigrate to KC and always rode in the first car or float in the annual St Patrick's Day Parade.  She was smart as a whip, funny as all get out and drop-dead gorgeous.  After her kids were out of the house, she decided enough was enough and filed for divorce and was able to obtain a restraining order against the jack-wad.  He was one of those "if I can't have her, nobody can" types.  He broke a window in the basement one night while she was asleep, crept upstairs and slit her throat.  Another friend from where she still worked called me and told me that the coroner said that she probably felt nothing.  I was relieved of that.  It got a lot of press due to her family heritage and I've always hoped that maybe her story convinced other women to get out before it was too late.  Teresa should have sold the house and moved but she told my friend that she felt that he had stolen enough from her and she didn't want to lose her house and all her good memories of watching her children grow up in it.  Such a needless death.

Virginia