Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 03:01:20 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Button Question

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, October 08, 2014, 09:52:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

October 08, 2014, 09:52:49 am Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:02:25 am by Virgs Sew n Sew
Looking at buttons for my channel back project.   I was hoping to reuse the existing button, pop out the old fabric and replace.  That doesn't seem like it will work very well.

What purpose is there for a flat back button?

Also, the buttons that I took off have the typical front, the fabric covers the front, then it looks like it is a hollow back put in place.  The button was then filled with a fabric and then thread was drawn through the fabric that protrudes from the back.  Not sure what the fabric is.  Too soft for burlap but the weave is similar to the weave of burlap.  What kind of buttons are these?  Any benefit to trying to replicate them or just use the standard wire loop back?

Thanks!

Virginia

kodydog

Are you sure you need buttons. My experience has been buttons are used when covering over the old fabric. Too lazy or inexperienced to do it the right way. Just push the fabric into the channel, pop the button in and say good enough. I personally think buttons take away form the detail of a true channel back chair. Of course I don't just automatically do this, gotta get the customers permission first usually pointing it out and explaining when picking it up.

The old button you have is just another type. The standard wire loop buttons will work fine.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virgs Sew n Sew

October 08, 2014, 01:01:46 pm #2 Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:21:06 pm by Virgs Sew n Sew
Quote from: kodydog on October 08, 2014, 10:38:58 am
Are you sure you need buttons.

Thanks!

These buttons aren't on the channel back area.  They are on the pleated skirt area.  I'll take a peak at what the skirting would look like without them.  The pleated skirting is fastened to the underneath of the chair and the buttons are placed about an inch and a half up from the bottom on the pleating.  

Here's a picture that shows where the buttons are:

Virginia

sofadoc

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on October 08, 2014, 09:52:49 am
What purpose is there for a flat back button?
That is an old style button that was designed for leather tufting, so the hole in the leather wouldn't get enlarged by the wire loop.

Like kody says, no reason why you can't use standard wire eye buttons.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

October 08, 2014, 03:28:21 pm #4 Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 06:05:16 pm by MinUph
As sofa said those buttons were from before the loop backs came out. I used them for years and still miss them. In some instances they were very good because they pulled tighter but they are no longer made. We are stuck with the loop backs which come in two styles small loop and larger loops. The smaller are better. Both types are now metal loops.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

If this is the channel back we are talking about on your other thread---I'd go individual channels so I could "mitre" where the fabric crosses over the top of the back, or pleat if required.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on October 08, 2014, 01:01:46 pm

Here's a picture that shows where the buttons are:

Virginia

Those buttons I would leave in. It gives it a vintage and detailed look. IMO

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on October 08, 2014, 04:12:28 pm
If this is the channel back we are talking about on your other thread---I'd go individual channels so I could "mitre" where the fabric crosses over the top of the back, or pleat if required.

This is the same channel back, but again the buttons are on the pleating at the base of the chair, not on the individual channels.

Thanks!

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: kodydog on October 09, 2014, 06:44:59 am

Those buttons I would leave in. It gives it a vintage and detailed look. IMO

Thanks!

I liked how they looked and wasn't sure how the pleating would look without the buttons.  Those are the only buttons on the pieces.  The channels are straight channels and will be redone in that fashion as well.

I had a second question, actually it was my first question, that I am still curious about.  I have no need of the information for my channel back project, just curiosity and knowing it might come in handy for a future project.

What are flat back buttons used for?  Saw that type of back when I was looking at buttons.  What might they be used for?

Thanks!

Virginia

kodydog

Read Sofa's and Paul's response.^^

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: kodydog on October 09, 2014, 10:41:56 am
Read Sofa's and Paul's response.^^

Sorry, I thought those remarks were about the style of button I took off the chair.  My bad.

Thanks!

Virginia

Dede

Quote from: MinUph on October 08, 2014, 03:28:21 pm
As sofa said those buttons were from before the loop backs came out. I used them for years and still miss them. In some instances they were very good because they pulled tighter but they are no longer made. We are stuck with the loop backs which come in two styles small loop and larger loops. The smaller are better. Both types are now metal loops.

Does anyone have a photo of these buttons, or know what they were actually called?  Are you describing a pad shank button, maybe?  (aka canvas back).
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

MinUph

Yes dede they are canvas backs.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

chrisberry12

The buttons are just a different generation as with anything else. They found a cheaper, easier, faster way of making button parts and that is what we have today and they really are cheap crap. Don't worry about it, it does not make any difference what kind of button it is, they all do the same thing. The "channel" on the lower part of the chair is in fact not channels but just a pleated band. The buttons are just for decoration, they have no purpose. As far as buttons in a channeled inside back, if they are put in where the top of the arm meets the back going in a horizontal line across the inside back this looks really awesome and have done several times.

Chris

Dede

Quote from: MinUph on October 10, 2014, 02:47:55 am
Yes dede they are canvas backs.

I can tell you what's going on with canvas backs!  Bad news, good news...

They were made in the USA up until the 1980s... until the machine broke (yes, seriously).  They were sold off until stock was depleted and the machine was finally sold for scrap in 2012.  The factory had hoped interest would rebound enough to justify the cost of repairing the machine, but it never did.

However... they are still popular in Europe, and a German factory is still making them.  Available only in aluminum, so they must be paired with aluminum shells -- if used in an American die, must be a low wall AL shell.  They are surprisingly strong, for aluminum.  I made woven Sunbrella samples that are holding up just fine, and a woman I know uses them with coat-weight wool.

To Chris (chrisberry12):  button parts, at least American button parts, are made in exactly the same way as they were when Virginia's chair was first made.  Victorian technology, baby!
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com