Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 09:01:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

ottoman

Started by n01945, October 04, 2010, 05:46:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

n01945

Hi - I'm working on a long ottoman w/ a striped fabric. The width of the fabric is  1" short on each side from where the original boxing/welt was stapled. Would you add 1" to the boxing height, or would you add additional fabric on each side. This would make a seam though so I'm not sure which way to go since I'm soooo close.  I've pulled it so tight to the original welt line, the tacks kept popping out! Good thing I was wearing my glasses - yikes!
Any thoughts?
Nora

JuneC

Now I don't do furniture, but in the past when I've made horrible mistakes in boat covers or whatever, I try to modify by adding a "design element".  Feature it!  I'd probably add a strip to the boxing in a complementary or contrasting solid color.  I assume your stripes in the boxing are vertical?  You could add a "frame" to the top plate, making it bigger, but would the edges line up the right places on the edge of the cushion? 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

ThrowMeAPillow

I can't imagine doing anything except seaming the top to make it the proper width.  pulling and stretching is a bad idea.  If I understand you properly, adding to the boxing would bring the welt up to the top to make up for the top being too short to make it... not a good idea.

gene

Do the stripes run the length of the ottoman, or the width? If the stripes run the width, and I understand correctly that the width of the fabric is not wide enough, then if you add fabric to the width, you will need to match the stripes when you sew on extra fabric.

If you add an inch to the boxing height, is there wood underneath at that place to staple into?

Another idea, (pictures would be helpful to know if this is a good idea or not), is: if there is wood at the 1" higher place, staple the top fabric at this point, along with the corner pleats. Staple single welt cord all around at this point also, then staple the boxing fabric upside down on the welt cord, add chip strip to keep the welt cord nice and straight, add a little batting, then pull the boxing down and staple under the ottoman. Add welt cord around the base of the ottoman and you will have the boxing outlined, top and bottom, with welt cord. This can be a great look, depending on the ottoman and the fabric and where it is going to be used, etc.

Good luck,

Gene  

PS: When you have the top fabric on the ottoman, slide your hand across the fabric and down the side, this is as tight as you want the fabric.

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

I would take some remnants & see how it seams. Usually putting your seam in the centre of the lighter colour gives your best result. Obviously cut one piece 1/2" right of centre ,one 1/2"left of centre and use 1/2" allowance. Once sewn spray glue the salvage and the material on both sides and fold back like a french seam (or a luggage seam if you're a shoemaker) , then "roll" it with a wallpaper roller or the business end of a hammer like you're ironing it. Unless it's tissue paper thin the seam will go "bye bye". I just did the inside back of a tub chair for a motor home out of 5 pieces of the old plaidfabric (They didn't want to redo the three of them to match the new couch) . My boss has over 30 years experience and could not find the seams once I "quilted" it up.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!