Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 02:57:42 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

percentage on business brought in....

Started by n01945, May 28, 2015, 05:31:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

n01945

Hi all, I went to work for a design store as their in house upholsterer. What is a standard percentage to ask for from the owner for business I bring in? IE... I sell an upholstery job for a chair and a couch... 20%? 50%. I also get paid for doing the piece but is there a standard number or sales?

SteveA

If it was me I would not expect anything
SA

Mojo

I have a close friend working under the same arrangement but in a different industry.

He gets his normal salary plus 10 % of whatever business he personally brings in. I believe 10 % is fair
as the owner still has to pay the overhead, materials, taxes, etc. This percentage has been standard across many industries. Rarely do you ever see a percentage much above 10 %.

Chris

sofadoc

If there are any commissioned salespersons working there, maybe you should let them have the sale, and they kick some of their commission down to you.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

n01945

Boss offers commission on sales I bring in so I needed feedback on the industry standard. 10% is in the ballpark  - thanks

baileyuph

The practical answer to your question would require what is your workiig agreement on
what your basic pay is?

Are you paid only when there is work or for say 40 hours regardless of work to be done or not? 

Plus pay for an upholster should show some correlation with how good, how efficient, the employee is, how well and how much work you can do. 

Knowing the big picture, the type of customers and their demands for excellence all factor into what your pay is. 

Lots of questions/variables that haven't been explained.  Percentage is your question of work brought in but in all fairness of both one needs to know how much profit there is in what you sell.  Plus, how much skin you as a worker have in the working areement.

A lot, and you are a very capable worker, puts you in a better position of expectation.

What is your background, where have you worked before and what was that pay, and how much work can you produce and at what quality level - sort of repeating myself but all these are practical considerations in determining what your value is to the boss.

Doyle

kodydog

June 05, 2015, 05:37:10 am #6 Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:44:47 am by kodydog
I was offered a job in Jacksonville and they offered 10 % for jobs I brought in.

The last place I worked I brought in so much work it overwhelmed them. The per hour pay was good so I didn't feel bad that they didn't offer a finders fee. I was just glad we had plenty of work.

That is till one day the in-house decorator brought in a job and they gave her 10%. Kind of frosted my Frootloops but I never said anything.

Quote from: DB on June 04, 2015, 07:55:03 pm
The practical answer to your question would require what is your working agreement on
what your basic pay is?
Doyle

Doyle makes a good point. This should be discussed at time of employment. Wish I had thought to ask at my last job. 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html