Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 04:31:11 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

foam length

Started by n01945, April 26, 2012, 11:08:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

n01945

Hi  everyone, I'm making some cushions for a church. The seats are 15" depth by 159" length, 2" thick. Considering this length, should i be cutting this foam 1/4" short? There will be welt cord which at this length, I guess Iam worried about fit. Or, jut leave it alone?
Thanks
Nora

sofadoc

I would think that a 1/4" difference over such a long span would be negligible.
I usually leave a little overhang for a snug fit.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

DBR1957

For that length 1/4" is nothing. My concern would be the foam density. To soft foam
and the cushion will start looking sloppy fast.

For church you should really just cover a 2" board to keep the parishioners from
falling asleep. ;)

MinUph

Quote from: n01945 on April 26, 2012, 11:08:07 am
Hi  everyone, I'm making some cushions for a church. The seats are 15" depth by 159" length, 2" thick. Considering this length, should i be cutting this foam 1/4" short? There will be welt cord which at this length, I guess Iam worried about fit. Or, jut leave it alone?
Thanks
Nora

Hi Nora,
  Cut the foam 1/2" larger than the length and depth. Finish the boxing 1/2" smaller thank the foam. Normally its 1" larger for the foam. And with a dacron wrap it fills out nicely. Never cut smaller as it won't fill out properly.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

April 26, 2012, 06:04:43 pm #4 Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 05:57:55 am by kodydog
Good question Nora. When sewing a welt to a cushion 159" long be very careful the cushion doesn't "shrink" while sewing. I've seen cushions on some machines shrink as much as 2". The cure is to pull (stretch) front to back on the welt and fabric while sewing the welt to the top and bottom panel and while closing the cushion.

The foam needs to be a little larger than the casing. Add enough foam for push to eliminate wrinkles but not to much to make it bow. It may take a couple of try's on the first cushion to make it fit just right but after that you can cut the rest the same size. On a cushion with 2" foam the border should be cut 2-1/2" to finish 1-1/2"

Good luck. I'm sure it will be beautiful.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

n01945