Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 06:07:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How not to build furniture

Started by crosjn, October 25, 2012, 07:42:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

crosjn

We took in an ottoman for repair.  Customer complained that the corners of the ottoman had collapsed and also that the ottoman wasn't overly comfortable.  The story she told was that it was an "$1000 ottoman that she bought from The Dump for $300, but now they won't stand behind it."  If you aren't familiar, The Dump is supposedly an outlet that sells designer high-end furniture at closeout prices (usually from distressed manufacturers or something of the like.)

I'd been there before and generally was not impressed but this was my first repair on furniture specifically from the store (as the customer claimed.)

We get the cover off and find the corners are definitely in bad shape...

But when we flip it over, we really got a shock.  I've NEVER seen something so obviously wrong.  This picture was taken from the underside of the ottoman.  The lateral frame supports are level with the seating surface and there is NO jute, elastic or any other support for the foam.  Just the wood slats.  Poor foam never stood a chance.  (Sorry for the bad lighting in the photo!)

In this day of low-quality construction, I think this takes the cake.  Surprised it lasted 3 months (I suppose that speaks highly of the foam & glue!)  I suppose the moral is be ware of $1000 ottomans at close out prices!  :)

Jeff

sofadoc

We have a Dump store in Dallas. I'm also not impressed with the furniture. At least a store like Rooms-to-go doesn't even try to convince you that they're selling you a $3000 sofa for $1295. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Customer brought in a chair to the shop yesterday. No burlap over the zigger springs and rebonded foam on top. The foam looked like shredded foam  :o
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Ageorge

As someone who is newer to upholtsery (and not too familiar with construction of furniture yet)..why is this so wrong? I hope I don't sound too dumb, but are is they wood just not strong enough to hold up the foam? What if it was a solid piece of wood on top?

sofadoc

Quote from: Ageorge on October 26, 2012, 10:50:25 am
As someone who is newer to upholtsery (and not too familiar with construction of furniture yet)..why is this so wrong? I hope I don't sound too dumb, but are is they wood just not strong enough to hold up the foam? What if it was a solid piece of wood on top?
A solid piece of wood would hold up fine, although it wouldn't be as comfortable.
Those thin wooden slats will eventually break without any verticle support.

I've repaired a few ottos like that one. I didn't know that they were coming from The Dump.
When you walk in to that store, you realize immediately that there's a lot of "decoy" furniture.
Pieces that look like decent quality, but odd and/or mis-matched colors. They really don't expect you to buy these pieces (although you're certainly welcomed to purchase them if you want to). Those pieces are just there to create the illusion that everything else is high quality.

MinUph

Quote from: Ageorge on October 26, 2012, 10:50:25 am

The reason the foam is not supported by the wood slats is because when you sit on the piece the foam gets pressed between the slats and will cut the foam like a knife. Eventually the foam falls through the cracks and sticks there. Like the picture shows in the corner. My comment about the foam on top of the zigger springs is the same concept. They cut the foam and it gets stuck in between the springs. Fabric on top of the wood slats or zigger springs alleviates this.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Peppy

My guess is that ottoman was a packing crate for another piece of furniture or something and they turned it into an ottoman instead of throwing it out.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

byhammerandhand

:)

Quote from: Peppy on October 27, 2012, 03:27:51 pm
My guess is that ottoman was a packing crate for another piece of furniture or something and they turned it into an ottoman instead of throwing it out.

When Henry Ford was building Model Ts, Ford would specify the type and size of wood that components from vendors must be packed in.   His workers would disassemble the crates and use them as floorboards and other parts for the Model T.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Jano

Well no Dump for me.  My wife was wanting to go to one and check it out.

sofadoc

October 28, 2012, 06:09:10 am #9 Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 06:24:18 am by sofadoc
Quote from: crosjn on October 25, 2012, 07:42:47 am
The story she told was that it was an "$1000 ottoman that she bought from The Dump for $300
In reality, it was a $100 ottoman that she paid $300 for.

I'm picking a sofa up next week that came from The Dump. It's supposed to be one of those "high end designer" sofas that the customer got a huge discount on. But in the pics that she e-mailed to me, it looks like "run of the mill" crap.
It needs all kind of frame/spring repair. The Dump told her that they would stand behind it.........for $400.

kodydog

Really? A store called "The Dump". Sounds like that's where they get their furniture. I take that back, hate to give the local dump a bad name.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html