Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 10:58:19 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Barcalounger mech

Started by byhammerandhand, October 30, 2012, 04:34:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

Does anyone have a source for replacement mechanisms?  I have run into dead ends.  Leggett & Platt, my usual supplier, did not make them.

A couple of years ago, Barcalounger went through reorganization bankruptcy, sputtered and fumed, and eventually Ashley Furniture bought them.  Though it seems to be mostly just intellectual property as when I talked to them, they had started labeling their Chinese stuff with the name and had no idea about replacement parts.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

byhammerandhand

D'oh, I found some old notes and it turns out that Ultra-Mek ( repairs@ultramek.com ) is one of their OEM suppliers.   I've made a request to them.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

October 30, 2012, 07:30:46 pm #2 Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:31:11 pm by gene
Come on byhammer!!! At least give us a chance to get off topic on your topic before you post the answer.  8)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

While I offered to purchase a new one, they told me if I sent them the broken one with return shipping label, they'd repair within three business days and return to me.  No charge.
Keith

byhammerandhand

Obama care is killing me.

Got a notice in the mail yesterday.  We carry health insurance through my wife as a retiree.

1. Lifetime limit of $1,000,000    In today's environment, that doesn't go far.
2. Premiums up 20% next year
3. Retirees are now separated out so they don't have to comply with new insurance regs.

(Is that enough off-topic for ya?)
Keith

baileyuph

It would be interesting to understand the vendors limit of capability of repairing a mechanism.

I get into some that there is no apparent reason for disfunction except maybe loose joints.  Some are bent and apparent wear on others.

I put in a new one this week and it didn't function, sure is a lot of work for nothing when that happens and it wasn't apparent what caused the malfunction of the new unit.

Doyle

(off thread, but yes the cliff edge has many worried)

byhammerandhand

The photos I sent Ultra-Mek clearly indicated a fractured arm.   I don't know if they're going to rivet in a new arm or weld it back together.   They were really not interested in selling me a new mech.
Keith

byhammerandhand

November 13, 2012, 02:10:33 pm #7 Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:11:12 pm by byhammerandhand
Follow up:

Mech arrived this morning.  They replaced both halves with new.   My only cost was round-trip FexEx ticket, about $28.

Installed without incident -- all holes lined up, etc.
Keith

baileyuph

I don't think this off topic;  I know this week I have received at least 10 recliner mechanism jobs. 

It is difficult to figure out what is causing so many failures.  Today, while waiting on two replacement units to come in, I took the old ones and just starting analyzing them and found it has to be big people causing the problem.  The things are bent up pretty badly.

Are people just sitting, eating/drinking, and watching big screen?  You know the rest, getting bigger?

What a way to live, sounds boring.

Any who, tomorrow, If time allows I will fix three, but at any rate, I can't get caught up on them.

Now, I need to find a source for the recliner controllers.  Same place as the mechanisms?  So far, I have let the vendors figure out where to get parts.

Doyle