Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 09:52:32 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

recliner pulls

Started by byhammerandhand, June 15, 2012, 03:35:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

I have customer that wants me to start stocking recliner cable releases "parachute pulls"    My inventory is running low and I'm looking for a supplier.   I contacted Leggett & Platt and they carry some styles, but not the ones with springs on the end.   

Brief internet searches show a few places where I can get them, but L&P's are just over $7 each; the internet places want $25-33 each.   Whoa!  What kind of markup is that?  I don't mind stocking a dozen or so at $7 each, but am reluctant to pop down $300 for parts that I might not ever use.

Anyone know a good source for inexpensive pulls like these with D-handles on the opposite end?

For a discussion of types http://www.athomefurniturerepair.com/Release-Cables.html
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

Hammer, I'm guessing the customer is a furniture store. If it is why aren't they stocking the parts. I know we have to keep our customers happy but stocking parts we may never use is crazy. IMO.  :-\
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on June 15, 2012, 03:48:29 pm
Hammer, I'm guessing the customer is a furniture store. If it is why aren't they stocking the parts. I know we have to keep our customers happy but stocking parts we may never use is crazy
I recover 2 or 3 booth seats a year for a local restaurant chain. 1 yard per seat. They expect me to buy a 50 yard roll of vinyl just so I can give them a better price each time. What they don't know is that I already did get a 25 yard roll. But that doesn't mean that I'm passing the savings on to them. If they order work "one-at-a-time", then they don't get volume pricing. People foolishly think that Wal-Mart buys in bulk, and passes the savings on to them. While it's true that they do buy in bulk, they probably have a higher % retail mark-up than the local mom & pop store.

I stock a few of those release cables that don't have the spring. I gave around 7 bucks apiece for them. I don't know why adding one little spring shoots them from $7 to $25.
Some of those E-bay stores sell them on a "buy it now" OR "make offer" basis.
Can't hurt to try offering them less. That's how I got my springless ones for $7.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Wal Mart buys at the price they dictate. A company up in Ohio grows and sells raspberries. I was selling them packing materials years ago and they got their first order from Wal Mart. They were told what price to sell their jars of raspberry jams and jellies. They were also told how to package their products onto skids. They said any profits they would have made were spent on the packaging.

Often I would give someone a price for 300,000 boxes based on a volume discount and then they would place an order for 25,000 boxes at that same 'price per box' level for the 300,000.

Have you ever given a quote on a sofa that has 2 seat cushions and 2 back cushions and no skirt and when you go to pick up the sofa it actually has 3 seat cushions and 3 back cushions and a skirt? This is why I want to see a photo and all my estimates say "See e-mail and photos."

Thanks for the topic byhammerandhand. (Insert an annoying smiley face here.)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

June 18, 2012, 03:13:41 pm #4 Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:17:56 pm by byhammerandhand
I got a call back from one of the higher priced one
Qty 10-14 @ 15% discount
     15-19 @ 20%
     20+    @ 25%

Helps, but still not all that competitive.

I get the $7 ones directly from Leggett & Platt.  Their springs are on the kickout lever, not on the cable.     The only irritation I have with them is that I never know which of the two sites to go through for a given mech.  They are patient with me and send me to the right place if I start out wrong.    I eventually opened an account with them as otherwise, I'd have to send them a check before they packed and delivered.  If anyone needs one, I'd be glad to sell them for $28 each + shipping and handling.  But wait, call now and we'll send you a second one, pay only separate handling charge.   Or I can pass along my sales rep;s name and number.

I read "The Wal*mart Effect" a few years ago.   It gets worse.   Not only do they dictate price, but then demand a 4-5% reduction annually.   At first, it's easy o trim a little fat.  But soon, there's no more placed to trim costs, except sending more production offshore.  If you are a Wal*mart vendor, you've got a tiger by the tail.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

papasage

no  customer gits a discount  .from me  i charge  stores the same as individual  . auto dealers the same  to . no matter who youare  doing a job  for it takes the same amount of time . hourly rate is the same .they don`t like it they can kiss it  . if i go home tired  i want be hungry
just recovering 40 years