Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 12:09:53 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Problem customers

Started by byhammerandhand, February 29, 2012, 03:48:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

This week's schedule also reminded me of "Hammer's Corollary"
Problem customers come in threes.   When you have one nasty customer, you'll get another soon, then brace yourself for a third.

Quote from: gene on February 02, 2012, 05:49:33 am

"If, during the course of your day, you run into an a$$hole, then you ran into an a$$hole. If, during the course of your day, you run into 5 a$$holes, then you are an a$$hole."

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

Mine come in ones. Every so often

kodydog

Quote from: byhammerandhand on February 29, 2012, 03:48:42 pm
This week's schedule also reminded me of "Hammer's Corollary"
Problem customers come in threes.   When you have one nasty customer, you'll get another soon, then brace yourself for a third.

Two weeks ago I was 1/2 hour late for an appointment (got lost on the way). She cussed me out. Tomorrow I deliver 4 parsons chairs in striped silk. Can't believe it could get worse than this one.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

March 01, 2012, 07:01:54 pm #3 Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:05:07 pm by gene
kodydog, you may want to remind her that silk can stain easily. And with her being so 'full of it', she may want to do more, like actually stand up, rather than just lean to the side, when she breaks wind while sitting on these chairs.

Just trying to be of help.

Hey, what do you think she would say if you ran the stripes the wrong way?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

OMG Gene. Shes in her 80's so I try to give her a break. This lady wanted to be in complete control. I was trying to explain every detail of the job and at one point she had me running the stripe vertical on one side of the leg and horizontal on the other. Yikes!

byhammerandhand

March 01, 2012, 07:49:36 pm #5 Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:51:19 pm by byhammerandhand
I had a job last year when I showed up, no one was there.   I called and reached no one, but left a message.  I usually wait 15 minutes, at which point, if I have not heard from them, they have forgotten and are not just "running late."    After 20 minutes, I went back to the (condo) door to leave my card with a note and rang the bell again.  She answered and let me in.  She told me she was expecting me at 9:00 and had gone for a walk and apparently not bothered to check messages.  I get in and as required by the company I have to take before and after photos.   She starts hovering around making sure I get photos of this photos of that make sure I get detail etc.   There were a couple of smudges from the deliveryman's hands that were barely visible.   On top of that, I take about 4000 detail photos every year.   I think I have it down.  

While I'm working, she comes back down from upstairs and tells me that yes, the appointment was at 8:30.  No apology, just matter of fact.  

I could not wait to get out of there.

Quote from: kodydog on March 01, 2012, 06:27:51 pm
Two weeks ago I was 1/2 hour late for an appointment (got lost on the way). She cussed me out.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

bobbin

I've had a couple over the years, the worst being the neighbor who had the tantrum in my shop that I related on another thread.  Usually it's when the customer's expectations are beyond the scope of my professional ability, but years of experience have taught me to sniff those out pretty accurately and sidestep the minefield altogether. 

I can count on one hand the number of appointments I've missed in nearly 25 yrs., but it has happened.  I immediately call and apologize, make no excuses, and reschedule at the customer's convenience.  In my opinion, they have every right to be irritated about something like that and I simply let them vent and repeat my apology.

Older women are the toughest, I think, although I've had a couple of pretty obnoxious 30-something professional men, too (like the one who told me to make sure the right leg on his trousers was longer because, "I carry right; maybe you ought to measure the inseam on that leg...").  Lol. 

kodydog

Don't think I'd be measuring any inseams on that dude. ESPECIALLY if he carries to the right.  ???

mike802

Quote"I carry right;

Bobbin that can be taken a couple of different ways, I think I would have said, I prefer a shoulder harness, the draw is much faster.  Takes the sexual innuendo out of it and puts you on equal footing, weather you are "packin" or not.  Nobody deserves to be treated like that.  I once bought a trailer from a guy who was open carrying, I told him that looked like a nice peace and if I could take a look at it, surprisingly he obliged, so I asked him it he would like to see mine. It took the wind right out of his sails.  I can't stand it when people try to intimidate me.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

bobbin

I've been wearing "big girl panties" for many years now.  Foolish, strutting, puffed-up men several years my junior do not intimidate me one little bit; in fact, not very much does.  He was just a blowhard.  And now he's remembered as a funny anecdote, which is a fitting end indeed.   

He is proof positive that there is indeed an ass for every seat.   ::)

Mojo

Quote from: bobbin on March 02, 2012, 07:48:37 am
He is proof positive that there is indeed an ass for every seat.   ::)

Kind of reminds me of one of my favorite sayings......" Everyday forces me to add one more person to the long list of people who can KMA ". :)

Whenever I run into a difficult person in life I remind myself that it is all mind over matter.
" I do not mind and they do not matter ".  ;D

Chris

gene

I saw a video of Hollywood Squares, that old TV game show. Gilbert Godfreid was asked some question which I don't remember. He said he recently posed for Playgirl magazine. He then said, "Don't worry, you can't see anything. My thumb was in the way."
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

My husband has the best attitude in the world when it comes to dealing with a fool.  He says when he feels his anger and resentment rising he takes a breath and reminds himself that the irritating person was actually placed on this earth for his amusement.  He then soaks up all the details of the exchange, refuses to take the bait, and at the end of it he can't wait to get home to share the story with me! and we usually have a pretty good laugh about it. 

I have taken his witty and sage observation to heart.  And it has helped immeasurably!  Finding the "funny" in unpleasant encounters makes it easier to deal with them effectively. 

kodydog

We delivered the 4 parsons chairs today. We arrived exactly at 4:00 PM as scheduled. Knocked on the door and no answer. We waited 7 minutes and around the corner comes the dear lady walking her dog. She said she never expected me to be on time. Would have been real easy to cop a tude and get all pissy, but instead I laughed. Delivered the chairs and she inspected them closely and told me I do nice work.

Were hoping this will bring us much work as she knows a lot of people and if we can please her we can please anyone.

Mike