Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 08:32:04 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Replacing rear window in folding car roof. ?

Started by Grebo, October 30, 2011, 06:37:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

Right well first off, I am looking around for a car guy to quote on this but failing that I might have a go at it  :-X
The car is a 2002 Renault megane 1600cc cabriolet.
I have looked at the upholstery journal thingy on the 3 main types of car roof & I really don't want to get into taking it off.
So,  Is there any realistic way to replace the window with out removing the top? 

Suzi

TheHogRing

No - not unless you want to duct tape a new window on.

This is a one piece top. The only correct way to fix the window is to replace the entire top.

You may find an auto trimmer who is willing to take the top off, cut the window out, sew a new window in and reinstall the top. However, that fix - if it even works at all - won't last long, as the window needs to be heat sealed from the factory.

Sorry.

Grebo

October 31, 2011, 01:30:12 am #2 Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:31:02 am by Grebo
Thank you for that, the guy was talking about hand stitching it in  ???   Best of luck with that.

The only option I could come up with was sewing a window into a 'frame' of canvas then somehow ?? fixing the frame into the roof, some miracle wonder glue may be.

It still amazes me they come up with a great idea, then you tell them, well that's not going to be waterproof, you get , oh that's ok, yep until the first time it rains.  ::)

Suzi

TheHogRing

I hear you. But definitely don't go for the quick fix. Because once that fails and you realize that you'll have to dish out for the whole top after all, you'll wind up paying twice as much as you would have had you just did it right the first time around.

206RB

Had a customer last week with an Audi top whose window was de-laminating.
They had printed out the "instructions" from some internet forum where a guy had glued his back together with gorilla glue.
That's happening more and more these days.
Didn't get the job, and glad for it.

byhammerandhand

When I see a wood repair (attempt) with Gorilla Glue, I figure double the time to get it done over what it would be if they did nothing.  It's a shame -- I drive past their HQ at least once a week and have done a couple of jobs for their owners.  But you have to admire their marketing.  You can't pick up a magazine without seeing an ad for them.

On the other hand, I got some of their type II PVA and it is working well.

Quote from: 206RB on October 31, 2011, 05:52:08 pm
Had a customer last week with an Audi top whose window was de-laminating.
They had printed out the "instructions" from some internet forum where a guy had glued his back together with gorilla glue.
That's happening more and more these days.
Didn't get the job, and glad for it.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

R.A.F. CaNvAs

Yeah.... Not a job to be relished, or entered in to on a whim !
     Cud tell the punter to take the glass from the coffee table and stick it on
       with 5200 quick cure. 8)