Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 02:40:05 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

looking for ideas ?

Started by fragged8, October 18, 2011, 11:49:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

October 18, 2011, 11:49:25 am Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:51:54 am by fragged8
hiya guys

this is probably unusual for most of you guys but it's a fairly common boat
in North Norfolk which a very windswept place with drying harbours and open
marshland. because of the area the boats are mostly very tough with no modern
engines or electronics etc.

This customer wants a spraydodger and a curtain from the top of the dodger to
the stern. Whats bothering me is where to fix the frame and also fastening the dodger down.

you can see in the pic where my frame tool is so the frame can drop forward of the wood

am i being too picky ? my first thought is mount the frame on the side deck with main bow facing
forwards to enable stacking the frame, and i thought the cover and fasteners could go along the
hull edge just above the rope rub rail.

R.A.F. CaNvAs

Not for me to say , Being just a dress maker  ( I've turned a few hems in my time)... So what about,  side mounts,     frame inside ,    folding just on top of fwd angled woody bit,  thus missing the cleats , then cloth,crimplene, weathermax.. woteva nailed on the outside edge of the combing with galvanized clout nails !
But then again I dunno nowt about boats.
Howz the weather over there in Virginia ?   ???

fragged8

I wish i knew what Virgina is like   ? i'm in the Uk :-)
i like the clout nail idea but i'm not sure they'll hold in GRP ?

Rich

Mike8560

Less the owner want it otherwise I think for apearances I'd mount it like RAF sugested on thebinside and I'd fasten the canvas on  top edge of the wood that way the gunnels
would not be covered and if needed one could walk o. The gunnel to the bow. Bow that one big rope used for the rubrail.

fragged8

hiya

Y, I would like to mount on top but the customer wanted the frame
to stack on the front deck .

I guess i could tell him 'I want to do it this way'

I think i'll get him to come to the boat and give him the low down.

Hey RAF you got those pictures of the Burqa job you posted last year ?

JuneC

I like the way you have it laid out now.  I think I'd do as you have originally suggested with the hinges outside the wood and snaps/whatever along the rubrail.  For access forward when docking/anchoring, maybe a zip window in the front of the spray dodger.  Just my opinion. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

hiya

Thanks June, i appreciate it.

It's been over a year since I did a spray dodger  :o

Rich

Peppy

I'd do like RAF and mount on the inside. On track if it needed? And mount it to the wood bits, not the rope. If you snap to the outside I think it'll look too huge. Actually if it was up to me I'd make it look like a sporty windshield. But thats just me.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Darren Henry

My 1.97 ¢ would be to mount a track on the top of the gunnel as close as possible to the bright work and put a "kick" in the bottom of the frame to follow the hull.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!