Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 01:54:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Using the old canvas as a template for new canvas cover

Started by n01945, June 19, 2014, 02:00:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

n01945

Hi all, I am doing my first (and hopefully not my last) canvas bimini  for a water taxi. Its roughly 8'x20' . Any pros or con's, tips or "run for life" thoughts on using the orig canvas as a template? Its in okay shape (been patched over the years) and zips are a mess. Plus they wanted to change the color....Tad nervous but excited about this venture...
Thanks
Nora

Mike

the old canvas may be shunk or steached and not get a good pattern frok it ive seen many covers that were deformed and unable to lay flat like new canvas . you can do it but why cant you make a new pattern?   then you know its going to fit.  when we first stated doing this we made a canvas off a old canvas for a pattern the vustomer didn't know better and loved it after a few years when I jnew what I was doing I saw it and though uggg I did that   if this is your first and on a job that could give you referals why not do it right the best you can?

bobbin

I agree with Mike.  Using old canvas as a pattern is dangerous; you can never be certain that it fit well before and any little mistakes are repeated and can be magnified by using the old canvas.  I'd start from scratch and pattern for yourself. 

timtheboatguy

I agree with the above comments. The best looking bimini tops I have made were patterned and not copied off the old. I have made some tops using the old as a pattern only when the old top fit and looked correct and then I would mark the old top up anywhere it needed some adjustment.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Grebo

Mike said it all. It's not worth it, start from scratch.

Suzi

n01945

I had a feeling y'all were going to say that....the boat is an hour away so the guy who shrink wraps and referred me to this job brought the canvas by.. They want it done ASAP since the boat is used as  a taxi. I've never patterned something this big and I'm not sure I can commit the time due to lack of experience (how many trips to the boat ugh!) I took the job on bec I was thinking I could just make it from the original and save time and some how squeeze it in between the other jobs..but then I started REALLy thinking about it...hence this post.....this could turn into a major nightmare from what you are telling me.... Ugh what to do, what to do... Need to give them an estimate today too... Will ponder whilst fixing a settee..

Darren Henry

Quotethis could turn into a major nightmare from what you are telling me..

It usually does, at least in my experience. If you are going to risk it make them sign a waiver that all the "re-do's" and alterations are extra and that they will have to pay.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

ok o have used the old if I see it and it fit good I have remade from the old I have reciently had someone bring me a top canvas and say hed like a newone so I tell them it will be the same as this I I dond garrenty a perfect fit and they coe get it to install. so sence they delivered it are they going to come get it and reinstall?