Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 07:12:11 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Up-front costs and suppliers

Started by JDUpholstery, August 20, 2012, 07:40:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

August 23, 2012, 03:59:46 pm #15 Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:02:25 pm by byhammerandhand
One reason is that they're not here to defend themselves or to justify their rationale.

However, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=is+the+fastest+growing+supplier+of+mid-priced+multipurpose+fabrics%2C+to+the+design+trade.

Quote from: crosjn on August 23, 2012, 11:01:07 am
I have no idea why you wouldn't share the vendor's name.  It's their policy and it's going to apply to every upholsterer who calls them.  Why make the rest of the community figure it out instead of just telling us?  Or would it be helpful if I replied:

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

JDUpholstery

I don't name the supplier because I was just ranting, it did not matter who supplier was and I believe in keeping names out if it is nothing more than a rant....like they said it is common now, so I was not trying to bad mouth any specific company, just ranting about them wanting money up front....it is hard for a start up to toss out that coin when fabrics of this type are not the primary business, but something I am trying to expand into. If they did something that is unethical and I was pointing that out, I would say who/where to warn my fellow upholsterers!

JuneC

Quote from: crosjn on August 23, 2012, 11:01:07 am

On a related note, for Sunbrella fabric specifically, I've found I can buy it cheaper off the internet than I can from Trivantage by just googling what I need.  But I finally found a good sales rep at Keyston - they stock Sunbrella out of their Arizona branch.  He will quote me a Sunbrella price that is around 30% less than Trivantage. 

I've been buying from Keyston for probably 6 or 7 years.  I get most of my marine vinyls and a lot of supplies like sew foam and stainless staples from them but their Sunbrella used to be a LOT higher than Manart Hirsch.  I don't buy much at all from TriVantage, but JDUpholstery might do well to buy from a supplier close by to save shipping costs.  In any case, I'll have to price Keyston's Sunbrella again and compare with Manart.  Both of them are right down the road from me.  And you're correct, it's cheaper off the Internet, but I can't be sure I'm getting first quality or even Sunbrella (might be CoastGuard or some knockoff) and my reputation hangs in the balance. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on August 23, 2012, 03:59:46 pm
One reason is that they're not here to defend themselves or to justify their rationale.

There's really nothing to defend or justify. Those big ring books (or a set of smaller ones) probably cost $200 to manufacture and distribute. If they want a firm commitment in cash form, that's certainly their discretion.

Where I think that wholesalers drop the ball nowadays, is that they don't visit shops too much anymore to verify that a legitimate business (deserving of FREE sample books) exists.
Used to be, a salesman would roll into town, check the phone book for local shops, and walk in the shops with an armload of free sample books. With more and more stitchers working out of their garage now, there are just too many "virtual" storefronts.
Another problem is that sample books don't stay current as long as they used to. So they have to be choosy about doling them out.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

JD:

I was in your shoes a few short years ago. I was just starting up and had a helluva time getting good suppliers to work with me. I started out with Rochford and they sent me a sample book with what I needed and charged me a fee. They also said they would refund the entire amount once I hit $ 300 in orders. Yeah right. I never seen that money again. So I got PO'ed with their over the top shipping costs and went to Bry Tech down here in Florida. I had a few issues with them and did not like having a dedicated person to handle my account so I looked elsewhere. I finally got to the point that I was getting sick and tired of dealing with so many different suppliers.

This is when I hooked up with MiamiMike from Miami Corp. He is a member here and helps all of us from time to time so I tested the waters with them and found they were an awesome company to deal with. Mike looks after me quite well and is always there for me. He set me up with all my sample books I needed plus wall carpet charts and other things. Free. He has introduced me to the manufacturers reps and honchos and they now also supply me with a ton of marketing materials to help me promote my products and business. I now sole source everything I buy through Miami and this has really helped me as well because I spend less time chasing products and prices down. I just ordered some fabric today from them, the entire transaction took 3 minutes. I call, give them my name, tell them what I want and bingo within two hours it is packaged and on its way. They have all my financials ( credit card, etc. ) on file so the transactions are fast and smooth.

What is sad is I order so often all the sales people know my name. I just mention my name and they have my account pulled up. What this means is I order alot of product but the point is there was a time when I was ordering 3 yard cuts. Mike and Miami Corp still took a chance on me and treated me like I was a big customer. My business has grown and I now order 60 yard rolls at a time but the way they treat me now is no different then back when I was small.

I admit my positive experience with Miami is largely due to Mike. We have become fast friends and I think the world of him. He has saved my ass numerous times. When I had problems in the past with a product or whatever he took care of it. When I screwed up and order he went to bat for me and got me new product quickly. Whenever I have a question about a product he educates me. It is all about customer service and Mike provides some of the best. Because I am a heavy user of Sattler fabrics they keep rolls of certain colors stocked for me in Jacksonville. I could go on and on but the point is, having a personal relationship with your supplier really helps.

They ship out of Jacksonville, Cinci and New York BTW.

Give Mike a call and discuss setting up an account with him. Tell him I sent you which will get you a cup of coffee and a doughnut. :)

Chris

Mojo

I forgot to add in my last post.

Consider switching from Sunbrella to Recacril or Sattler. Both are much better products and the Rec and Sattler costs are 5 - 7 dollars a yard cheaper.

Recacril and Sattler have a different weave to them which prevents stretching. They are both European made and use premium yarns. They are used exclusively on high end commercial awning jobs and I use them exclusively for my slide toppers and awnings. Both are awesome acrylic fabrics.

There are several of us who have switched to Rec and Sattler and have had great luck with it.
Of course I appreciate the better margins I get by using them as well.

Chris

JDUpholstery

So I had told the supplier I just was not ready to take the risk, and left it at that...today I got a call from them and they are waiving the deposit and sending me books out, that renews my faith at least, that business still want the little guys selling for them

sofadoc

Quote from: JDUpholstery on August 28, 2012, 07:07:19 am
they are waiving the deposit and sending me books out, that renews my faith at least, that business still want the little guys selling for them
It seems to go in cycles every few years. When sales are good, they stop catering to the little fellas. When sales are down, they reach out to anyone and everyone.

Back in prehistoric times, when travelling salesmen still roamed the Earth, it was common for a salesman to quit one wholesale supplier and go to work for another. When that happened, he took the client list with him, and voila, you just got yourself another set of sample books!

JD: Glad they came through for you.

Mojo

Good deal JD. :)

I do not have many sample books but then I do not do furniture. I would assume that this is where you have to have a lot of sample books.

I am curious, how many books do you furniture guys have on hand ?

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on August 28, 2012, 02:41:28 pm
I am curious, how many books do you furniture guys have on hand ?
Too many to count. 200 to 300 for sure. And female customers aren't satisfied until they've gone through every one of them. And if there's a discontinued book somewhere in the cluster, you better believe that's the one they'll pick from.

JDUpholstery

There are just so many options that samples are way to go....I have tried to look at swatches online with a customer once and just about pulled my hair out!

mroy559

We've never was required to pay with an account setup. Sounds to me like they making the effort to make upwards for shedding sales, I might look in to some unique suppliers before I directed them the dime. Its kind of like having to pay for admission to help enter the store, I was a student in Maine antiquing as well as any go shopping that needed I shell out admission to help enter had been left unvisited.

JDUpholstery

was somewhat surprised by the package I got today, The rep said that they would send a couple books, but I got the same package they would have given with the deposit...15 sample books and a bunch of free crap...mousepads, etc...will definitely be trying to send them some orders soon!

mroy559

Really, if you're inside a rural area and just starting to dabble in furniture upholstery, it might be pretty tough heading to a awesome in 12 several weeks. But and then, if at this time there aren't numerous retail cloth stores in your neck in the woods, then you definately won't have all the COM, so you might be able to sell very much. Hard to mention.